Skin

Tina conno

My skin is so dehydrated. Its all wrinkly and you can feel it if you touch my skin. So fed up. I drink water all the time. Any suggestions please

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been eating a low fat diet?
My skin is so much better since I abandoned low fat and high carb eating.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it does - but I was told to eat high carb, low fat foods to lower cholesterol - it didn't but my GP insisted.
At diagnosis I went straight back to low carb, included the fat and protein I'd denied myself, and my general health improved, but most noticeably my skin changed, becoming soft and smooth.

Tina conno

Yes, it does - but I was told to eat high carb, low fat foods to lower cholesterol - it didn't but my GP insisted.
At diagnosis I went straight back to low carb, included the fat and protein I'd denied myself, and my general health improved, but most noticeably my skin changed, becoming soft and smooth.
It's hard for me as I don't eat meat for protein. All this gets to me as I don't know what to eat. Was only diagnosed about 3 months ago

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - that is difficult, I really am rather at a loss as to what to suggest. I have even gone onto anti meat lists to ask for help - but the response is that I should eat whole foods including grain, which is just not possible as far as I'm concerned - I can manage 50 gm of carbs a day max, which isn't sustainable for very long if not backed up with other foods.
Do you eat eggs or cheese? They are low carb - avocadoes are good - but expensive.
There are things such as Quorn - though as soon as they process it they add starches, it seems.
I use an olive oil and vinegar dressing on my salad and for roasting, that might be of some help with your diet - and it is recommended for dry skin, just rub on a small amount, spreading it as far as possible a couple of times a day.

Tina conno

Ah - that is difficult, I really am rather at a loss as to what to suggest. I have even gone onto anti meat lists to ask for help - but the response is that I should eat whole foods including grain, which is just not possible as far as I'm concerned - I can manage 50 gm of carbs a day max, which isn't sustainable for very long if not backed up with other foods.
Do you eat eggs or cheese? They are low carb - avocadoes are good - but expensive.
There are things such as Quorn - though as soon as they process it they add starches, it seems.
I use an olive oil and vinegar dressing on my salad and for roasting, that might be of some help with your diet - and it is recommended for dry skin, just rub on a small amount, spreading it as far as possible a couple of times a day.
No don't eat eggs but I do like cheese. And rub what on your skin

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Tree hut shea butter

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Have you looked into food containing more vitamin e? Like almond milk? I eat blueberries and drink almond milk in the morning and it does improve my skin.

Apart from food choices, what’s your skincare routine like? I know some parts of England have hard water areas, you could be living in a hard water area which does dry out your skin.

M

Member496333

For what it may or may not matter to others, I found that giving up oils, sugars and grains improved my skin health markedly. Very quick tanning and robust protection from burning. I also noticed further improvement after taking a collagen powder supplement for a few weeks. I no longer take the supplement, but the combo - of grain-free keto with lots of fatty connective tissue - now seems to keep my skin looking pretty sweet :angelic:

n=1 :cool:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No don't eat eggs but I do like cheese. And rub what on your skin
Oh sorry - I edited out the sense of that - olive oil, just a little drop smoothed out - particularly when the skin is warm from bath or shower.