Type 2 Testing on Fingers

Canofcoke77

Hi guys hope you are all well and staying safe.
I'm new to the group and wanted to ask the following question.
I'm a type 2 and have been for 9 years now. Recently started on insulin and now testing 4 timed a day. My fingers are so sore from testing and I've been getting bruises on my fingers. Are there alternative places apart from the fingers that I could test that would still give me accurate readings. I look forward to your help

Stay safe
Canofcoke77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can afford it, the freestyle libre is an alternative. You can ask your doctor to prescribe it but as you are a T2 it is unlikely. The cheapest place for the sensors is asda they last 2 weeks and cost £46.

Are you using diet to manage your T2?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys hope you are all well and staying safe.
I'm new to the group and wanted to ask the following question.
I'm a type 2 and have been for 9 years now. Recently started on insulin and now testing 4 timed a day. My fingers are so sore from testing and I've been getting bruises on my fingers. Are there alternative places apart from the fingers that I could test that would still give me accurate readings. I look forward to your help

Stay safe
Canofcoke77

We have an information page that might be of interest to you.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/alternate-site-testing.html

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Some meters come with an attachment for the lancing device that allows alternate site testing
AST.jpg

Reactions: Canofcoke77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Alternate Site Testing Guide:
Alternate Site Testing (AST ) gives you more options. Blood Glucose Monitors and Strips that are approved for Alternate Site Testing are able to accurately test blood samples from the following sites: Forearm, Upper Arm, Thigh, Calf, Hand, Fingers.
Note: Results from AST may not be as accurate as readings from fingertips. Alternate site readings differ from fingertip readings when blood glucose levels are changing rapidly such as after meals, after taking insulin, during exercise, or when you are ill or under stress. Please read the Owner’s Manual that came with your meter to find out more information about its AST capabilities
Recommendation: If you are testing for hypoglycemia (low blood glucose), or if you suffer from hypoglycemia unawareness, it is recommended that you test on your fingers only.

AlternateSiteTesting2.jpg

https://education.betterlivingnow.com/Diabetes/index.cfm?topic=AlternateSiteTestingGuide

Canofcoke77

If you can afford it, the freestyle libre is an alternative. You can ask your doctor to prescribe it but as you are a T2 it is unlikely. The cheapest place for the sensors is asda they last 2 weeks and cost £46.

Hi I've asked but still waiting for the reply. Yeah too expensive for me to buy. I've just started insulin as my HAB1c was 92 now working so happy. Yeah I need to loose weight learning lots about type 2.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as said above if you think your glucose is low (hypo) then only use your fingers as other sites are known to give delayed or inaccurate readings.

Some possibly tips for testing on your fingers which might help once bruising etc has gone:
- try and increase blood circulation beforehand, eg by shaking your hand in a downwards motion, or doing some exercise or fist clenches
- similarly, try to warm your hands to allow more blood flow closer to the surface of your skin
- check you're using the correct lancet depth. Too deep and it will hurt more, but too shallow and you'll struggle to get blood out. Your GP or diabetes team (I assume you have one if you're on insulin) might be able to prescribe different lancets that you prefer. You don't have to use the lancing device that came with your meter if a different one is easier for you!
- don't squeeze your finger near where you used the lancet. Instead try and sort of rub from your wrist along your palm and down the finger (called milking!) to encourage blood flow down your finger.

Hope this helps a little at least!

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as the points mentioned above, another thing (that you may already be doing!) is to prick at the side of the fingertip, near the nail rather than in the centre of the tip (where there are more nerve endings)

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I do is to record with the result which finger I used. That way I know to switch to the other side of that finger, or to the next finger if I've already done both sides) on the next test.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tend just to alternate fingers and hands.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

They can be a fair bit out if your BGs are below 4 or above 12