Type 2 Tea

Lilylala

Jason Fong seems to think so 'the diet doctor ' promotes drinking green tea whilst intermittent fasting , don't like tea myself but doing his diet though.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tea should be good: green tea is a nice clean drink, makes your stomach feel nice and your mouth feel fresh. When I drink normal black tea, like Yorkshire tea or Tetley, I just make it a bit weaker and drink it black. I'm not so sure about the ideas of it lowering blood sugars, de-toxifying, etc- I think in that regard it's similar to water, but it's certainly good for fasting as it keeps you out of a slump and takes the edge off your appetite.

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea should be good: green tea is a nice clean drink, makes your stomach feel nice and your mouth feel fresh. When I drink normal black tea, like Yorkshire tea or Tetley, I just make it a bit weaker and drink it black. I'm not so sure about the ideas of it lowering blood sugars, de-toxifying, etc- I think in that regard it's similar to water, but it's certainly good for fasting as it keeps you out of a slump and takes the edge off your appetite.
OK thanks for that I like peppermint tea and raspberries and cranberry blush tea

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks for that I like peppermint tea and raspberries and cranberry blush tea
Absolutely fine. No carbs, no artificial flavours , no sweetners
Just dont add milk, sugar or sweetners.
I love ginger tea too. There are also many flavours to try

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Absolutely fine. No carbs, no artificial flavours , no sweetners
Just dont add milk, sugar or sweetners.
I love ginger tea too. There are also many flavours to try

What's wrong with sweeteners they don't affect my blood sugars and I have them in my nightly herbal tea quite often milk is another matter I never add milk to herbal tea.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's wrong with sweeteners they don't affect my blood sugars and I have them in my nightly herbal tea quite often milk is another matter I never add milk to herbal tea.

Many people don’t like them because they aren’t generally natural. Some newer ones are marketed as natural.

There is thought that although not affecting blood glucose, they to cause an insulin response thereby maintaining high insulin levels, presumably contributing to insulin resistance.

There was a thread last year sometime discussing the possibility that artificial sweeteners could also cause diabetes. It’s been in the papers too.

I do often wonder if that didn’t help me as I drank a lot of artificially sweetened drinks in my time.

Reactions: Buzzer81

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They're fine for some, not for others. Depends on a couple of things. Whether you get a pre-emptive insulin response when you smell or taste something sweet (which then triggers a liver dump because the insulin's not actually needed,causing higher blood sugars after a little dip). And for me, well... Artificial sweeteners are toxic to gut bacteria. And you really, REALLY need healthy, living gut bacteria. I still haven't recovered from killing them off with my 50 little tablets of sweetener a day (plus diet coke), and it's been well over a year. Heck, two, almost. But if they're fine for you, run with it!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is green tea good for diebetic
It's supposed to be full of anti-oxidants and whatnot, which is good for just about everybody, not just diabetics. I just can't abide the stuff though. Herbal tea's, and proper black teas, yeah. Green tea... That's icky! ;)

Buzzer81

I find green tea a great drink and I can vouch for it being an excellent hunger suppressant. This can obviously help when trying to lose weight.

Green tea can be a little bitter which is why I go for the Twinings Green tea with lotus flower and orange which i find time be a great tasting tea!!!!

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try a Young Hyson or Lung Chin Dragonwell green tea and don't over brew.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having agreed with John, I'll add that I regularly use erythritol and stevia, either on their own or in combination. These are essentially natural in origin and are perfectly safe for diabetic use. But there are some artificial sweeteners that I'd never give house room to. And I'd certainly never ever dream of adding milk or its nutty equivalents (e.g. almond "milk") to any herbal tea that passes my lips, though I do add the latter to my coffee or chocolate drinks.

ETA I should clarify: I don't normally use my sweeteners in herb teas, except for one or two that need a tiny drop or two of liquid stevia.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is thought that although not affecting blood glucose, they to cause an insulin response thereby maintaining high insulin levels, presumably contributing to insulin resistance.

There is thought that the moon is made of green cheese, the earth is flat that newspapers always tell the truth and politicians never lie I do not give credence to any those assertions either.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, this should have been in the original post above, don't drink either of these teas with milk or any sweetener.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This time of year I enjoy tea made from fresh mint , lemon balm, or fennel all of which I have growing in the garden. Or fresh ginger. These all taste sweeter than the dried varieties (to me)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm afraid there's nothing much growing in my garden at the moment apart from grass and weeds so it's dried or nothing at the moment.

I particularly like the Novus Wild encounter tea bags which contain
Hibiscus flowers
Apple pieces
Rose hips
Elderberries
Strawberry
Passion fruit
Kiwi
Raspberry
Sunflower blossoms
rose petal
Blue corn flowers

Don't add any thing to that but water as it tastes so good as it is.

The tea bags smell so heavenly you could use them as a Potpourri .

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I particularly like the Novus Wild encounter tea bags which contain
Hibiscus flowers
Apple pieces
Rose hips
Elderberries
Strawberry
Passion fruit
Kiwi
Raspberry
Sunflower blossoms
rose petal
Blue corn flowers

Don't add any thing to that but water as it tastes so good as it is.

The tea bags smell so heavenly you could use them as a Potpourri .
:hungry: Thanks for leading me into temptation - I'm off to see if I can find some to order online now...

ETA That was easy thanks to Amazon, and I'll have some tomorrow. They do a subscribe & save offer too. I'm going to end up with a house stuffed full of "tasty" teabags at this rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I always find they look and smell better than they taste so I add sweeteners which I dont have in normal white tea.