Copy of letter sent out to NHS GPs re Shielding (03/04/20)

Max68

I must say an interesting few weeks ahead. The speed Boris seems to be going from Defcon 5 to Defcon 2 suggests within a couple of weeks anything goes!!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say an interesting few weeks ahead. The speed Boris seems to be going from Defcon 5 to Defcon 2 suggests within a couple of weeks anything goes!!
As someone over 70 and self isolating, nothing has changed since it started. Even when the 12 weeks ends I won't be making any changes in a hurry.
( BTW I think you have your defcons round the wrong way)

Max68

As someone over 70 and self isolating, nothing has changed since it started. Even when the 12 weeks ends I won't be making any changes in a hurry.

Ah you are right, 5 is safe 1 is toast!!! ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To what degree are you self isolating are you staying within the confines of your home or have you ventured out I for one have not left the house further than my front door step for over ten weeks now and it's getting beyond a joke.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To what degree are you self isolating are you staying within the confines of your home or have you ventured out I for one have not left the house further than my front door step for over ten weeks now and it's getting beyond a joke.
I go out every day either to walk my dog or to ride my bike but I keep clear of other people. My daughters occasionally come around and sit in the garden 4-5 metres away for a chat (illegally?). I haven't been to a shop or anywhere like that. I have had no problem with food deliveries so it hasn't really been too difficult. I don't have any risk factors apart from age and well controlled T2D so I think I have the right balance of caution.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I go out every day either to walk my dog or to ride my bike but I keep clear of other people. My daughters occasionally come around and sit in the garden 4-5 metres away for a chat (illegally?). I haven't been to a shop or anywhere like that. I have had no problem with food deliveries so it hasn't really been too difficult. I don't have any risk factors apart from age and well controlled T2D so I think I have the right balance of caution.

From Monday your daughters visiting won't be illegal (unless you have 6 of them!). I am similar to you. I haven't been in any shops and until unrestricted day trips were allowed all I had done was daily dog walks locally. Since we were allowed to drive for day trips hubby and I have had 2 days out with a picnic, and I can't tell you how it lifted our spirits and made us feel normal again. Toilets were a problem. Even though some public loos were open, I wouldn't use them. Bushes had to do. We encountered no problems other than that. Not very busy, easy to distance ourselves from others, and no idiots in groups. We felt safe.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that what makes self isolation tolerable, or not, is where you live. With a garden and living in semi countryside it is not really much of a hardship for me. I feel sorry for those living in towns, particularly if they have no outside space. Shielding is worse, I hope it is not too long before what must be like house arrest can end.

xenomorph2020

im not sure if I should shield once lockdown is lifted slowly.
I not had a shielding letter from GP.
Im 34 and T1, No other problems but I am underweight and slightly raised cholesterol. Think it was 4.1.
BG levels could be better my HBA1C is around 9.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Mr Pots,
Yes, it not a fair world.
Six times walking round my unkempt garden takes 30 mins and involves c.200 feet of climb up and down.
Surrounded by fields and having our food brought once a week by volunteer. Grass fed farmer butcher also brings all the great meat one can eat, we have nothing to complain about, apart from family being away.
Just wish I had a caravan in garden for family, they could even get their eyesight tested at Barnard Castle on way here from down country! :)

D.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
im not sure if I should shield once lockdown is lifted slowly.
I not had a shielding letter from GP.
Im 34 and T1, No other problems but I am underweight and slightly raised cholesterol. Think it was 4.1.
BG levels could be better my HBA1C is around 9.
I have had a letter from GP but I am still unsure what I will do once 30th of June has come and gone.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a letter from GP but I am still unsure what I will do once 30th of June has come and gone.

I am quite sure that things will carry on, as they are, until there is an official announcement - when the situation has met the criteria laid out by some official document, somewhere deep in the bowels of Whitehall. And I doubt if anyone knows when that will be.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really tough, isn’t it. I think there is going to be some sort of announcement soon about extending beyond the end of June. Not sure how I will cope. For me the first few weeks were not so bad, as I had been isolated when seriously ill in the past and survived. Then next few weeks I set myself a goal of doing something everyday in a structured and varied sort of way. Last week or so I have lost that focus. Not seeing family or friends is hard. Even if they get in touch on phone or Zoom, I have nothing to bring to a conversation. Every day is the same. Get up have breakfast, wander around the garden. Monotony. Desperate to get out in the world for a walk, stretch my legs, fill my lungs with some fresh air, because I am losing the fitness levels I have worked so hard to achieve. Think I might have to make a run for it soon, as mental health is important.

Max68

I suspect that what makes self isolation tolerable, or not, is where you live. With a garden and living in semi countryside it is not really much of a hardship for me. I feel sorry for those living in towns, particularly if they have no outside space. Shielding is worse, I hope it is not too long before what must be like house arrest can end.

I agree I am very fortunate as I drive up to a local cemetery, park, and go for a daily walk in the woods,. Seems a bit silly opening gates with dock leaves and avoiding touching anything if I can with the hand washing when I get back but better to be cautious. Only problem is I keep getting lost as I veer down new paths to avoid others. Ended up walking a 10 mile round trip on Monday and it took me three hours! Calves were as hard as a rock yesterday so bypassed the daily trip. Looked a right state when I returned home and must have looked like I'd been stuck in a desert for days!!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything is a bit odd about the handling of this virus! If they a leaving it to GPs to decide, they will all have different ideas.

Max68

It seems that some people are receiving text messages informing them they have been removed from the shielding lists and their GP's are not being informed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52848903

The lack of logic and scientific advice is quite alarming and could be placing people at risk certainly when it comes to employment as employers in general aren't the most empathic lot! To be honest I think the Government is in panic mode and seems to be opening things up willy nilly blindly with no knowledge on how the easing of the lockdown will go taking into account the infection lag effect. The fact that GP's don't seem to have a clue either doesn't help confidence.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So the rules for those shielding are changing from tomorrow we and one other from our household can go out but not to a shop or any where it is not possible to socially distance hooray cousin Boris says it will be OK. :)

Sorry not tomorrow but Monday I am loosing track of the days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52862440