Starting to fast

Emmaathome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well. I have just finished reading "The obesity code" and "The Diabetes Code", and did a couple of one meal a day days. Yesterday lunch I had 2 egg omelette, and am still fasting - I was aiming to get to 48 hours, but I don't think that is going to happen - so will likely have an evening meal today. I did have a question though, what do I do when my blood sugar runs low? I just checked and I was 3.1 at 3.30pm, its now 2.6. At what stage will my body kick in and release some glucose, or do I need to go eat something? I stopped all insulin on 10th April, so assume most of that has left my system? And should I be worried that I feel fine with my BG so low? for me, 2.6 is ridiculously low!!!! Thanks for any help / advice.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Emmaathome and welcome!

You mention that you stopped insulin on 10th April. Are you taking any other diabetes related medication that has a blood sugar lowering effect?

For those managing in diet alone, the liver will usually kick in and boost blood glucose, but of you’re taking any medication then I’d suggest you should eat something when going that low.

Personally speaking I’m diet controlled and the only symptom I get when very low (being in the 3s is not unusual but have only dipped into the 2s once or twice) is being excessively hungry, so that means I tend to eat anyway. If for some reason eating is delayed, then my liver will help out.

If you’re at all unsure what is going on, then eating your next meal when low won’t do any harm and will prevent any hypo.

Are you getting any medical support with this? Speaking to your GP/nurse might also be helpful.

Emmaathome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Emmaathome and welcome!

You mention that you stopped insulin on 10th April. Are you taking any other diabetes related medication that has a blood sugar lowering effect?

For those managing in diet alone, the liver will usually kick in and boost blood glucose, but of you’re taking any medication then I’d suggest you should eat something when going that low.

Personally speaking I’m diet controlled and the only symptom I get when very low (being in the 3s is not unusual but have only dipped into the 2s once or twice) is being excessively hungry, so that means I tend to eat anyway. If for some reason eating is delayed, then my liver will help out.

If you’re at all unsure what is going on, then eating your next meal when low won’t do any harm and will prevent any hypo.

Are you getting any medical support with this? Speaking to your GP/nurse might also be helpful.
Thank you. I stopped my pioglitazone at the same time as insulin, and my sugars weren’t going above 3 by 7pm so opted to eat. Low carb meal followed by an hour walk. Thank you

Reactions: Goonergal