Liver Block for dawn phenomenon

Kirsteline

Hello, my Name is Kirsten from Germany. I have T2 Diabetes without medication (at the moment). My Problem is a high insulin level (PCOS in the past, now transition into menopause). I do moderate carb. My Problem is dawn phenomenon. I was on Byetta
once Weekly before and have lost 20 Pounds, but now it is no longer working.

I have read the Posts about liver block. Why do we take fat and not carbs to block the glycogen release? Can I take fat (fatty Protein) if I am Insulin resistant? I'm confused. Why not a carb? I try to reduce my bellyfat

Thank you for your help

Kirsti

Maleth

Hello, my Name is Kirsten from Germany. I have T2 Diabetes without medication (at the moment). My Problem is a high insulin level (PCOS in the past, now transition into menopause). I do moderate carb. My Problem is dawn phenomenon. I was on Byetta
once Weekly before and have lost 20 Pounds, but now it is no longer working.

I have read the Posts about liver block. Why do we take fat and not carbs to block the glycogen release? Can I take fat (fatty Protein) if I am Insulin resistant? I'm confused. Why not a carb? I try to reduce my bellyfat

Thank you for your help

Kirsti

Hello Kirsti, I also have dawn effect. I was diagnosed t2 mid December with a fasting glucose of 14.7. I got my meter and checked the offending foods and carbs where always tops including oatmeal all sugars and wheat (including brown) of course, Bananas also spike my sugar count. Now I get a morning reading that hovers between 7.5 and 6.8 but lower readings during the day especially in the after noon (5.6 / 4.8). I am not sure why there are people who think that Carbs are ok? :\ Its not my experience. I was on metformin for the first month which I stopped and the blood glucose still kept going down without meds. I believe that shedding a few more kilos and carry on with a very low carb diet (I dont do keto) will eventually bring the morning readings to normal.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it is a good question but my question would be why are you worrying about the dawn rise? If you are insulin resistant then the best thing you can do is drop the carbs enough so that your body can use body fat or the fat you are eating for fuel. In this way you will not jack up your insulin levels in response to eating carbs.
So I would suggest carring on with fatty meat and lower the carbs until you your fasting glucose is lower and remember that it is the overall average that matters rather than the natural spike you will get at dawn which is due to the hormones cortisol and glucagon.
Eating protein and fat in natural combinations will help your body resond to your own insulin much better in time.

Kirsteline

Hello Kirsti, I also have dawn effect. I was diagnosed t2 mid December with a fasting glucose of 14.7. I got my meter and checked the offending foods and carbs where always tops including oatmeal all sugars and wheat (including brown) of course, Bananas also spike my sugar count. Now I get a morning reading that hovers between 7.5 and 6.8 but lower readings during the day especially in the after noon (5.6 / 4.8). I am not sure why there are people who think that Carbs are ok? :\ Its not my experience. I was on metformin for the first month which I stopped and the blood glucose still kept going down without meds. I believe that shedding a few more kilos and carry on with a very low carb diet (I dont do keto) will eventually bring the morning readings to normal.
My glucose readings after meals are quite ok, but my Insulin level is higher. On Atkins Diet which I did About 10 years ago, I had lots of hypos.

Kirsteline

it is a good question but my question would be why are you worrying about the dawn rise? If you are insulin resistant then the best thing you can do is drop the carbs enough so that your body can use body fat or the fat you are eating for fuel. In this way you will not jack up your insulin levels in response to eating carbs.
So I would suggest carring on with fatty meat and lower the carbs until you your fasting glucose is lower and remember that it is the overall average that matters rather than the natural spike you will get at dawn which is due to the hormones cortisol and glucagon.
Eating protein and fat in natural combinations will help your body resond to your own insulin much better in time.
My Problem is that protein spikes my blood sugar and I do not feel good, if I eat a lot protein and for me it is a weight gainer.

Kirsteline

With lots of Meat I do not feel well and my blood sugar rises and sometimes I get Hypos. Tried low carb About 10 years ago

Maleth

My Problem is that protein spikes my blood sugar and I do not feel good, if I eat a lot protein and for me it is a weight gainer.

Sorry to read that. It shows how all different we are and need to find our own ways. Since I went on low carb (mainly cutting wheat, sugar and white potatoes) I lost nearly10kgs with no effort or sacrifice. I am generally feeling so much better. I had tested 6 times a day till a few days ago to see exactly what I could be comfortable with and eliminated the foods i mentioned including bananas and most shocking was oat meal. Spiked my blood sugar more than cake!! Strawberries, citrus and berries and kiwis have hardly an effect on my blood sugar levels. Also my blood pressure normalised. Hope you find a combination that can work for you.

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I have not heard of liver block by eating certain foods. It is a normal reaction of the liver to release glycogen upon waking for the body to have a source of energy. As Type 2 on medication such as tablets then controlling the BG level upon waking is going to be difficult. People on Insulin would manage it through a suitable basal dose given at night along with a good target level before going to bed.

Kirsteline

Sorry to read that. It shows how all different we are and need to find our own ways. Since I went on low carb (mainly cutting wheat, sugar and white potatoes) I lost nearly10kgs with no effort or sacrifice. I am generally feeling so much better. I had tested 6 times a day till a few days ago to see exactly what I could be comfortable with and eliminated the foods i mentioned including bananas and most shocking was oat meal. Spiked my blood sugar more than cake!! Strawberries, citrus and berries and kiwis have hardly an effect on my blood sugar levels. Also my blood pressure normalised. Hope you find a combination that can work for you.
Congrats to your weight loss

Kirsteline

I have not heard of liver block by eating certain foods. It is a normal reaction of the liver to release glycogen upon waking for the body to have a source of energy. As Type 2 on medication such as tablets then controlling the BG level upon waking is going to be difficult. People on Insulin would manage it through a suitable basal dose given at night along with a good target level before going to bed.
I'm very Insulin resistant and this makes my Insulin very high and I get tired.

peter-c

Good morning. I’ve been oscillating between prediabetes and type 2 for a few years, controlling insulin resistance with a low carb diet and exercise. On a good day fasting BG is 6.3-7.2 but recently has been 8+. It then goes right down after a 90 minute walk to 4.5-5. I brought my HbA1c BG right down with Michael Mosley’s Fast Diet 2 years ago and guess I need to do it again. It needs a lot of determination though and sometimes I can’t find the motivation. Its nice to communicate with others about this as my family doesn’t really understand.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem - 7ish in the morning and by 5 hours after breakfast my BS is in the low 5's . If I do a 20 mins brisk walk it can go down to 4,6!! The high morning readings really annoy me as it is what brings my Hb1Ac to 48 which is borderline for meds. Have been low carb/low GI and exercise for about 17 years but numbers keep creeping up now. I can't do more exercise than I do and I do not snack between meals,