Which meter would you recommend?

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hello! It's been a very long time since I was a regular on here! Since being diagnosed Type 2, eight years ago, I've gone through most of the ups and downs that we all experience. I've been fanatical about my diabetes control and I've also had tough times in life when I've just given in and let my control slip.

I need to reconnect to tighter control again - current HbA1c is 6.7 or 50 - and I would like to come off the Metformin which I've only been taking properly for a year. My cholesterol is too high at 5.3 so that also needs work again.

I'd like to get a new meter and I'd be interested if any of you could recommend a good one - and why you like it. My old meter is a bit knocked about and probably very out of date. (One Touch - Select Plus).

Thanks very much.
Cath

M

Member496333

I currently use a Contour Next One but unpaired and without the app.

I've been through a bunch of meters, including other Next models, and have settled on the Next system due its ridiculously good relative (repeatable) accuracy.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for replying Jim! I'll look into that one.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Cathy,

Where are you? One touch has been accurate but was expensive. The one I use is only sold in the United States, ReliOn from Abbot labs

Skyking

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I'm in Canada. I use an Abbott Frestyle Libre, which is a Continuous Glucose Monitoring device.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks both of you. I'm in the UK. The One Touch strips are relatively inexpensive here. I might just stick with the old faithful!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use for finger pricks the Caresens Dual is quite accurate and can measure Ketones as well as blood sugars, strips are not very expensive either.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I don't have breakdown of cholesterol to hand - my "good cholesterol" is really good.... but nurse said they require diabetics to be at 4 (!) I have been offered a statin which I'm resisting at all costs.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I don't have breakdown of cholesterol to hand - my "good cholesterol" is really good.... but nurse said they require diabetics to be at 4 (!) I have been offered a statin which I'm resisting at all costs.
They can recommend them or even prescribe them, but you don't have to take them or fill the prescription

Canofcoke77

I have the contor next meter and I must say it's changed my thinking and attitude to testing. Its strips require less blood which is a bonus. I've also download the app and it produces amazing detailed reports to show you averages on a chart.
Hope this helps good luck

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I use the new contour next Bluetooth

All the same features as the next one meter but a bit bigger

IMG_1591438296.001050.jpg

Reactions: Buzzer81

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the helpful advice xx

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As someone now on them (since March) why is that?
Is the doctor/nurse going to stand next to you every day and watch you take them/force them down your throat? Filling the prescription and having a stock pile in my opinion is wrong, if you don't want to take them, just don't tick the repeat

holmroad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.
Unnecessary obesity.
Hi - I would recommend the Accuchek Mobile EVERY time - I have been using one for years now, it's main benefit being that it stores 50 tests from a loadable drum obtainable on prescription.
This means NO having to dispose of individual test strips as you go along - the Accuchek does all this for you!
It is also very accurate for reading blood sugar levels in a memory system, suitable for statistical analysis by both yourself AND your diabetic clinician!
See:-
https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/mobile

Attachments

• mobileaccuchek.jpg
    mobileaccuchek.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: jimbro4

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Canada. I use an Abbott Frestyle Libre, which is a Continuous Glucose Monitoring device.
Sorry to nitpick, but Freestyle Libre is a flash monitor not a CGM. Both are a massive improvement on BG meters though.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! ...
I'd like to get a new meter and I'd be interested if any of you could recommend a good one - and why you like it. My old meter is a bit knocked about and probably very out of date. (One Touch - Select Plus).
Hi Cath, I got a GlucoRX HCT meter b/c meter and strips were not dear and it also can measures ketones. Also meant to be accurate as it measures Haematocrit rather than using an assumed average.

gerryat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
hi
New here. I am not treated for any diabetes at the moment, but have had a couple of HbA1c tests done over the past 2 years. They came in at 40....So knowing that is just about prediabetes range I bought an Accuchek Copact Plus meter.
During the time I used that I was never tested by GP (in UK) but self tested and was always surprised that my sugar levels seemed so low, considering the HbA1c was so high.
Well now the Accucheck is discontinued and so I bought a Tee2+ yesterday.....!!!!!!
The TEE2+ has not been checked with control solution (on its way to me) but maybe now I can see the answer to my question.
This meter is showing much higher readings than the Accucheck. I tested 5 times yesterday after the first reading that was 3 hours after eating a breakfast of 4 small rounds of toast with small amount of Jam turned in at reading of 5.7mmol, I have no Accuchek strips left now so could not compare results. So I tested again at 5 hours from breakfast and result was 6.1....so going up !!!
I had very rarely seen 6.1 on the Accucheck even 2 hours after a good meal.
So continuing, I tested again after 6 hours and was up to 6.3 (eaten nothing since breakfast, just one cup of coffee with small milk but without sugar.
I had cheese and biscuits for lunch with tomato and a yoghurt, at 12.30 tested again at15.00hrs and it was down to 5.4.
Had large meal 6pm (home made chicken curry with small amount of mash potatoes) + Apple pie (not large with custard) + glass of normal English beer and at 8pm tested again to get a reading of 8.00mmol
I am wondering if this meter is accurate?
I notice that the control solution should show a reading between 6.1 and 9.1mmol, which seems to me to be a huge variation
Any more experienced any thoughts on this??