What do you do during isolation?

D

Deleted member 308541

When throwing some some rubbish in the bins yesterday, had a chat with a electrician that was working in another unit fixing something. I also had a chat with a woman walking her dog for a while.

All this was done in our safe "zone of solitude", the tradie had a mask on, and the dog was on a lead.

Nothing has changed here very much, so we do not feel isolated as we have always kept our neighbours at a distance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding it all quite odd.
My neighbours are chattier (safely distanced over garden walls) than ever before.
And random strangers (during dog walks) start picking up a conversation from 12 or 15 feet away, as if we knew each other already.

I mean, I've always found fellow dog walkers to be much nicer than non-dog walkers. More approachable and jovial, in nice short bursts, easy to shut down and move on. Maybe it is the 4 pawed common ground?
But recently, it is as though they just can’t stop talking.

For a cheerfully antisocial non-party animal, it is rather intrusive.

I would like to go back to ignoring neighbours and offering throw away smiles in the vague direction of dog walkers.
All this interaction is unnatural!

Reactions: hankjam

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brief intermission between gardening, cooking, eating, watering, dog walking, and today's scheduled cinematic extravaganza - Deadpool, followed by (if I have the attention span) Deadpool 2.

As you can see, it is an exhausting schedule!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am now on episode 6 of Bosch series 6. after marathing all 16 episodes of Tunnel. My eyes are feeling a little tired.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brief intermission between gardening, cooking, eating, watering, dog walking, and today's scheduled cinematic extravaganza - Deadpool, followed by (if I have the attention span) Deadpool 2.

Easy to see who got the best seats. Looks like they are waiting for the lady with the tray of snacks to pass by.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easy to see who got the best seats. Looks like they are waiting for the lady with the tray of snacks to pass by.

yeah! And No3 (from left to right) had just stolen my seat!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Yes, tough finding a spot to sit too... :D

Reactions: Glor and Brunneria

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I am now on episode 6 of Bosch series 6. after marathing all 16 episodes of Tunnel. My eyes are feeling a little tired.

That's some serious commitment... well done!

Haven't spent too much time in front of the tv today, but have watched a few Murdoch mysteries episodes.

Managed to take the bow wow for his daily "walkies" and had a chat with one of the neighbours down the road. Perfect day of blue skies and mild temps. It's that time of year here when you can feel the season changing.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As ever, late to the party.
Knitting, I want to have a beanie that fits my large head...... early days.
Photography, I would like to know how to use my DSLR.... it's getting better.
Python 3, learn a coding language.... not sure why, used a lot of VBA for work but no longer required, so trying something new to me.
Gardening, too many poppies in the garden and they are ******* to dig out...
Wine appreciation, it's an on going project.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's some serious commitment... well done!

Haven't spent too much time in front of the tv today, but have watched a few Murdoch mysteries episodes.

Managed to take the bow wow for his daily "walkies" and had a chat with one of the neighbours down the road. Perfect day of blue skies and mild temps. It's that time of year here when you can feel the season changing.
Murdoch mysteries is one of my favorite shows it's so steampunk.

I have not so far managed a walk grandson gets upset if I just step out of the front door. And I get a lecture on the dangers of covid 19.

Reactions: Glor

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Curious as to what people do during isolation. What do you do for fun etc. I'm not interested in cleaning, precautions and all that jazz, but what you do for entertainment. Can't spend all day on the net. We all have our own routines, so do share if you will.

Some of the things I have started doing that I wasn't before, but used to before the world of social media took over.

Jigsaw puzzles
Board games... remember those?...scrabble, monopoly, etc.
Some xbox games
Researching stuff to cook that I haven't experimented with before (Obviously with myself it's low carb stuff). Trying a Vanilla cloud cake with coffee butter cream today... hopefully it comes out edible and no fire extinguishers are required.
Will post the recipe if it is a success.

So, feel free to share what you do. Ideas are a good thing.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As ever, late to the party.
Knitting, I want to have a beanie that fits my large head...... early days.
Photography, I would like to know how to use my DSLR.... it's getting better.
Python 3, learn a coding language.... not sure why, used a lot of VBA for work but no longer required, so trying something new to me.
Gardening, too many poppies in the garden and they are ******* to dig out...
Wine appreciation, it's an on going project.
I'm taking a free music theory course via the Open University. Also do my vocal exercises every day and have a virtual singing lesson via Zoom. I listen to music on youtube. I also read a lot and contribute to online discussions, usually on current affairs. I did start baking but this was not the smartest idea because I have binge eating disorder so was polishing off far too many choc brownies and cookies. I live 5 mins walk away from a large municipal park so use that for my daily exercise which is a brisk walk roughly 45 mins in duration. Have to admit I've been slacking off a bit with the exercise though.

Reactions: hankjam
D

Deleted member 308541

I told you the Tunnel was a great series to watch. @JohnEGreen.

We are on the final series of the Money Heist, well worth a watch. https://www.netflix.com/title/80192098

My partner has been watching Doc Martin on Netflix, I have watched a couple and found some of them funny the way he treats his patients. The episode at the start of series three comes to mind... :D

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Don't tell anyone, but I haven't seen them.... they just don't run them on tv here. I know, I haven't seen them, yes, you heard that right.... it's a shocking tragedy. I love the original series, but admit there were some ridiculous episodes in it, but not a lot and not a bad series for an original idea. I also have never really enjoyed the movies as much as the series.
I have only ever seen the original Star Trek television series, non of the films or other versions. Also have never seen any of the Star Wars things. I don't feel deprived!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Murdoch mysteries is one of my favorite shows it's so steampunk.

I have not so far managed a walk grandson gets upset if I just step out of the front door. And I get a lecture on the dangers of covid 19.

I love the Murdoch series, have them all on dvd... can't wait for the next season, not sure how far they have gotten with this covid stuff, but will be worth the wait. Crabtree really makes the series pop, great cast. Love the story lines.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I told you the Tunnel was a great series to watch. @JohnEGreen.

We are on the final series of the Money Heist, well worth a watch. https://www.netflix.com/title/80192098

My partner has been watching Doc Martin on Netflix, I have watched a couple and found some of them funny the way he treats his patients. The episode at the start of series three comes to mind... :D

May have to check out the Tunnel :cool:

Reactions: Glor and JohnEGreen

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had never even heard of the Murdoch Mysteries before this thread.
Watched 2 last night. Curious to see where it goes.
Interestingly it reminded me a little of the Miss Fisher Murder Mystery series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had never even heard of the Murdoch Mysteries before this thread.
Watched 2 last night. Curious to see where it goes.
Interestingly it reminded me a little of the Miss Fisher Murder Mystery series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Have you seen Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries with Peregrine Fisher Phryne's neice.

Edit to add @Brunneria Another series I like is Frankie Drake Mysteries set in 1920s Toronto a female private detective and a bit similar to Miss Fisher

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries with Peregrine Fisher Phryne's neice.

No... not yet. Thanks for that. Will have a look for them. :D

I did discover a recent made for tv one off Miss Fisher and watched it last weekend, but it didn't have the same... flair.
So I hope they don't make more of those.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well lock down not much different for me except Beloved is working from home which is excellent. Worst bit is that we lost our Leroy six weeks ago very suddenly to sepsis. Within a couple of hours from being his normal doggie self he was gone. Vet told us that there was nothing we could have done differently but that doesn’t stop us thinking what if?
The house is much quieter, despite being on a main road very little traffic now. Have been out in the garden a few times trying to get it sorted before we move. Murphy’s law ensured that we were within a week of actually moving to the new home that we had been waiting for since last April to be ready when lock down happened, Council all working from home, no visits to sign off the work as Grade 2 listed and as I’m in the 12 week house arrest group not likely to happen anytime soon. So most of my time taken up with cuddling Leroy’s squashed squirrel and crying. No idea what BG and off the wagon.

So many hugs for you! We lost our last dog suddenly too, some sort of liver disease that suddenly went haywire. it was such a shock as she was only 7 and terriers are meant to live forever! I really feel for you especially with the house move stalled too. We are in a similar situation, not quite as far along as you - we’ve exchanged but no moving date and none expected anytime soon. I’m not surprised you are off the wagon, but please take care and be kind to yourself. Have you tried mindfulness? Lots of things of YouTube. Just a thought, might give your brain a little time out.