cosmic69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Office politics
Hi all

I'm a Type 2, diagnosed 5 years. In those five years I have had my gall-bladder out. I would love to go low-carb/high fat but I don't think my digestive system could cope with that. I also have IBS(D) and have an adverse reaction to anything like sorbitol or any of the sugar substitutes (I have tried quite a few).
I'm not too sure which way to turn with regards to diet at all. I'm Type 2 on Metformin 1 tab per day.
I have a meter but as I am on ESA (lowest rate) I cannot afford even a battery, never mind bayonets or testing strips, so I really couldn't say what my readings are.
I only see anyone remotely concerned with my diabetes twice a year, when I have my appointment with the practice nurse for blood tests, feet check etc. I don't think I have ever had access to a proper diabetic nurse so I have had no advice of any substance.

Help!

K

Kat100

My gallbladder came out last year and I can't follow low carb and I don't do high fat...

But I have lost weight 3 stones and with little and smaller portions of my normal diet , a veggie one, and of courser no or low sugar ....depending.
I have an awful problem with fats this for me includes cream and milk....

We are all different and we have to take the lead in what our bodies need....good luck with all your goals
Hope you also get to see the right person for your diabetic health needs ....best wishes Kat

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all different, I know of some people who can eat normally after losing their gall bladder, but since losing mine there is no way I could eat high fat. Just 1 sausage will make me very ill. Sometimes I can tolerate an egg, but mostly not,which is a shame. I have lowered my carbs to roughly 100g a day and am fine with fish and chicken, but not fried! It does make things difficult when you develop diabetes and your diet is already restricted, but it's a matter of trial and error, unfortunately. However, I have still lost 3 stones and seem to have my BG under control.

Reactions: 3 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well done Beshliie in working out what works for you in your circumstances and top marks for the weight loss.

Take care

Doug

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I'm a Type 2, diagnosed 5 years. In those five years I have had my gall-bladder out. I would love to go low-carb/high fat but I don't think my digestive system could cope with that. I also have IBS(D) and have an adverse reaction to anything like sorbitol or any of the sugar substitutes (I have tried quite a few).
I'm not too sure which way to turn with regards to diet at all. I'm Type 2 on Metformin 1 tab per day.
I have a meter but as I am on ESA (lowest rate) I cannot afford even a battery, never mind bayonets or testing strips, so I really couldn't say what my readings are.
I only see anyone remotely concerned with my diabetes twice a year, when I have my appointment with the practice nurse for blood tests, feet check etc. I don't think I have ever had access to a proper diabetic nurse so I have had no advice of any substance.

Help!
The sorbitol or sweetener question are out of my experience, but other wise I can suggest you start high fat slowly. I know fat of good quality is expensive but buy the best affordable. And cut out sweets completely, including sweeteners.

High fat low carb as in almost no carbs at all have made a world of difference to me. I haven't had this level of energy for over twenty years.

But for some it works better do do it gradually.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read about FODMAPS, you will discover exactly why you have issues with sugar alcohols - I have the exact same problem:

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

I've also heard that bile salts and pancreatic enzyme supplements can be of help to people who've had their gallbladders removed. I haven't had mine out, though I have stones and mine has a tendency to be very grumbly - enzymes have certainly helped me.

There is research linking gallbladder issues to gluten intolerance, so that is another issue that adopting a FODMAPS diet may address for you.

Hope you can find a way of eating that works for all of your health issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmic69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Office politics
Hi again all

Many thanks for the recommendations and links. It's still a bit of a minefield though.
I'm trying all manner of things to try to be able to look for work again, but long journeys on the bus are problematic due to the IBS(D), and what do I say to an employer because I often feel so wiped out.
A year or so ago I was on 2x500 Metformin, but the doctor at the hospital said reduce to 1x500, which I did. This was a doctor at the gastroenterology dept. I checked with my own doctor and have been on 1x500 since. No difference in the running to the loo though! BGs when tested were ok after six months.

Hoping that one day things will improve.

Jools.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
@cosmic69
:) Hello. Something of a dilemma for you isn't it.
I eat LCHF without my gallbladder. I had it removed in 1978, which was major abdo surgery in those days, not the micro used now. Apart from a few weeks immediately following surgery I have had no problem since with fat. I also suffered with IBS for many years but since swapping to LCHF and also removing grains from my diet, that horrible, horrible problem seems to have disappeared. My Hba1c has halved and my BG levels have become stable. I don't think you have much to lose by giving it a go, at least for a few weeks.
Good luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

kyleddoody

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
my father in law has very similar situation. Thanks for creating this thread. The replies were really helpful!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-diets/get-rid-gallstones-without-surgery/The comments to this blogpost by lowcarb Dr. Eades might be of interest to you.

Thanks for that link. Really interesting article and comments. It sounds like most people who have had their gall bladder removed are able to tolerate fats and do the LCHF diet, though it may take a little time to work up to it. He also shared that low fat diets encourage the development of gall stones, and high fat diets don't. Good news for those of us on the LCHF diet. :)

[name removed], January 27, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thank you Dr. Eades for sharing this information. Your post is exactly what happened to my wife when she was in college. Extremely low fat and low calorie diet followed by gall stones a year later.

This was ten years ago and we eat a low carb diet now. She is still a bit fat phobic and concerned that increasing fat in her diet might cause problems since she has no gall bladder. Would you consider this to be a concern for a patient?

Thanks as always for sharing so much great information.

mreades, January 31, 2014 at 10:09 am

• b2a46410aff574d8c058a908a9cfd636

No. At this stage, she should be able to do fine on a low-carb, higher-fat diet. If she has symptoms, she should back off the fat a little, but I doubt she will.

I found this additional comment helpful too...

• mreades, March 14, 2014 at 5:29 am
    b2a46410aff574d8c058a908a9cfd636

Actually, the butter and MCT oil are less of a problem than longer chain fatty acids. MCT is, by definition, medium chain fats and butter is mainly short chain fatty acids. Both short and medium chain fats are absorbed directly by the liver in the same way as are carbohydrates. The longer chain fats need the bile to be broken down so they can be absorbed. When they are absorbed, they don’t go directly into the liver, but end up in the lymphatic system. So, post GB surgery, you shouldn’t have nearly the problems with MCT and butter as you would with other fats, say, those found in meat.

You’ve just got to work into fat consumption slowly and go as quickly as your symptoms will allow. Ultimately, you should be able to consume all the fat you want.

Jean from Stoke on Trent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Help!
Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed in 1992, diagnosed T2 in June 2009. Like you there was still food I could not eat even though I made constant visits to the GP. The most severe was October 2014 I had diarrhoea for 6 weeks one GP said "Im sure it will clear". I kept going back and eventually I was given a hospital appointment where I had tests, bowel polyps were found and I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was also informed I was producing too many bile salts due to the removal of the gall bladder. I now take Colestryamine sugar free powders which binds the salts. I am managing the low carb diet with low fats with the odd treat of double cream and fruit.
I hope my story is of help and if like me you visit your GP to get further help.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My gallbladder was removed some years ago and I'm fine with fat. I don't do sweeteners so I don't know if they would bother me. I just skip foods that have or need more than a very little bit of sugar.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont do high fat. I do low carb, higher protein, medium fat. The fats I use are butter, goose fat, olive oil and dripping from a roast. There is no need to do stuff yourself with fats you dont want or cant eat. The lower carbs are the important bit, and then adjusting the protein and fats to compensate for the reduction in food intake.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
forgot to add:

the term High Fats doesnt not mean you have to eat a lot of fats, that is a common misconception. It means that, compared to the amount of fats we are told to eat when given the standard healthy foods advice, those of us who eat fewer carbs then eat proportionally more fats to make up the difference. Thats all.

Dbond

I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. I wanted to go on a keto diet but not sure what I am allowed or not allowed to eat.
Does anyone have any recipes or website that I could refer to in order to follow the diet. I do not have diabetes. Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. I wanted to go on a keto diet but not sure what I am allowed or not allowed to eat.
Does anyone have any recipes or website that I could refer to in order to follow the diet. I do not have diabetes. Thanks
www.dietdoctor.com has quite a few keto and very low carb recipes..