Reactive Hypoglycemia - Delayed Insulin - High BS?

domonic

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone confirm or deny the below.

Does Reactive Hypoglycemia begin with a delay in Insulin release?
Also, could reactive Hypoglycemia lead to Insulin resistance if not managed?

Also, can anyone answer the below as well:
What does the latest research say on the possible causes of Reactive Hypoglycemia? Does science have any idea?

Thanks

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What does the latest research say on the possible causes of Reactive Hypoglycemia? Does science have any idea?

Thanks

1. I think you will find it varies from person to person. Hypos happen for different people at different rates, and in my case my hypo onset depends a great deal on what I have eaten, so it is hard to work out which insulin response (1st or 2nd) is doing the work, or the speed they kick in (I eat very low carb, mainly carnivore) which gives excellent hypo avoidance :D.

2. Any excess/high insulin production could produce insulin resistance in people who are susceptible to insulin resistance ( IR has various causes, from various health conditions, genetics, obesity, etc). There is a question about what starts IR in T2 diabetics, and no one has a definitive answer for that yet. I recall that Jason Fung discusses IR in detail in his blog Intensive Dietary Management. He considers IR arises from over exposure to too much insulin, over time. The same can happen with other hormones.

3. Not been tracking that lately, I am afraid.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks
Reactive Hypoglycaemia the condition, is a food reaction, mainly carbs. It is not a delayed response because their is a double peak in many so depending on your initial insulin response, the height of the spike which triggers the second insulin response or in most cases called an overshoot.
In uncontrolled blood glucose levels because of the fluctuations, insulin resistance is more than likely, but not in every case, it depends on the individual.
Myself, I had hyperinsulinaemia before diagnosis, and this condition will exacerbate insulin resistance.

This is why you hear a lot terms such as idiopathic, this means no known reason.
But, I believe that it is your body adapting to modern high carb diet, with all the processed foods that are now eaten.
The how is now known, the why , not as much!
No cure, but good treatment of your dietary regime is almost as good!

Keep safe

domonic

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you're interested. I am too.
This article may also be interesting to you as well. Keep in mind that Acetic acid is in vinegar. It's lowest in Apple Cider Vinegar and Highest in white vinegar and regular bang bottom cheap brown vinegar. I once discovered that eating two smaller dinners, the last one before bed, and eating both with vinegar as a dressing resulted in dramatic weight loss and improved glucose uptake and strength increases. See the link.
https://www.mpg.de/8952248/acetic-acid-insulin-secretion

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't find ACV useful, for weight loss or insulin resistance.
But I must admit that I found the taste utterly repellent and intolerable (had the s ame response to sauerkraut and kimchi and Kombucha) so it is quite possible I failed to give it a fair trial.

My experience is that I would rather eat once or twice a day, keto, rather than multiple small meals. It seems to suit me better. But if two suppers and ACV suits you, that is fab - just remember to rinse the ACV away every time, before it dissolves your tooth enamel!

domonic

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't find ACV useful, for weight loss or insulin resistance.
But I must admit that I found the taste utterly repellent and intolerable (had the s ame response to sauerkraut and kimchi and Kombucha) so it is quite possible I failed to give it a fair trial.

My experience is that I would rather eat once or twice a day, keto, rather than multiple small meals. It seems to suit me better. But if two suppers and ACV suits you, that is fab - just remember to rinse the ACV away every time, before it dissolves your tooth enamel!

Yes, I'm aware of its corrosive effects on your teeth. I don't use ACV though. It's just something I discovered. Two small high carb meals with vinegar. No fat. I can only theorize why.

But I do prefer keto. That also improves everything for me.