EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Dexcom g6 has finally made it to New Zealand and I am going to splash out on a transmitter and some sensors. (Or maybe sign up for a yearly plan, which effectively gives you free transmitters, but has a NZ$700 cancellation fee if the sensors don't work for me.)

So, my issue is that I am one of those who became allergic to the libre - I could possibly have lived with the allergy but it caused the readings from the sensors to be inaccurate by completely random amounts.

I don't know whether it was the probe or the glue but whatever it is I don't want to become allergic to the Dexcom, given this is probably my last chance at a cgm. The libre worked fine for me for the first 8 months so I know it is something that can happen gradually....

Does anyone have any recommendations as to ways to minimise my chances of developing an allergy, or is there nothing I can do?

Any opinions on whether to immediately sign up for yearly plan, which depends on the odds of the Dexcom working/or not for my body.... What are the stats on Dexcom incompatibility.....????

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Dexcom g6 has finally made it to New Zealand and I am going to splash out on a transmitter and some sensors. (Or maybe sign up for a yearly plan, which effectively gives you free transmitters, but has a NZ$700 cancellation fee if the sensors don't work for me.)

So, my issue is that I am one of those who became allergic to the libre - I could possibly have lived with the allergy but it caused the readings from the sensors to be inaccurate by completely random amounts.

I don't know whether it was the probe or the glue but whatever it is I don't want to become allergic to the Dexcom, given this is probably my last chance at a cgm. The libre worked fine for me for the first 8 months so I know it is something that can happen gradually....

Does anyone have any recommendations as to ways to minimise my chances of developing an allergy, or is there nothing I can do?

Any opinions on whether to immediately sign up for yearly plan, which depends on the odds of the Dexcom working/or not for my body.... What are the stats on Dexcom incompatibility.....????

Have you looked at, or joined the Facebook page for people getting Dexcom and Libre rashes?

Reactions: EllieM

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie,
speaking from personal experience here. I used the Libre for almost a year, 8 months without a problem, before skin problems started, Initially just a reddening of the skin before steadily getting worse with each sensor, to the point where the wounds were taking weeks to heal and the accuracy became so poor as to make them useless. Libre denied that there was ever a problem with the adhesive and that they had no reports of this, in spite of various forums set up specifically with tips and tricks on how to avoid it. Buying the various barriers, tapes and so on wasn't cheap either...

Moving on, Dexcom had a trial for the G5 sensor and transmitter which I took advantage of. After 3 months there was no signs of any of the problems caused by the Libre. To shorten the story, I'm now on the G6 with annual subscription and 2 years on no skin problems whatso ever. The new applicator is very ease to use and the app on the phone works well. You need to check on the website that your phone is compatible. I have a smartwatch as well, so I can see my current reading and a trend on my wrist. Very handy on a long drive.

The system is generally accurate but occasionally throws a wobbly with respect to readings. The support has been very good as well with the support staff being knowledgeable and following up after they've sorted your problem out.

I'd try your plan to splash out and if it's good after the first transmitter, sign to the subscription system which takes away all the worries about having to order in a timely fashion as shown by the ten sensors and a new transmitter sitting in the cupboard ready for use.

Hope this is helpful.

zibi1

If I can add, Dexcom improved over the years. I used to get terrible skin rashes with the G5. Dexcom has always been aware of the issue from user feedback, although officially they would always say that their sensors are ipo-allergenic. With the G6, whatever they have done, it's working. I have no skin rashes whatsoever.
I should mention, though, that I usually wear sensors on a 10 days on / one week off schedule to give my skin some rest ;)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I should mention, though, that I usually wear sensors on a 10 days on / one week off schedule to give my skin some rest ;)
So you just resign yourself to wasting some of the transmitter time? Or can the transmitters be made to last more than 3 months....? (I don't see why you can't just replace the battery).

zibi1

I'm just resigned to waste transmitter time. In reality, I could wear the G6 without any pause as the itching seems to be completely gone. However, I also do it for my mental sanity - I find it good mentally to take a rest here and there from seeing my blood glucose every five mins.