Working outside and blood sugar low

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been a while since I was last on here, but I've found myself back on here. This past week I collapsed at work on Wednesday from the heat being inside and low blood sugar and yesterday from being outside for far too long with just a fleece to keep warm. Almost went hypothermic as I was freezing.

I've now been back working at KFC since May 7th and it's been 9 or 10 hour shifts and mostly my duties are to be out on the car park and control the traffic from 12 till 9 with a 30 minute break. My boss and the shift runner feel like I'm best suited for traffic control and it's been okay and I felt okay with it as well. On Wednesday when it was really hot, I asked the boss to put me inside as I didn't feel okay with being outside in the heat all day and he was fine with that. 2 hours into the shift and I was starting to overheat and my blood sugar dropped to 2.9. I felt okay after I had 3 cans of Pepsi, some food and lots of water, then continued on working.

Yesterday was different as I went to the other end and found myself on the floor shivering like crazy as I only had a fleece to keep warm and it had no zipper, so I couldn't keep myself warm. Was outside for 4 hours and I couldn't come in to get warm, otherwise the customers would just push in and I even told a colleague that I was freezing and asked them to tell the shift runner if they could swap me for someone else. They did after another half hour, but by then I couldn't even move let alone walk inside to get warm.

My boss then sent me home after I was warmed up and told me this morning not to come in, until I get a fit note from my doctor. I'm having to make sure that my blood sugars are above 10 before I start work and if I start to feel dizzy or confused, to just have a can of Pepsi or Tango to keep me going till I have my break.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first thought is that I would be horrified if my employer told to be at least 10 before working.

Make sure you have weather appropriate clothes. Make sure you have some carby snacks with you. If you are dropping into the 2s, a sugary drink might bring you up but you could crash afterwards.

If I hypo I eat a few jellybabies but follow it up with a rich tea biscuit or two.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My first thought is that I would be horrified if my employer told to be at least 10 before working.

Make sure you have weather appropriate clothes. Make sure you have some carby snacks with you. If you are dropping into the 2s, a sugary drink might bring you up but you could crash afterwards.

If I hypo I eat a few jellybabies but follow it up with a rich tea biscuit or two.

Well my boss hasn't told me to be above 10. I do that to make sure I don't hypo at work. I'm on a fixed dose of insulin and my requirements are pretty high.

Novorapid 48 units 3 times a day.
Tresiba 90 units once a day
Metformin SR 2x 500mg twice a day

I don't eat the chicken at work as it plays havok on my gut and bring in my own lunch. But because the store that I work in is halal, I am limited on what I can bring in. Normally I bring in either a bagel or sandwich with some pringles, avocado dip and a snack bar.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you doing anything with yourf diet, ie reducing carbs, to try and control your diabetes?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you doing anything with yourf diet, ie reducing carbs, to try and control your diabetes?

I've tried low carb in the past. Didn't work as I have little self control. I try to limit myself, like today. I had a bowl of weetabix for breakfast, 2 sultana scones with clotted cream for lunch and a Sunday Dinner with chicken, carrot and swede mash, stuffing roast potatoes and homemade Yorkshire puds with gravy. My mum put some regular mash on the side, but I left it alone as I don't like it.