2 years today since diagnosis, help required!!

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, hope all coping with these unprecedented times.
I would be grateful for some advice.
2 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2. Was pre diabetes for 20 years after developing gestational diabetes.
Original Hba1c was 67 over time got it down to 40 but in 6 months Ive lost the plot, back up to 50
Can people tell me what you eat for meals as I ate the same foods I didn’t enjoy to get down to 40. I need to find a way of doing this for life! Im only 46 and about half a stone over weight. I take meds for Cholesterol, blood pressure, B12, Iron & vitamin D... TIA

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some statins can raise blood glucose.

Have you looked at dietdoctor.com?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2. Was pre diabetes for 20 years after developing gestational diabetes.
Original Hba1c was 67 over time got it down to 40 but in 6 months Ive lost the plot, back up to 50
Can people tell me what you eat for meals as I ate the same foods I didn’t enjoy to get down to 40. I need to find a way of doing this for life! Im only 46 and about half a stone over weight. I take meds for Cholesterol, blood pressure, B12, Iron & vitamin D... TIA
See the links in my signature for some guidance and more links to other sites with food ideas.

What do you eat now? What do you not enjoy? What are you missing? We can probably make suggestions with more info.

The statins might well be raising the bgl too and maybe not doing anything positive either. Was it a blanket you’re diabetic so have statins prescription? No diabetic meds?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Glitter 2 agree with the comment re statins - my hba1c increased from 48 to 54 when I took them. Since coming off them due to other side effects my hba1c has remained at non-diabetic levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be easier if you gave us a clue as to what you enjoy eating?

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some statins can raise blood glucose.

Have you looked at dietdoctor.com?
I will look at diet doctor thank you.
I don’t think the statins effect my BG as it lowered significantly from diagnosis 67 to 40 Hba1c.Its my love of a traditional british diet that I cannot control. In 3 months my Hba1c has jumped from 40 to 50...

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be easier if you gave us a clue as to what you enjoy eating?
I am pretty traditional. Toast ( nimble bread), sandwiches and salad, crisps, cheese, meat, fish with potatoes and vegetables. Chocolate... usually 70% dark.

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Glitter 2 agree with the comment re statins - my hba1c increased from 48 to 54 when I took them. Since coming off them due to other side effects my hba1c has remained at non-diabetic levels.
Thats not the case for me fortunately. Its my love of bread, potatoes, crisps etc

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See the links in my signature for some guidance and more links to other sites with food ideas.

What do you eat now? What do you not enjoy? What are you missing? We can probably make suggestions with more info.

The statins might well be raising the bgl too and maybe not doing anything positive either. Was it a blanket you’re diabetic so have statins prescription? No diabetic meds?
Its not the statins as my Hba1c went from 67 to 40 and then in past 3 months I halved metformin to 500mg and its shot back up to 50.
I really love traditional food. Bread, potatoes, cheese,crisps, fish, meat, dark chocolate but I also eat veg salad and a daily banana in a morning smoothie.
Ive tried to eat low carb but crack everytime as I miss bread and potatoes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty traditional. Toast ( nimble bread), sandwiches and salad, crisps, cheese, meat, fish with potatoes and vegetables. Chocolate... usually 70% dark.

OK so toast, sandwiches, crisps, potatoes bad
Choc 70% maybe try going to 85-90% better
Salad, cheese, meat, fish above ground veg are great.
Just double those and ditch the bad stuff.

Eggs and bacon over toast, lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches (or even cheese wrapped in ham and vice versa) and as much meat, fish and green veg as you can manage.
Maybe try skipping the odd meal as well.
Coffee with double cream is a good breakfast alternative.
Edit to add ditch the banana too!

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that stopping eating all bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc and sticking to meat, fish, dairy and lots of green veg - cabbage, cucumber, courgettes etc did wonders for my BG and interestingly, my tastes have change enormously.

I used to love bread and potatoes and anything starchy, but now find it horribly bland and heavy to eat. The textures are all wrong - really claggy and not a pleasant mouth feel any more.

Give me lots of veggies, particularly raw ones, and I love the variety of tastes and textures, and feel so much more energetic.

If I eat the carby stuff I feel absolutely terrible after a few days and not great after a few hours. There is no way I want to swap feeling healthy and energetic for the dulling and lethargy that comes with the carbs.

I honestly think that a lot of the reason people feel they really need or want to eat carbs is the result of advertising and long term conditioning. I also have found that what I really missed about things like chips and toast was the fat and salt tastes, not the potato or bread vehicle they were on. I grill fish smeared with butter, and have it with a salad made of cabbage and cucumber, with plenty of salt and pepper and a fatty dressing, instead of fish and chips, and like it a lot better than the equivalent from a chip shop.

I stopped eating curry with rice years ago, as it tasted so much better on a bed of salad, and I didn't feel bloated and lethargic after the meal either. If you substitute low carb veggies for some of the carbs you love you may be surprised at how quickly you get used to the changes.