Type 1 Shielding from Corona

EddieA12

Hi. I have been asked by my employer if I have a letter/email/text from the NHS advising that I should ‘shield’ due to being a type 1 diabetic.
I don’t believe that I have, but I think they want this for my records and without it I’m concerned I could be told I have to go back into work (I’m currently working from home, but with limited hours due to having to look after two small children).
Has anyone had any communication advising that they need to shield themselves?
Thanks for your help guys.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being Type1 in itself does not get you on the vulnerable list (ie. the shielding list), I believe some have because they have high HbA1cs - I've seen above 79 mentioned but it may depend on your doctor and if your HbA1c is around that level (or higher) you may want to ask your doctor that question.

Edit: sorry that should be 'extremely vulnerable', not just 'vulnerable'

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieA12

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have been asked by my employer if I have a letter/email/text from the NHS advising that I should ‘shield’ due to being a type 1 diabetic.
I don’t believe that I have, but I think they want this for my records and without it I’m concerned I could be told I have to go back into work (I’m currently working from home, but with limited hours due to having to look after two small children).

Hi Eddie, well presumably you are in a job where it can be done from home so that is the 'social distancing' advice dished out to EVERYONE and your Employers should be following it. On top of that, you are in a vulnerable group which as already mentioned, says that you should be following the social distancing advice' stringently'. If your work suddenly said 'come in' I think they would need a very good reason in your circumstances, what do you do? As you can see it's not an easy scenario especially with the kids to look after too, my own work looks at each person individually and then makes a decision, how did you come to be working from home in the first instance, what was their approach then? x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been self isolate since 6th April, I don’t have a note as it wasn’t necessary. At the time diabetics were on the at risk list then. .apparently This is no longer the case and I plan to return to work after the government’s next release regarding lock down. Your company should already know of your type 1 diabetes so you should be ok. If you are ordered into work then you would have to talk to your line manager for clarification..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been self isolate since 6th April, I don’t have a note as it wasn’t necessary. At the time diabetics were on the at risk list then. .apparently This is no longer the case and I plan to return to work after the government’s next release regarding lock down. Your company should already know of your type 1 diabetes so you should be ok. If you are ordered into work then you would have to talk to your line manager for clarification..
The lists of who was on what has never changed. Just been widely misquoted and misunderstood.

EddieA12

Hi Eddie, well presumably you are in a job where it can be done from home so that is the 'social distancing' advice dished out to EVERYONE and your Employers should be following it. On top of that, you are in a vulnerable group which as already mentioned, says that you should be following the social distancing advice' stringently'. If your work suddenly said 'come in' I think they would need a very good reason in your circumstances, what do you do? As you can see it's not an easy scenario especially with the kids to look after too, my own work looks at each person individually and then makes a decision, how did you come to be working from home in the first instance, what was their approach then? x

I work in an Office based environment, so the ability to work from home is easy (apart from the kids!). Originally all the ‘vulnerable’ people were sent to work from home. My concern was when the offices reopen and if we are advised to stay at home ie similar to the highly vulnerable group (12 weeks). Thanks for your help and comments.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Eddie - I don't know if your employer has any employees on furlough? You might find reading through this interesting.

https://www.unison.org.uk/coronavirus-rights-work/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-qa/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, no I heaven't, but I remember some members on here, I think most were type 2 and it was a quite a few ago now ( but not in the extremely vulnerable group) have had phone calls from their GP telling them to isolate. Seems to depend on the surgery and GP.
I must admit i am glad I am not in the extremely vulnerable group.