Do you just keep injecting fast-acting until levels are right?

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Injected 2 units before dinner. An hour later my levels were 9 so I injected an extra unit to bring it down (not sure if you're supposed to do this) but now another hour later and my levels are 10.5

Do I inject more? Is that a thing?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Blood sugars rise after eating. Unlike your body's natural insulin, injected short-acting works over a 4-hour window so you haven't waited long enough to see if the 2 injected units matched the carbohydrates in your meal. I don't stack insulin (taking insulin when you've already injected within the four-hour window) as it can cause your blood sugars to crash. I hope you have a diabetes nurse you can phone for advice. Good luck.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i would wait for the 4 hours to pass then correct if numbers are still high as ert has said you dont want sugars to crash xx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Injected 2 units before dinner. An hour later my levels were 9 so I injected an extra unit to bring it down (not sure if you're supposed to do this) but now another hour later and my levels are 10.5

Did you count the carbs in your dinner?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not really. I'm new to the fast-acting stuff. I'm kinda just "winging it" atm
Have a google for a carb counting course called Bertie Online. Learning how to match your insulin to your carbs will really help you tame the beast.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really. I'm new to the fast-acting stuff. I'm kinda just "winging it" atm
im not a doctor or qualified to give dosing advice but i was told to start on a 1unit of inslin to 10 grams of carbs this helped me till i did the dafne course hope this helps x

Reactions: Medina27

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im not a doctor or qualified to give dosing advice but i was told to start on a 1unit of inslin to 10 grams of carbs this helped me till i did the dafne course hope this helps x
While that's generally accepted as a reasonable starting point, do bear in mind that some people can be 1 unit for 30+ grams, others for 3 grams so go carefully. Certainly not a good idea to experiment with large quantities of carbs!

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other

You may be quite pleased with this book:
Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner
It has a good following on this forum, and obtainable in different ways. Lots of explanations, tips and tricks. I love it.
I'm picking up you may not have completed the DAPHNE course yet? This really helps with loads of questions etc.
But there is an online version you can complete called BERTIE on-line Course.
To get the most out of these things, do them in conjunction with your Diabetic Nurse. But you could be getting prepared! Good luck…

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While that's generally accepted as a reasonable starting point, do bear in mind that some people can be 1 unit for 30+ grams, others for 3 grams so go carefully. Certainly not a good idea to experiment with large quantities of carbs!
this is very true as my ratios vary at meal times need more of a morning less at lunch and standard 1 - 10 at teatime but it was a good starting point for me as i kept a watch at to how bloods reacted at each meal and went from there :)