• No

Votes: 88 30.7%
  • Considering it

Votes: 51 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaine2k

Lol I’ve seen the masks and they’re the same ones worn by nurses and dentists so I just assumed they’re the same so my bad I’m no expert but I do have a question what the difference between these mask that my nurse uses and other mask that use filters like pm2.5 or n95 filters apart from I think they provide more layers so maybe greater protection as I need to buy something for bus travel even though apparently even from a place like amazon it’ll take 20 days to arrive !!!!

Reactions: jjraak

Dark Horse

Herd immunity is a concept that depends on a 95% uniform vaccination level that means throughout a population if any people even in small enclaves do not take up on the vaccination the concept of herd immunity disappears as has happened with measles.
The percentage of the population required to be immune in order to produce herd immunity depends on the R0 value for the disease. Measles has a very high R0 value (12-18) so requires something like 95% of the population to be immune in order to provide herd immunity. The R0 for Covid-19 is much lower so it's been calculated that we would need around 60% of the population to be immune to achieve herd immunity.

The maths behind it is explained here:- https://plus.maths.org/content/maths-minute-r0-and-herd-immunity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The percentage of the population required to be immune in order to produce herd immunity depends on the R0 value for the disease. Measles has a very high R0 value (12-18) so requires something like 95% of the population to be immune in order to provide herd immunity. The R0 for Covid-19 is much lower so it's been calculated that we would need around 60% of the population to be immune to achieve herd immunity.

The maths behind it is explained here:- https://plus.maths.org/content/maths-minute-r0-and-herd-immunity
Great but how many would die in the process of achieving that naturally so it depends on vaccination levels and has to be uniform throughout the total population any pockets of non immunized people within the population destroys the concept of herd immunity.

As of this moment in time there is no vaccine even when there is one it has to be administered on a massive scale this will not happen over night.

You have to take into consideration also human nature and the resistance to vaccination programs that arise out of that.

Here is a link I have posted before on this subject an article in the Scientific American journal and yes in the main it talks of Measles that has a high R0 but the principle is the same.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rethinking-herd-immunity/

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

This sort of assumes, that if there is no vaccine, those that get the virus will be protected from getting it again.
So then does that mean 60% of the population at a minimum will have to get it in order to protect the remaining 40%...

That could get messy.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This sort of assumes, that if there is no vaccine, those that get the virus will be protected from getting it again.
So then does that mean 60% of the population at a minimum will have to get it in order to protect the remaining 40%...

And that assumption so far is just that an assumption as of now we have no definitive figure on if having it once bestows immunity in all cases and if so at what level and just how long our immune systems will remain effective against it the immune system has a tendency to forget over time too many ifs or buts or maybe's for comfort.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are selling masks at chemists and supermarkets from tomorrow to the general public in France and the department's in France are making available masks that people like us have made and sent in, so no reason not to wear a mask in France if you want to or feel it is right to do so, Live long and prosper

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A light hearted view of the subject. Original source somewhere on Twitter (I’ve no idea where)

67B404E0-8367-47C9-8210-4A97635DD7B4.jpeg

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In France they have started testing for people with anti-bodies, my wife is having the test it is just a random test of the public but its a start, they are also starting research on certain anti inflammatory drugs, my anti inflammatory drug they say is no good for people who have got covid 19 as you need to have taken it for while but as I have taken it for 2 years it could help me who knows

misterjohn

Normally when I go out to the local Tesco (10 minutes walk away; a couple of times a week), I wear two very long scarves wrapped around my face and mouth. The supermarket practises strict social distancing. Perhaps 30% of the customers are wearing some form of facial covering. Nobody really ever comes close to anyone else. The supermarket is huge and airy... so there aren’t quite the problems that come from being in a relatively confined space (which would further potentiate the infectivity of the virus).

I appreciate the importance of wearing a mask.... to inhibit the transmission of the virus (from me); and to foster confidence generally as the economy moves slowly towards opening up.

The government is encouraging facial coverings, especially on public transport and in more crowded environments.

With this in mind, I bought a couple of days ago masks offered on sale by Diabetes.co.uk. One has just arrived... and I have to tell you I am horribly, horribly disappointed.

Although it is a recognised branded product with a rating of n99, it is just totally unsuitable for me. It was monumentally overpriced (up to almost double the price of other suppliers)... and it is for single use only. As a pensioner, there is no way I could ever afford to spend £22 each time I go shopping! I am truly disappointed. Yes, ‘caveat emptor’ (‘let the buyer beware’). I should have taken more care when responding to the offer sent by Diabetes.co.uk. (I have another mask coming from DCUK.... a lower spec n95... on offer at half price... but, again, it will be unusable, for the reasons above).

Bearing in mind that the main reasons to wear a mask are to prevent ME from spreading the virus (which could happen in a public place IF I am not showing symptoms [but have the disease] and therefore not self-isolating) AND to foster a sense of security in my fellow man, I have ordered a more expensive CYCLING mask... which is reusable, will keep out most stuff, and will prevent droplets issuing from me.... and which also looks the part! It will certainly, I think, encourage confidence in my fellow shoppers. And, since I invested in an electric bike a year ago... and since I live in a city.... it will double up in protecting me against the pollution hazards of urban travel, albeit that the virus has, for the moment, neutralised much of that.

I am very disappointed in the approach that DCUK has taken in marketing these masks. Very disappointed.

The modern way to market is for many of our socially responsible companies and corporations to guide the purchaser to avoid a mistaken purchase. Sometimes this means spelling out clearly the nature of the product.... and even to add a gentle warning if the product is unlikely to meet expectations (in the case where the product has a narrow range of applications).

I note that DCUK are not accepting returns (even if the product is still sealed, though obviously not if it has been opened). I note too that other suppliers are accepting returns, in line with distance selling regulations.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally when I go out to the local Tesco (10 minutes walk away; a couple of times a week), I wear two very long scarves wrapped around my face and mouth. The supermarket practises strict social distancing. Perhaps 30% of the customers are wearing some form of facial covering. Nobody really ever comes close to anyone else. The supermarket is huge and airy... so there aren’t quite the problems that come from being in a relatively confined space (which would further potentiate the infectivity of the virus).

I appreciate the importance of wearing a mask.... to inhibit the transmission of the virus (from me); and to foster confidence generally as the economy moves slowly towards opening up.

The government is encouraging facial coverings, especially on public transport and in more crowded environments.

With this in mind, I bought a couple of days ago masks offered on sale by Diabetes.co.uk. One has just arrived... and I have to tell you I am horribly, horribly disappointed.

Although it is a recognised branded product with a rating of n99, it is just totally unsuitable for me. It was monumentally overpriced (up to almost double the price of other suppliers)... and it is for single use only. As a pensioner, there is no way I could ever afford to spend £22 each time I go shopping! I am truly disappointed. Yes, ‘caveat emptor’ (‘let the buyer beware’). I should have taken more care when responding to the offer sent by Diabetes.co.uk. (I have another mask coming from DCUK.... a lower spec n95... on offer at half price... but, again, it will be unusable, for the reasons above).

Bearing in mind that the main reasons to wear a mask are to prevent ME from spreading the virus (which could happen in a public place IF I am not showing symptoms [but have the disease] and therefore not self-isolating) AND to foster a sense of security in my fellow man, I have ordered a more expensive CYCLING mask... which is reusable, will keep out most stuff, and will prevent droplets issuing from me.... and which also looks the part! It will certainly, I think, encourage confidence in my fellow shoppers. And, since I invested in an electric bike a year ago... and since I live in a city.... it will double up in protecting me against the pollution hazards of urban travel, albeit that the virus has, for the moment, neutralised much of that.

I am very disappointed in the approach that DCUK has taken in marketing these masks. Very disappointed.

The modern way to market is for many of our socially responsible companies and corporations to guide the purchaser to avoid a mistaken purchase. Sometimes this means spelling out clearly the nature of the product.... and even to add a gentle warning if the product is unlikely to meet expectations (in the case where the product has a narrow range of applications).

I note that DCUK are not accepting returns (even if the product is still sealed, though obviously not if it has been opened). I note too that other suppliers are accepting returns, in line with distance selling regulations.

Someone mentioned their hand gel's well overpriced too.

glittergirl_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only reason we have not been advised to wear a mask from day one is simple the Government did not have enough stock for the NHS NEVER MIND us. It is quiet simple the government are finding it even harder to keep the public convinces we don’t need masks. If they lift lockdown in stages you can be you bottom dollar a mask wearing outdoors will be MANDATORY.
I’ve been saying this very thing since I first heard of corona being a respiratory disease....seemed obvious to me that we should be wearing a mask so that’s what I’ve been doing. Got loads of funny looks but I’d rather be safe than fashionable.
I’ve been making them for family and friends for weeks.
If we ALL wore them, I’m convinced we can get the R number down to zero !

Reactions: Tannith

glittergirl_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What material are you making your masks from? The masks I bought aren't a close fit so I tend to have to keep touching my face to adjust them - which is not good. Thought I might try making some myself but not sure of the materials to use. The ones I bought are black material with a central seam shaped to cover you nose, they seem to be a knitted fabric with foam between the cloth layers.
Look on YouTube....loads of videos on making them.

glittergirl_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is all very true and I am glad you live in a country where the government has executed a plan to supply the correct levels of PPE. This is not the case in the UK. The range of materials that have been suggested as suitable for making a DIY mask is beyond reason and with all this information on how to make one yourself there is next to no QC or IC on it.... and the internet is just full of so much misinformation.
The UK government has dragged this out simply because of supply issues. Is something better than nothing? In this I just don't know.
They have only recently figured out Care homes are an area for concern.... they've not done well in my opinion.
Government website actually has info and instructions on how to make a mask !

Reactions: hankjam

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

This level of mask needs to be properly fit tested to your face, to make sure you have a good seal and that the only air entry is through the filter. We wear them at work with covid patients when transferring them. The fitting process took about half an hour and involved wearing a hood and having a bitter or sweet tasting spray squirted in while you do a series of exercises - puffing, reading a sheet of A4, turning your head in circles, bowing and so forth. If you fail that (if you can tell whether it’s sweet or bitter), they try you with a different brand. And at work we change them regularly, every couple of hours or between patients.

It’s pretty irresponsible of a health related website to sell them without explaining this.

Last edited:
Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Tezzer

BANNED

I am tempted to go for the face shield visor. I do see people using these in the work place and in some shops (B and Q). They certainly will keep fluids from moving in either direction.

Bogart 007

I follow a lot of countries press on twitter , and many coming out of lock down wear masks, and I believe if I have to stay in for 9 weeks and counting ,(Scotland ) will want to stay safe and be very cautious , Looking a the local Death rate , which is not being being reported , its a lot higher .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Government website actually has info and instructions on how to make a mask !

It might not be related....
My wife works for the DWP and I am home shielding.
She brought home a list of facts from her work.... with time we found each one of them were "not true"...

Have to hope the Government might get something right on this virus....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife works for the DWP and I am home shielding.

My niece and her husband work for the DWP. They have been sent home and are being provided with a kit so they can work from home because their son is shielding.

Reactions: hankjam

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My niece and her husband work for the DWP. They have been sent home and are being provided with a kit so they can work from home because their son is shielding.
That's good to hear @Bluetit1802 unfortunately there are not enough laptops to go round her office... so she goes in every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.