Shielding letter COVID-19

Jamie H

Not yet, but scientists are recommending to the government that diabetics should be in the extremely vulnerable group as lockdown ends and asked to get shielded
Im not sure that they are recommending that? I believe it's up for review and I don't think it'll be a one size fits all approach either..

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Im not sure that they are recommending that? I believe it's up for review and I don't think it'll be a one size fits all approach either..
It had better not be. I’m 45, in good health other than that I can’t make insulin and work for the ambulance service. This thing is going to be with us for years. I have no intention of going into purdah for months on end.

Reactions: Circuspony

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No! I didn’t get a shielding letter either and I am well over 70 as well! Just been self isolating since 12th March and spending HOURS looking for delivery slots at supermarkets.
I entered my info into the gov site in March, and according to their initial lists I was not extremely vulnerable but they sent my name to the supermarkets to get priority access to slots anyway as I was close to their line.
Given the new information I'd probably be 'extremely vulnerable' now but I don't need the letter.

(I did get a high enough frailty score on the decision tree they were going to use to decide if I'd get an ICU bed if they were rationing that I'd be left to die elsewhere, so there is an obvious mismatch between the two.)

Jamie H

It had better not be. I’m 45, in good health other than that I can’t make insulin and work for the ambulance service. This thing is going to be with us for years. I have no intention of going into purdah for months on end.
I think some had misinterpreted the headlines (not yourself) . Nowhere does it say there is going to be a recommendation for blanket shielding... Most people like partha kar etc don't seem to expect so either

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think some had misinterpreted the headlines (not yourself) . Nowhere does it say there is going to be a recommendation for blanket shielding... Most people like partha kar etc don't seem to expect so either
Click bait headlines do like a scare story. 3.5 times not a lot is still not a lot. I worked out my own risk to be less than half of 1% based on the figure they published.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think this is the key thing. I wouldnt expect blanket shielding either. Also, no where does it say you have to follow the advice and have to shield if you do get a letter. Everyone is different and has different lives and different situations at home. Some find controlling their diabetes a nightmare at the best of times, so it makes sense that GPs partly assess on an individual basis. Lots might feel they don't need the letter, while others might feel they can't afford to take the chance of contracting it at the moment, and have (for various reasons) been shielding regardless. The headlines are no reason to be scared, I agree the overall risk is still low, but the new research might help those with already difficult personal situations, which would then be made that much harder if they contracted it.

Reactions: mooshk and Jamie H

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I agree!

Reactions: kev-w

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone asked their GP directly about a shielding letter in light of the recent statistics? I’ve emailed my surgery asking about it as I am type1 with asthma and a high bmi, I also work in a hospital so am getting a little twitchy.

Has anyone been given a shielding letter following their query?

Last edited:

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone asked their GP directly about a shielding letter in light of the recent statistics? I’ve emailed my surgery asking about it as I am type1 with asthma and a high bmi, I also work in a hospital so am getting a little twitchy.

I asked my GP on 20th April if I can go out for exercise. I hadn’t received a letter from the Gov/NHS in March as I assume that at that time I was considered to be moderately clinically vulnerable and not extremely vulnerable. Following my call my GP or rather his Receptionist told me I should be shielding and within a few minutes the letter was emailed to me. Since then I have been staying at home and only going for a short walk a couple of times. Walking is very important to me and I miss it very much. However my control is very good and always has been since diagnosis with Type 1 seven years ago. I have had two coronary stents fitted and also have a pacemaker so guess this is why I was sent the letter. Also I am 73 yrs old so can’t really argue although I feel fit and healthy. Just hope a vaccine is found soon, wishful thinking I know.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My consultant told me it would be wise to shield. Following this I emailed my GP to ask whether I should expect a letter. They said I should and they'd be sending it out ASAP. I'm under 40, no other conditions, very good control (according to my consultant) so I realise all the stats are in my favour.

I've been shielding since March without the letter anyway, work sent me home following one of the early press briefings, so I've been working from home the whole time. I've found it quite easy, but realise I'm in a lucky situation with an understanding boss and a garden to enjoy!

My consultant told me it would be wise to shield. Following this I emailed my GP to ask whether I should expect a letter. They said I should and they'd be sending it out ASAP. I'm under 40, no other conditions, very good control (according to my consultant) so I realise all the stats are in my favour.
I've been shielding since March without the letter anyway, work sent me home following one of the early press briefings, so I've been working from home the whole time. I've found it quite easy, but realise I'm in a lucky situation with an understanding boss and a garden to enjoy!
How long will the shielding letter cover you for ? I’ve been off self isolating since March as my work sent me home as I am in the vulnerable category. But due to go back next week. And I’m dreading it. But got told by my diabetic nurse to ask my doctor for a shielding letter. I emailed them yesterday waiting for a reply

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1

i work for the nhs in a hospital admin based so not so lucky and definitely cannot work from home easily without a shielding letter just waiting to see if I can get one now I’ve asked specifically

Starxgirl

I requested a letter as work, for some reason now after being off nearly for 12 weeks were wanting nhs letter or GP letter. Work had told me I could take 12 weeks as diabetics were in vulnerable group on there list.

I called never got talking to my GP it was the receptionist who said she would give me a covid - 19 letter but wont include being listed as high risk

It arrived today the letter
it talked about high risk and shielding, then said but with your health record we do not think your high risk but classed as moderate risk and follow social isolation protocols

Stay at home, outside for food, health and work reasons only, 2 metres apart from other people, wash hands, dont meet others even friends or family.

If your unable to work from home or feel your job puts you at higher risk of infection we advise that you have a discussion with your employer but at this time we cannot exempt you from work completely on medical grounds at this time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I requested a letter as work, for some reason now after being off nearly for 12 weeks were wanting nhs letter or GP letter. Work had told me I could take 12 weeks as diabetics were in vulnerable group on there list.

I called never got talking to my GP it was the receptionist who said she would give me a covid - 19 letter but wont include being listed as high risk

It arrived today the letter
it talked about high risk and shielding, then said but with your health record we do not think your high risk but classed as moderate risk and follow social isolation protocols

Stay at home, outside for food, health and work reasons only, 2 metres apart from other people, wash hands, dont meet others even friends or family.

If your unable to work from home or feel your job puts you at higher risk of infection we advise that you have a discussion with your employer but at this time we cannot exempt you from work completely on medical grounds at this time.
That looks like standard advice.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked my GP on 20th April if I can go out for exercise. I hadn’t received a letter from the Gov/NHS in March as I assume that at that time I was considered to be moderately clinically vulnerable and not extremely vulnerable. Following my call my GP or rather his Receptionist told me I should be shielding and within a few minutes the letter was emailed to me. Since then I have been staying at home and only going for a short walk a couple of times. Walking is very important to me and I miss it very much. However my control is very good and always has been since diagnosis with Type 1 seven years ago. I have had two coronary stents fitted and also have a pacemaker so guess this is why I was sent the letter. Also I am 73 yrs old so can’t really argue although I feel fit and healthy. Just hope a vaccine is found soon, wishful thinking I know.
I’m not sure what criteria they use as my husband is 63 and has an aortic root replacement (due to aneurysm), replacement aortic valve, pace maker, AFib, asthma (which he takes 3 meds for) and Parkinson’s and, much to a lot of people’s surprise, has not received a shielding letter. When he mentioned it to the nurse at his recent INR check she just replied that ‘you’re obviously not that vulnerable then’!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure what criteria they use as my husband is 63 and has an aortic root replacement (due to aneurysm), replacement aortic valve, pace maker, AFib, asthma (which he takes 3 meds for) and Parkinson’s and, much to a lot of people’s surprise, has not received a shielding letter. When he mentioned it to the nurse at his recent INR check she just replied that ‘you’re obviously not that vulnerable then’!!

I do hope he told the Nurse where to get off!!!! If I was in his shoes I would be discussing it with the actual Doctor, I can imagine they have had to identify so many that some (like your husband maybe) has slipped through the net. x

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately our surgery has never been the most proactive. I’m working from home and he’s a self employed gardener and just started working again but only 2-3 days a week if he can social distance safely but, other than that, we’re only going out for essentials so doing as much as we can to mitigate the risk.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long will the shielding letter cover you for ? I’ve been off self isolating since March as my work sent me home as I am in the vulnerable category. But due to go back next week. And I’m dreading it. But got told by my diabetic nurse to ask my doctor for a shielding letter. I emailed them yesterday waiting for a reply
Sorry I've only just seen this as I haven't been on for a while. It says for 12 weeks from receipt of the letter. Have you had a reply? I think my likelihood of exposure due to my job and also the fact that my consultant told me I should shield (both things mentioned when I made my query at my GP) influenced the fact that I got the letter. It doesn't change anything for me and luckily I can easily continue to work from home as my school have said the majority won't be back in until Sept so will need online provision etc. so I am really busy doing that!