Any advice appreciated

Lisach1

Hi all I'm a new member on here and just wanted some advice please . I was diagnosed with type 2 last year finally getting my levels back to normal. Recently I have lost a lot of weigh (so I've been told ) the last 3 weeks I have been having about 2.5-3 hrs sleep a night but my thirst level has rocketed through the roof last night I drank 1.5 litres of water during the night . I have just tested my levels and its reading hi .obviously I'm going to be ringing the drs 1st thing I'm still taking my metformin as prescribed any ideas why its sky rocketed right up again . Any ideas welcome and sorry for the long post .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I'm a new member on here and just wanted some advice please . I was diagnosed with type 2 last year finally getting my levels back to normal. Recently I have lost a lot of weigh (so I've been told ) the last 3 weeks I have been having about 2.5-3 hrs sleep a night but my thirst level has rocketed through the roof last night I drank 1.5 litres of water during the night . I have just tested my levels and its reading hi .obviously I'm going to be ringing the drs 1st thing I'm still taking my metformin as prescribed any ideas why its sky rocketed right up again . Any ideas welcome and sorry for the long post .
Hi @Lisach1 , and welcome to the forum!
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well at the moment.
If you feel in any way nauseaous, have a stomach ache or otherwise feel unwell, please don't wait until the morning to call in! If in doubt, call 111 for advice.

Not wanting to sound alarmist but a HI on your meter means dangerous levels. I assume you don't have a way to test for ketones?
Wish you all the best, and please don't think you are wasting a doctors time if you call tonight. You're not.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I am glad you have contacted you doc, but with a reading of HI I would give 111 (assuming you are in the UK?) a call, describe what you are going through, and follow their advice.

sometimes people are diagnosed as T2 diabetics because of their age and weight, but sometimes it later turns out that they really have one of the other types of diabetes. If metformin isn’t helping and you have high blood glucose then you definitely need to get checked out.

in the meantime, please read the following link.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
with a reading of HI I would give 111 (assuming you are in the UK?) a call, describe what you are going through, and follow their advice.
Agree. And please mention the weight loss when you call them, it could be very relevant in their assessment.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lisach1

Good advice already given - I agree that the HI reading indicates a level that your meter cannot read so best to follow advice given by contacting 111.

Please let us know how you get on ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Call 111. tell the advisor about your thirst, recent weight loss &"HI" meter readings..

Best wishes.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The HI reading can mean anything from 21 after too many meter tests to into the thirties eg 31 to 37. What did the doctor say?

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also milk can make you excessively thirsty - if you drank that before the water.