How stupid can you be...?

Phil223

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right now I’m so annoyed with myself.

Almost exactly 2 years ago, I was diagnosed T2 following blood tests after an incidence of gout. My cholesterol, blood pressure and liver enzyme activity were all high and my weight was 228 lbs (16st4lbs, 104 kgs).

My blood sugar level was 55 mmol.

Within 2 months I’d successfully reversed the T2, blood pressure, cholesterol and liver enzyme activity.

I’d also lost a total of 56 lbs (4 stone, 28kgs).

At my January check up this year my blood sugar level was 32 mmol - at normal levels.

Then this darned COVID-19 comes along, literally 2 months after I’ve sunk around £200k into a new business. Then the stressful eating habits returned. I’ve been bingeing on chocolate and all kinds of other ****. Although my weight hasn’t increased much I’ve been self testing my blood levels. My morning readings are around 7.2 and before bed around 5.7 (having not eaten for a few hours.

I’ve been unable to stay awake 30/40 minutes after pigging out on chocolate. I’m pretty sure that I’ve undone all my good work.

Talk about stupid.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup! It happens.

Don't beat yourself up, it's a waste of energy.
It's all part of your education. Back on the wagon
Onwards and downwards. :)

Reactions: Oldvatr and Phil223

Phil223

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hoping that I can achieve the result again. But tbh I’m really struggling with my extreme chocolate addiction. I can forego neals to pig out on the stuff.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Phil223

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m hoping that I can achieve the result again. But tbh I’m really struggling with my extreme chocolate addiction. I can forego neals to pig out on the stuff.

I find the best (only in my case) way to deal with over consumption of foods I’d prefer not to be consuming, or consuming in moderation is to either not buy them, or dispose of them. Can be tough, but needs must!

Reactions: Jus455 and Phil223

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Phil223 - You aren't the first, or the last who have hit a big bump in the metaphoric road and found themselves adrift of all their good efforts.

As others have suggested, it sounds like it's time to catch the wagon again and start bringing things back towards where you prefer them.

I'm wondering if you realise some high cocao content, dark chocolates aren't too high carb, and thereby a bit more blood sugar friendly. I'm a useless source of information on brands or whatever, as I'm the very odd person who doesn't care much for chocolate at all. Now, salsa and mesquite Kettle Chips are something else!

What sort of chocolate are you eating at the moment?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I think the main thing is you know you’ve made a mistake. You also know you can fix it.. so it is just a case of trying to get in the right headspace todo that... it is difficult at the moment with the lockdown I know I’m struggling.. good luck

Phil223

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the best (only in my case) way to deal with over consumption of foods I’d prefer not to be consuming, or consuming in moderation is to either not buy them, or dispose of them. Can be tough, but needs must!

I agree. For my weekly shop I’m virtuous. The issue comes when it comes to fuel stops (usually once a day) and there’s all that chocolate.

I had it beaten.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. For my weekly shop I’m virtuous. The issue comes when it comes to fuel stops (usually once a day) and there’s all that chocolate.

I had it beaten.

Don’t beat yourself up. We’ve all been there. Back on the wagon - it’ll get easier with each day you stick to your plan.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can beat it again. Most of us have had something similar.

Reactions: Phil223

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Talk about stupid.

OK let's talk about stupid how about a Chinese takeaway followed by a banana fritter in syrup
followed by a BG of 10.3 you see your not alone we both have to get back on track the best we can and hope any damage done will fade away soon.

Reactions: hankjam and Phil223

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking that I was doing well as all food is delivered and I cannot go out to be tempted... but then 1 V E day (socially distanced) party and I ate 4 cakes and drank 3 glasses of wine.
No will power after all
Kicking my self
It is so easily done. But better one day than every day..

Is it myth that tastes change and cravings go?

Phil223

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking that I was doing well as all food is delivered and I cannot go out to be tempted... but then 1 V E day (socially distanced) party and I ate 4 cakes and drank 3 glasses of wine.
No will power after all
Kicking my self
It is so easily done. But better one day than every day..

Is it myth that tastes change and cravings go?

I did the sane yesterday too. I just cannot resist the temptation.

it is true that when I really get into keto node the cravings disappear.

Jamie H

OK let's talk about stupid how about a Chinese takeaway followed by a banana fritter in syrup
followed by a BG of 10.3 you see your not alone we both have to get back on track the best we can and hope any damage done will fade away soon.
After eating that I'd be over the moon with a 10.3 !!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
After eating that I'd be over the moon with a 10.3 !!
Oh did I not mention the two or three tots of whisky and that reading was at two hours so I am unsure of the peak value for me an excursion into double figures is one I normally try to avoid if possible.

Not always successfully I might add.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot (wine induced no doubt) to test often yesterday. At 9pm was 8.2 but then had gone up to 9.3 just after midnight but I had eaten and drunk nothing in between the 2 readings. How does this happen?
My waking today was 6.7 which is a bit higher than usual for me but not unheard of. And have been high-ish all day today. How long does it take to repay for bad eating yesterday?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I find, if it's not in the house, it's not there to be eaten.
Essential, as I am at home 24/7 and grazing is so easy.

You've done it once, you know where you are going.
Good luck