JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been shopping because I believe that if you don't want physical shops to go out of business then we have to get on with it.
Shopping to die for maybe, I'm all for supporting the retail sector but I am not willing to sacrifice my life for it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shopping to die for maybe, I'm all for supporting the retail sector but I am not willing to sacrifice my life for it.

John, if you had been in our town this morning, social distancing was being practised, without exception. Of course, the stair rod rain possibly had a part to play in that. My mission was to buy shares in the butchers,.. again, and visit "Arkwright's" (not the shop name, but you get the drift), in the search for small silicone O-rings.

Mission accomplished on both counts.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Shopping, yep have been out shopping, if I didn't go out then I would starve. Can not get a delivery space for love nor money. I am in the high risk sector too, have stage 4CKD and also lung problems.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My local Co-op is a night mare though it's all set out for social distancing with a one way system around the shop with markers on the floor to show people where to stand but no one is taking a blind bit of notice grandson got so hacked off with one individual who was right in his face more than once, he felt like punching him of course he didn't but he did feel like it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My local Co-op is a night mare though it's all set out for social distancing with a one way system around the shop with markers on the floor to show people where to stand but no one is taking a blind bit of notice grandson got so hacked off with one individual who was right in his face more than once, he felt like punching him of course he didn't but he did feel like it.

It was the same in my local Asda. One way arrows, plane to see on the floor. I have a very loud mouth (no comments please :) ) and have had to explain to people the meaning of arrows and social distancing. Some people have no idea and don't give a monkeys

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I said, I am 49 and otherwise fit so it is okay for me to say this to all of us for whom this might be a reasonable risk to take.
My father is an obese 72 year old man with t2 and hypertension therefore he might be advised to be on point with his hygiene and not to go on a protest march etc if he were to go out but there again the man is delighted to be living the hermit life with the help of Amazon!

Reactions: Jamie H and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shopping? I live on my own so never stopped in the first place :p it's good they're staying open later as I don't have to cherry pick the quiet times, I just keep my distance, use their hand gel and wash my hands when I get home.

I've got used to the 13g carbs a slice wholemeal bread so aren't rushing back to the 11g/slice one :p

Reactions: set-in-stone

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As I said, I am 49 and otherwise fit so it is okay for me to say this to all of us for whom this might be a reasonable risk to take.
My father is an obese 72 year old man with t2 and hypertension therefore he might be advised to be on point with his hygiene and not to go on a protest march etc if he were to go out but there again the man is delighted to be living the hermit life with the help of Amazon!

One of the latest victims of this virus was a 13 day old baby relatively youthfulness and fitness is not necessarily protective always but it is up to you what risk you are willing to take on behalf of the retail trade but you were telling us we had to just get on with it well for me as for you, I will be the best judge of what risks I am willing to take and a stroll around Asda's , top shop or BHS is not one of them at this time.

MVSmith

I went to Sainsbury's before closing time for the first time last Sunday and even though it was beautifully quiet I was so nervous. That's the first time I've been out since lockdown, I need to do more little trips as I'm quite an anxious person anyway.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At first, I was going to the supermarkets for the last hour or so before it closed as it was a lot quieter I assume and also no queing but for the last few weeks now I have managed to do my shopping online and then have it delivered to me - I think Morrisons have upped their online orders/delivery order slots. I will/only go to the shops if it is for something I really need as I am aware the virus is still out there and I do now feel nervous shopping.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand (but haven't tried it myself) Morrisons can now be accessed by Amazon. So with Prime you can order what you want and have it delivered same or next day without having to book a slot

D

Deleted member 308541

I / we have been out a couple of times that were not medically related, to grab some extra food and get some cash dollar out of a ATM.

As for food shopping all our stuff is now got online, or over the phone for delivery, Our pharmacy needs are done online, but our debit card details are done over the phone just before delivery.

We do miss the hustle and bustle of shopping at the Sunday farmers markets tho'...

Tannith

BANNED
I shan't be going to any shops til the pandemic is over. You can get almost everything online now. As for going to a pub or restaurant I can't see why ANY sane person would ever do that again! Chefs are forever dipping their hands in the food and using their hands to arrange it prettily on the plate. Alcohol and social distancing don't mix. You can have a meal and a drink at home and far more cheaply, or take sandwiches to work to avoid the sandwich shop/canteen.When I was a child, most families, mine included, took our own sandwiches and a thermos of tea on a day out to the seaside or wherever.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I shan't be going to any shops til the pandemic is over. You can get almost everything online now. As for going to a pub or restaurant I can't see why ANY sane person would ever do that again! Chefs are forever dipping their hands in the food and using their hands to arrange it prettily on the plate. Alcohol and social distancing don't mix. You can have a meal and a drink at home and far more cheaply, or take sandwiches to work to avoid the sandwich shop/canteen.When I was a child, most families, mine included, took our own sandwiches and a thermos of tea on a day out to the seaside or wherever.[/QUOTE
I would just say that exposure to germs etc via human contact is what makes us stronger. If we are so frail that we cannot tolerate any infection then it isn't just Corona virus that will get us!
A really useful way forward rather than creating a sanitised bubble would be to think what can I do to make my own metabolism stronger? To this end NOT going out may help but not to worry because if we all stay in only the very expensive places will be open in any case.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shan't be going to any shops til the pandemic is over. You can get almost everything online now. As for going to a pub or restaurant I can't see why ANY sane person would ever do that again! Chefs are forever dipping their hands in the food and using their hands to arrange it prettily on the plate. Alcohol and social distancing don't mix. You can have a meal and a drink at home and far more cheaply, or take sandwiches to work to avoid the sandwich shop/canteen.When I was a child, most families, mine included, took our own sandwiches and a thermos of tea on a day out to the seaside or wherever.
If it wasn't for the virus I would be on holiday in Provence at the moment sampling the local food and wine. I don't think some homemade sandwiches and a Thermos would be quite the same.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is one place I would not go as long as this virus is around, and that is on a plane. They are full of germs without the virus hanging about. The air conditioning is a joke - it is just recycled air going round and round the cabin. It only takes one person on that plane to be positive and bingo, everyone potentially has it.

I've been to Home Base again today. No issues at all. One in one out system, trolleys sprayed before each use, one way systems down the aisles, very few people inside. I haven't been in any non-essential shops that have just opened and wouldn't dream of going inside a pub when they open. I do have a hair appointment booked for 16th July but am waiting to see what their arrangements are before I go. We also have a UK cottage holiday booked for 1st August, another in September, another in October, and lastly one in November. Again, it is wait and see.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is one place I would not go as long as this virus is around, and that is on a plane. They are full of germs without the virus hanging about. The air conditioning is a joke - it is just recycled air going round and round the cabin. It only takes one person on that plane to be positive and bingo, everyone potentially has it.

I've been to Home Base again today. No issues at all. One in one out system, trolleys sprayed before each use, one way systems down the aisles, very few people inside. I haven't been in any non-essential shops that have just opened and wouldn't dream of going inside a pub when they open. I do have a hair appointment booked for 16th July but am waiting to see what their arrangements are before I go. We also have a UK cottage holiday booked for 1st August, another in September, another in October, and lastly one in November. Again, it is wait and see.
I won't be going on any planes either but the air conditioning is not as bad as you imagine.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/air-quality-during-your-flight-54164

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
I would just say that exposure to germs etc via human contact is what makes us stronger. If we are so frail that we cannot tolerate any infection then it isn't just Corona virus that will get us!
A really useful way forward rather than creating a sanitised bubble would be to think what can I do to make my own metabolism stronger? To this end NOT going out may help but not to worry because if we all stay in only the very expensive places will be open in any case."

@NicoleC1971

Yes what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so why bother with antibiotics and vaccines oh yes because before their advent just about any little infection could kill you and often did.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss going out for a meal and am looking forward to the day that I can.

Jamie H

One of the latest victims of this virus was a 13 day old baby relatively youthfulness and fitness is not necessarily protective always but it is up to you what risk you are willing to take on behalf of the retail trade but you were telling us we had to just get on with it well for me as for you, I will be the best judge of what risks I am willing to take and a stroll around Asda's , top shop or BHS is not one of them at this time.
I think Nicole was stating everyone's risk is different. She views hers as a bit lower than her dad's. I don't think she told anyone what to do or what risks to take. All any of us can do (including those without any pre existing conditions) is weigh up the risk... Unfortunately we can't weigh up the outcome... It's been identified the risk to those with diabetes varies a lot dependant on a lot of factors.. It will never be zero for anybody. Of course there will be contradictions and anomalies. The tragedy of a 13 day old baby is a reminder to us all of that