I’m on my honeymoon!!!!

TypeZero.

I was initially very negative thinking I will not have a honeymoon period only today I realised I’m on my honeymoon.

It’s such a nice feeling knowing that your body can help itself.

So my blood sugar was 3.8 and I ate 30g of carbs which should ideally increase my BG by +9 but it only went up to a maximum of 9.4 then went down itself without insulin.

So according to my calculations I need 1/3 less exogenous insulin.

Any tips on how to prolong B cell function and preserve the cells?

Reactions: Struma

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Any tips on how to prolong B cell function and preserve the cells?
Watch your blood glucose closely and don't allow it to spike. The autoimmune attack starts the process but excess glucose kills most beta cells. A neighbour diagnosed T1 18 years ago still makes much of his own insulin. He uses my old pump so he can suspend it during exercise. He preserved his beta cells by meticulously keeping blood glucose near normal. His HBa1c has always been in the 30's. You may find that you have to restrict carbs more over time to maintain this.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there im no expert what Diabetic is ? But id be cautious ... dribbling insulin output can vary from day to day hour to hour when in honeymoon so you cant predict whats going to happen ... keep a very close eye on things. Good luck

Reactions: Marie 2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was initially very negative thinking I will not have a honeymoon period only today I realised I’m on my honeymoon.

It’s such a nice feeling knowing that your body can help itself.

So my blood sugar was 3.8 and I ate 30g of carbs which should ideally increase my BG by +9 but it only went up to a maximum of 9.4 then went down itself without insulin.

So according to my calculations I need 1/3 less exogenous insulin.

Any tips on how to prolong B cell function and preserve the cells?

Yes, use your insulin when you need it and work out your insulin to carb ratio and test, test, test. If you don't use your insulin and instead rely on whether your honeymoon period is doing it all for you, that is a sure fire way to kill off your remaining b cells. Give them some help, that's what your insulin is for. Your body may well be 'helping itself' using what insulin it has left but it will be struggling to provide all of your insulin needs, you are DIABETIC and the diagnosis is proof that your body is not coping. x

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i read a study that said if you keep sugar levels below 7.8 this prevents further beta cells from being attacked

wise to get on insulin from the start