bellte95

Hi everyone! My name's Tom and I've been Type 1 diabetic since I was 19, I'm now 24. I'm new to this forum so please be gentle.

I've held my Group 1 licence since 2014, which means I only have the Cat B entitlement. Back in Feb 2020, I applied for an initial provisional C1 licence (at the request of my current workplace). So far, I've passed through the D4 medical and my own GP medical, and my paperwork is now with the DVLA (I rang, they confirmed they've got it, even if it is taking an age).

My question; is there anybody here that has had their initial Group 2 licence application refused? And if you do have your Group 2 application refused, are the DVLA likely to revoke your Group 1 licence as well?

This is what keeps me up at night, as I rely on my car for commuting/work so... anyone?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! My name's Tom and I've been Type 1 diabetic since I was 19, I'm now 24. I'm new to this forum so please be gentle.

I've held my Group 1 licence since 2014, which means I only have the Cat B entitlement. Back in Feb 2020, I applied for an initial provisional C1 licence (at the request of my current workplace). So far, I've passed through the D4 medical and my own GP medical, and my paperwork is now with the DVLA (I rang, they confirmed they've got it, even if it is taking an age).

My question; is there anybody here that has had their initial Group 2 licence application refused? And if you do have your Group 2 application refused, are the DVLA likely to revoke your Group 1 licence as well?

This is what keeps me up at night, as I rely on my car for commuting/work so... anyone?

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to admit I've been offered up but never went for group 2 in the past.
But I'll stick my neck out & say you won't loose out on group 1, providing you still meet the criteria for it..

This topic here may help your enquiry.. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-do-i-get-my-license-back.171829/#post-2212265

Reactions: bellte95

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Group 2 and 1 are treated differently and a refusal of group 2 won’t instantly affect your group 1 so long as you comply with group 1 regulations

There is only really 3 things that will prevent you getting the group 2

1, no hypo awareness
2 hypos requiring assistance

3 you MUST and a state MUST have 3 months of blood glucose check on a meter (not libre). A minimum of 2 tests a day even on days when you don’t work.. and tests for driving and every 2 hours whilst driving

I’m aware that the blood test sent so strict for you currently as a car driver but you will have to show you have the ability to maintain the tests as required

If the consultant sees as much as 1 missing test and the consultant is doing his job right then you will be refused until you have 3 month records so make sure it’s right before you even book an appointment

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also you will need to make sure you have a blood glucose meter with enough memory for 3 months test like the contour next one which can store 1000 test or you will have to use multiple metres to make sure you have enough space

bellte95

Also you will need to make sure you have a blood glucose meter with enough memory for 3 months test like the contour next one which can store 1000 test or you will have to use multiple metres to make sure you have enough space
Thanks so much for your advice, for some reason I was struggling to get my head around the regs!

d blundred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much for your advice, for some reason I was struggling to get my head around the regs!
Also the DVLA will want you to go with your readings to see their DVLA consultant as I had to do every 12 mths on renewing my hgv class one

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also the DVLA will want you to go with your readings to see their DVLA consultant as I had to do every 12 mths on renewing my hgv class one

Correct yes.. you will end up with a medically restricted license which lasts only 12 months so you’ll have the pain of renewing each year.. so your glucose meter will be very important to you

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Correct yes.. you will end up with a medically restricted license which lasts only 12 months so you’ll have the pain of renewing each year.. so your glucose meter will be very important to you

Reactions: d blundred