hba1c prep

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apologies for a longish post:
I've been concerned about possible pancreas/gallbladder liver issues for a while because of rib pain; I went to see the doctor a couple of months ago and he diagnosed me with rib inflammation, said my liver and gall bladder seemed ok, but suggested I come back to get some blood work done.I was hoping to lose weight and get my sugars back to their usual levels after an extended period of weight gain and poor control; I haven't really done very well regarding weight loss (stuck at home, not much exercise etc), and although my sugars are a lot better, and my blood pressure is FAR better, I've only really been on track for the last month or so.
Because of this, I am a bit reluctant to get an HbA1C or intravenous blood test done, because I don't want to be labelled badly diabetic, given a ton of meds etc, when I am getting back on track. I have good sugars for May, decent for April, poor for Feb, so I feel like another month or so might give me a more helpful result. Is this a valid line of thought, or a bit silly?
It's complicated by the fact that I'm more concerned about my rib pains: if bloodwork can help me identify any liver and pancreas/ gallbladder issues that might be at play, then I think that might be more important, and just take the HbA1c as a reference before booking another test in 3 months or so.
I'm sorry if this seems rambling or obvious- I'm just quite discombobulated about the whole deal, and anxiety has rendered me fairly hopeless in the logic and common sense departments!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's complicated by the fact that I'm more concerned about my rib pains: if bloodwork can help me identify any liver and pancreas/ gallbladder issues that might be at play, then I think that might be more important,
That is the important bit, pain is never good and if you're in pain that won't be helping your sugar levels either, best to see if you can work out whats causing it rather than delaying in my opinion

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hb1ac coverS approximately 12 weeks with the most recent weeks being weighted more heavily. So a test today (mid May) will cover from mid feb but be mostly influenced by April and May.

Reactions: Geordie_P

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is the important bit, pain is never good and if you're in pain that won't be helping your sugar levels either, best to see if you can work out whats causing it rather than delaying in my opinion
Yes, I do agree that makes sense.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hb1ac coverS approximately 12 weeks with the most recent weeks being weighted more heavily. So a test today (mid May) will cover from mid feb but be mostly influenced by April and May.
Thanks HSSS, that is worth keeping in mind. I haven't been as good as I should have been in April, May, but my readings shouldn't be too egregious I suppose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks HSSS, that is worth keeping in mind. I haven't been as good as I should have been in April, May, but my readings shouldn't be too egregious I suppose.
Knowing or not knowing doesn’t actually change what they are! And no one can force you onto meds you don’t want. If they are higher than you hoped you can always explain you have already made changes and need to see the full effect in a couple of months time before considering a change in treatment.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, of 3 yrs of misdiagnosed gallbladder stones, bloods showed nothing, only a scan confirmed my suspicions so if that’s a possibility ask for one (when it’s possible).

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Knowing what they are or not knowing doesn’t actually change what they are! And no one can force you onto meds you don’t want. If they are higher than you hoped you can always explain you have already made changes and need to see the full effect in a couple of months time before considering a change in treatment.
Yes, now that is very neatly put. To be fair, my doctor is usually quite reasonable in this regard.

Reactions: HSSS

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You want to get to the bottom of your discomfort. If a blood test helps I would go for it.

If your hba1c is not to your liking and you are offered medication, you could ask for a 3 month grace period to try diet first.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is SE UK, end of April my GP ordered HbA1c test and others. However the lab refused to process the Hb1 test or blood glucose and so I didnt get any results, only for the other non-diabetic tests (because apparently diabetes checks are not allowed during covid times).

So even if you go for a hbA1c test it might not be processed....

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here is SE UK, end of April my GP ordered HbA1c test and others. However the lab refused to process the Hb1 test or blood glucose and so I didnt get any results, only for the other non-diabetic tests (because apparently diabetes checks are not allowed during covid times).

So even if you go for a hbA1c test it might not be processed....
I'm sorry to hear that, although I suppose times are tough for the medical people. I'm not actually in the UK, but I'll pass the news on to my diabetic dad- he's still in the UK- he doesn't use the internet much and wouldn't know.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There was some good advice given here, so thank you. I went for some blood work today, and although I'm not necessarily that confident that I'll like all the results, the doctor was quite reassuring and I went through my concerns about pancreatitis etc with him. Obviously I need to keep monitoring the situation, especially with some of the harder to diagnose issues, but I do at least feel a lot better about having actually done something about it, as opposed to worrying myself stupid. Good support on this forum!

Reactions: HSSS