High fasting blood glucose level

Shelly47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello.
I am on metformin and vipidia for T2D.
My yearly check up has not taken place due to covid-19.
My fasting BG was 11.9 this morning. Should I contact my GP?
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that you start testing regularly.
You'll then get to see some trends and maybe modify what you eat.
A single reading is pretty meaningless to be honest.

Jus455

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was the Metformin taken at night or the or the previous morning. It makes a difference when it's taken and if it's extended release

Metformin HCL should be taken at night, with food. Elizabeth Halprin, MD, clinical director of adult diabetes at Boston's Joslin Diabetes Center, explains why timing metformin HCL with the evening meal is so important. "In normal physiology, a person's liver often makes glucose overnight," she says. "So, it's not uncommon for a person to go to bed with a good blood glucose level and wake up with a higher one because their liver has been releasing sugar [all night]."

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does blood sugar rise in fasting during Ramadan inspite of you not eating for over 14 hours
It can. Your liver will dump glucose to help give you some energy if you're not eating, so your fasting blood glucose can still be high. Good news though: your liver is dumping what's been stored, depleting those stores... So that's not bad at all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
I am on metformin and vipidia for T2D.
My yearly check up has not taken place due to covid-19.
My fasting BG was 11.9 this morning. Should I contact my GP?
Thanks
I'm with Bulk here, you need to test more often. And fasting doesn't say all that much, as that's down to what you're liver is doing, not an indication of what your body does with what you've been eating. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, and you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help with picking the right foods... Good luck!
Jo