Insulin on board

steveo4

If my blood is 18 but still have 4 units on board would you still do a correction or leave it. I was told to still correct it even though I still have 4 units that still has to work.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @steveo4
Hopefully you've sorted it by now.
To help we would need more information like:
When did you eat? When did you bolus?
How much would you expect one unit to drop your blood sugars?
Do you have a pump? A CGM?
Do you know why you are so high?
I know I become very insulin resistant when high.
Personally I would have corrected then watched my blood sugars carefully on my Dexcom.
But that is me...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@steveo4

There’s a lot of other info to consider before deciding to correct a reading of 18, @DunePlodder has rightly said that we don’t know your correction ratio, when did you last eat, what’s your bolus ratio, also why have your levels hit 18, are you unwell, do you need to check your ketones, is there any issue with your insulin. Who has told you to still correct whilst you already have 4 units on board ?

It’s not a simple yes/no answer and getting it wrong means hypo.

Personally I would take into consideration many factors before hitting the bolus and knowing my body as well as I do now I am comfortable making that decision for myself without anyone else trying to do it for me, hopefully your levels have come down now but if your not ok making the call yourself then it’s a good idea to really learn and get to grips with your correction ratios so you are ok managing this for yourself.

steveo4

This was a very unusual occurrence for my blood sugar to go so high. After doing some exercise and taking a few correcting doses last night I woke up earlier on 2.8 which was bound to happen. Just checked now and I'm 5.6 so fingers crossed it stays like it.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's so easy to "stack insulin" in those circumstances. Followed by the inevitable crash. Been there done that.
Glad to hear you are OK.