Not open for further replies.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I'm seeing far more people wearing masks when going to the supermarket now and wondered whether people are wearing a mask or not? I've been wearing a makeshift mask but think I may a "proper" one.

x

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So many mixed messages on this it's near impossible to know.
The water vapour seems a particularly knotty issue.
It does seem the rest of the world is adopting but whether there are enough to go round in the UK seems unlikely.

Probably doesn't help/

Rob_UK

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Politics and politicians.
Much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different functions of masks - ingress and egress.

Masks can be worn to protect the wearer from getting infected or masks can be worn to protect others from being infected by the wearer. Protecting the wearer is difficult: It requires medical-grade respirator masks, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. Unfortunately this is probably what a majority of the public believe is why they should wear a mask. But masks can also be worn to prevent transmission to others, and this is their most important use for society. If we lower the likelihood of one person’s infecting another, the impact is exponential, so even a small reduction in those odds results in a huge decrease in deaths. Luckily, blocking transmission outward at the source is much easier. It can be accomplished with something as simple as a cloth mask.

Remember, new infections start from people who are already infected and mask wearing can help prevent them spreading the disease.

Last edited:

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm seeing far more people wearing masks when going to the supermarket now and wondered whether people are wearing a mask or not? I've been wearing a makeshift mask but think I may a "proper" one.

I Tried to make a few for my husband and myself when either of us goes shopping or to collect prescriptions but they weren't really large enough so I have ordered some from wowcher.

x

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried making a few from old scraps of fabric but I can't sew and don't have any more materials so am waiting for some to arrive that I bought off wowcher.

Junie2

Where can I buy face masks, and latex and powder free disposable gloves from, in the Uk please.

Many thanks
Junie

Robdought

The only reason we have not been advised to wear a mask from day one is simple the Government did not have enough stock for the NHS NEVER MIND us. It is quiet simple the government are finding it even harder to keep the public convinces we don’t need masks. If they lift lockdown in stages you can be you bottom dollar a mask wearing outdoors will be MANDATORY.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They wear masks in Hong Kong and China as part of their apparel. They would definitely stop the spread . All people need do is wash their hands after washing the mask. A person should have one mask per day for 7 days and then wash them and start again..

D

Deleted member 308541

I bought 2 x 20 boxes of Honeywell P2 masks in December from Amazon AU when the smoke from the bushfires was everywhere here in Bundaberg.

I wear these when I have been out and about during the lock down here, going to the local shopping center to get money from atm. I have worn them going to my GP's surgery, and also the pathology shop when I got blood tests done last month.

pkevkZU.jpg

Edit: Added mask pix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Liam1955

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

x
Here in San Diego, all essential workers who interface with the public have been wearing masks for a number of weeks now. As of this Friday, May 1st, anyone who leaves their home has to wear a mask or covering of some type. I have been wearing one for about 6 weeks now and am comfortable wearing it - except when I exercise as it impedes normal breathing.
I have both disposable masks and reusable masks. I ordered the disposable ones on line from Walmart and reusable masks from Etsy. Both orders took ages to arrive. Fortunately my kind neighbour made me a reusable one and left it on my front doorstep.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using an FP3 mask for sanding the walls but not for shopping or exercising, I don't personally see the point.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different functions of masks - ingress and egress.

Masks can be worn to protect the wearer from getting infected or masks can be worn to protect others from being infected by the wearer. Protecting the wearer is difficult: It requires medical-grade respirator masks, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. Unfortunately this is probably what a majority of the public believe is why they should wear a mask. But masks can also be worn to prevent transmission to others, and this is their most important use for society. If we lower the likelihood of one person’s infecting another, the impact is exponential, so even a small reduction in those odds results in a huge decrease in deaths. Luckily, blocking transmission outward at the source is much easier. It can be accomplished with something as simple as a cloth mask.

Remember, new infections start from people who are already infected and mask wearing can help prevent them spreading the disease.
trying to explain asymptomatic to one of my adult children was a challenge, but once she understood that she could be asymptomatic, and so could her children she was fine about all of them using masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.