Why am I not loosing weight?

Sarahswim

Hi,
Can anybody shed any light as why I am not loosing weight.

I am taking 40mg Gliclazide twice a day and since being diagnosed have transformed my diet.

I only eat vegetables, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, berries and yoghurt. Believe me before I lived on carbs and anything sweet.

Any suggestions?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am getting them down to around 7/8 from 16 a couple of weeks ago, yesterday I dropped to 4.2 lowest its ever been.

That’s great progress and the most important thing you can do to improve your diabetes and health. Other benefits will follow if you stick at it.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am getting them down to around 7/8 from 16 a couple of weeks ago, yesterday I dropped to 4.2 lowest its ever been.

OK that's great I'm just slightly worried that you are in the in between stage of not having cut carbs enough to get all the benefits but its still fairly early days.. give it another couple of months and the weight loss should start.
I'm guessing its plain yoghurt and above ground vegetables?

Sarahswim

OK that's great I'm just slightly worried that you are in the in between stage of not having cut carbs enough to get all the benefits but its still fairly early days.. give it another couple of months and the weight loss should start.
I'm guessing its plain yoghurt and above ground vegetables?
I am having Alpro Yoghurt 0 carbs and 0 sugars and yes above ground veg too like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
I think I thought I would have lost a couple of pounds each week after such a drastic change in my diet as before I lived on carbs, white bread, pasta and rice, sweets, cakes, crisps, biscuits etc.

Michalia

What is your activity like? I think you may need to move more. Even on a low carb diet, if you are not using enough energy, it is still difficult to lose weight. Try walking 30 minutes after eating for 30 mins if you can. Alteratively you could try intermitant fasting, 2 days a week. That will definately help you to lose weight. Your insulin levels, may still be high, until the insulin levels come down it is difficult to lose the weight. You are doing great. Well done. Things will only get better with time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has it been? If you’ve had high levels for some time it might be a while before it shows in weight. As you’ve noticed it IS showing in bgl which is the first and most important step health wise. Hang on in there the lbs will follow if the bloods are going the right way.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

That sounds really frustrating. I can empathise a bit- when diagnosed I had a lot of weight to lose(still do but a lot less) I went low carb (very low carb) and did start losing weight- approx 0.5 kilos every week or two- so not what I was hoping for. My husband who is underweight if anything- reduced his carbs- not at all low carb though and lost 3 kilo in the first week. I was very jealous.

I've kept low carb but added intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast very often - maybe on weekends- never during the week. Some days I don't eat lunch but do on other days . I'm less hungry after going low carb so that helps. I now lose about 0.5 kilos every week- over 25 kilos now.

Good luck.

Hotpepper20000

I am taking 40mg Gliclazide twice a day and since being diagnosed have transformed my diet.
Glicazide increases insulin production and if you are already insulin resistant this will just make it worse.
The more insulin you have circulating the more difficult it is to lose weight.

Tim1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's really hard to offer advice with the amount of info you have given. What is your starting weight, how active are you, of the healthy things you are eating how much are you eating, etc.

If you are still eating a very large number of 'healthy' calories it will have an impact.

My starting point was 20.5 stone, I reduced my diet to healthy foods, 1300 Calories a day with a maximum 100g of carbs a day with intermittent fasting 7pm → 12.30pm. I consistently lost a stone a month for 7 months and brought my bloods under really good control, but I have only lost a stone over the entire 8 week lock down period so far. (I am not complaining ) but still eating the same and walking at least 8km a day as before. Just not as active, as I am a teacher working from home at the moment.

As is always the case with both weight loss and diabetes, it is a very individual journey we are all on, so the more information we have the more help we can offer and from my experience the folks on here are extremely helpful.

Reactions: Serena51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's really hard to offer advice with the amount of info you have given. What is your starting weight, how active are you, of the healthy things you are eating how much are you eating, etc.

If you are still eating a very large number of 'healthy' calories it will have an impact.

My starting point was 20.5 stone, I reduced my diet to healthy foods, 1300 Calories a day with a maximum 100g of carbs a day with intermittent fasting 7pm → 12.30pm. I consistently lost a stone a month for 7 months and brought my bloods under really good control, but I have only lost a stone over the entire 8 week lock down period so far. (I am not complaining ) but still eating the same and walking at least 8km a day as before. Just not as active, as I am a teacher working from home at the moment.

As is always the case with both weight loss and diabetes, it is a very individual journey we are all on, so the more information we have the more help we can offer and from my experience the folks on here are extremely helpful.
I suspect it was the carbs and fasting that reduced your weight. The lack of calories might have slowed your metabolic rate such that you now need fewer calories just to maintain. Hence one of the many reasons few of us in here bother with calorie counting. Depending on your blood levels it might be that cutting carbs rather than calories would assist further weight loss and continue to improve bgl. 100g is still far too many for many (not all) type 2’s.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Can anybody shed any light as why I am not loosing weight.

I only eat vegetables, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, berries and yoghurt. Believe me before I lived on carbs and anything sweet.

Any suggestions?
When I was started on gliclazide I was told it'd make me gain weight. It made me laugh because I was huge as it was and I considered myself beyond hope of ever looking like what I used to anyway. Turns out it wasn't as hopeless as I thougth, but I don't think i would've gotten anywhere if I'd stayed on the gliclazide. Keep an eye on your blood sugars, if you can keep them in check with diet you might be able to ditch the glic. All in all though... Get your blood sugars under control and the rest should follow. That's the most important bit. Might not happen overnight, but it will eventually.