Metformin period

azizdhl

Hi guys,

My had multiple fast BG test with 180, and his Hba1c was 6.5, so the doctor gave him 1 pill metformin 750mg daily.

My question, now if he stick with strict diet for how many months he should take metformin?

Because I heard that if you take it once you have to take for the rest of my life.. So even if he control and reduce his Hba1c he should have metformin?

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin caused me misery so I threw them in the bin along with the statin.
Yes, it was probably unwise, even wicked and ungrateful.
I felt so much better though.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

My had multiple fast BG test with 180, and his Hba1c was 6.5, so the doctor gave him 1 pill metformin 750mg daily.

My question, now if he stick with strict diet for how many months he should take metformin?

Because I heard that if you take it once you have to take for the rest of my life.. So even if he control and reduce his Hba1c he should have metformin?

Thanks
It depends on his hb1ac really and personal preference after that. Many in here have taken metformin for a period of time, varying from days to years, and then stopped without detriment. If you don’t need it because you have achieved control through diet, exercise, weight loss and maintenance then why take it??

It’s an outdated view that says its automatically forever. That is when they thought nothing could be done to turn type 2 around and achieve remission. They were wrong.

Reactions: Perminder1

Perminder1

It depends on his hb1ac really and personal preference after that. Many in here have taken metformin for a period of time, varying from days to years, and then stopped without detriment. If you don’t need it because you have achieved control through diet, exercise, weight loss and maintenance then why take it??

It’s an outdated view that says its automatically forever. That is when they thought nothing could be done to turn type 2 around and achieve remission. They were wrong.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
How did it cause you misery..

Can't speak for Resurgam but for me it was having to stay within sprinting distance of a toilet. Dr said it just takes time to get accustomed to it then he changed my prescription to the slow release version because apparently it's easier on your stomach. After 4 months of hell I found this forum and realised that if I stopped eating the things that caused my blood sugar to rise I wouldn't need that horrible drug.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How did it cause you misery..
Huge internal upsets, so bad that I would get up and clean myself off, shower with fragrant foams, then go out without eating or drinking to do any errands. I would eat lunch and take the Metformin and a few minutes later my stomach would start to churn and my gut would go into spasm, and it would be like that for over 12 hours. I slept wrapped in two towels every night.