Exeter University study find 2 versions of type 1.

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for sharing - really interesting to see this. I was also diagnosed in my 30s and therefore class myself as LADA (or Type 1.5). Feels like progress that there is now further research into the time taken for the autoimmune system to impact the production of insulin.

Reactions: Rose22

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am curious as to what the heck
shows for the first time that children who were diagnosed under 7 years old do not process insulin properly and the cells that make it are quickly destroyed
means though, if children with that type can't process insulin properly how do pumps and injections work?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for sharing - really interesting to see this. I was also diagnosed in my 30s and therefore class myself as LADA (or Type 1.5). Feels like progress that there is now further research into the time taken for the autoimmune system to impact the production of insulin.
Ah brilliant, glad you found it interesting too. Yes I thought I would be told LADA but they have put under classification on diagnosis, type 1. I’m wondering if the gp/hospital still go along the lines of two types of diabetes one and two? Very frustrating! Was treated as type 2 for two long years and finally got cpeptide and anti gad tested one, strong positive anti gad and islet cells. 4 months on Repaglinide and then now insulin, my poor immune system took a bash and tipped me over I think.
My grandmother was also in her 30s when diagnosed type 1 many years ago now.
My gp still refuses to acknowledge type 1..told me several times I am type 2. I hope the more research that is done and the more knowledge is made widely available going forward treatment will be better for people that don’t fit the classic type 1 as a child. We all face the same obstacles and trials and tribulations as diabetics. If they could clarify with more detail each type I think it’ll help going forwards.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

means though, if children with that type can't process insulin properly how do pumps and injections work?
Hmm see what you mean...not sure! Not written very clearly that part.. We all need insulin and as you say once injected or pump it does it’s job within the body.

I guess they mean the body doesn’t process insulin and attacks until nothing left? Whereas people diagnosed in older age groups do have some insulin producing cells left? I think this would be me, it’s like they’re in a coma state or something, the ones left that is! Still I’m happy to see research is ongoing for type 1.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

It's about converting Proinsulin into Insulin.

"Proinsulin is a single polypeptide chain composed of the B and A subunits of insulin joined by the C-peptide region. Proinsulin is converted to insulin during the maturation of secretory vesicles by the action of two proteases and conversion is inhibited by ionophores that disrupted intracellular H+ gradients."

Reactions: Todd1974

Max_Leigh

What happens if you were diagnosed between 7 and 13?

I was diagnosed age 12 but my body still processed the insulin as the study shows someone age 13 or over would and my consultant called this a honeymoon period. I was able to eat snacks of up to 30g of carbs without having to inject.

We think I am over this now and since then I have been increasing the doses of insulin I’ve been having to take.

Is this common or an odd occurrence?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What happens if you were diagnosed between 7 and 13?

I was diagnosed age 12 but my body still processed the insulin as the study shows someone age 13 or over would and my consultant called this a honeymoon period. I was able to eat snacks of up to 30g of carbs without having to inject.

We think I am over this now and since then I have been increasing the doses of insulin I’ve been having to take.

Is this common or an odd occurrence?

It's about half way down the report.....

"The paper proposes that children diagnosed between the ages of seven and 12 could fall into either the T1DE 1 or T1DE 2 group. The research team is now working on more precise ways to define which type of diabetes such children have by studying the small amounts of insulin released into their blood."

Regards
Urb'