1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone been shopping yet?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by notafanofsugar, Jun 16, 2020.

1. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone been brave/foolish (delete as appropriate!) to venture out shopping yet? How was it? I didn’t go today but saw the news just now and the queues look horrendous! Happy to stick with click and collect for now!!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Not me and shan't be for some time yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I will go shopping if it’s for something I need that I’d be wary of buying online without trying, or for essentials but in terms of risk, I think it depends where and when you go.

I wasn’t intending to go yesterday, but happened to be passing the 02 in London around 3pm yesterday afternoon. Some of the outlet shops there had re-opened so I went in (more in hope of finding a loo than anything else). Very few people there, very easy to maintain social distance. But then in the absence of a show or some other event at the main arena, those shops are not normally busy. Suspect it’d be very different at a ‘normal’ mall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not me! I have just started going out cycling and that me dipping the proverbial toe in the water.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I wear a mask, and I bring along a bottle of hand sanitizer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Went out yesterday to the motorbike showroom and bought the first item they had sold since lockdown!

Glad to see no masks, no "sanitiser", friendly staff and a half price jacket..

Couple of people in the adjacent car showroom too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Apart from a car showroom the other day that is no town centre shopping though.

8. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not me, but then I rarely went out shopping anyway, I always find town centres too busy normally and just don't like going out shopping at the best of times - whilst I did normally go to the supermarket every week I'm continuing doing that online for the moment (even though it is making it more expensive - I never used to spend as much as the minimum amount for a delivery/click and collect)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Just popped down to B&Q to get a new gas tank for the BBQ... crazy.. arrows all over the floor which everyone was ignoring and a completely stupid queueing system with only 2 tills open about 8 staff hanging around doing nothing by the click and collect area..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Have been shopping at my local mini market all through the lockdown, cos I can't get a delivery around here, too busy on all sites. The system for those who have nobody to get their shop is much in evidence and as usual I don't qualify for it, despite the wife and FIL!
    I have been going first thing in the morning, to avoid the crowds.

I did go once to the huge asda in town because they have the wife's treat and I thought it would be okay!
    I walked out after five minutes because of the numbers in the shop, it was ridiculous, so many people, no staff to stop the rush, not enough staff at the tills, couldn't get to the fridges, freezers. My anxiety levels went through the roof!

I'm convinced that this is because of how the government handled lockdown and the Cummings effect!

I will not be going clothes shopping any time soon or going to any shop to be stuck queuing for ever! I do really hate shopping!

Since then I have found that I can get a delivery if necessary, but because of my circumstances, I can't! (Job!)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

In the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been to a garden centre 3 times, Boots once, supermarket twice, and Home Base once. Granted I live in a small town, but I was delighted with all the arrangements that were in place. One in one out systems, one way markers on the floors, trolleys sprayed between each customer, hand sanitisers available, masks not compulsory, shops all seemed to have more staff than shoppers. I have no inclination to go town centre shopping just because I can. Currently there is nothing I need and I never have been a window shopper/browser.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Apart from the weekly supermarket shop I’ve been to 2 garden centres, aquarium shop and B&Q.

13. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I go twice a week to the grocery store and been to the garden Center multiple times.
    We have one of the best rates of testing in the world in this province and great contact tracing.
    So not too concerned. I’ve never been one to hug random strangers so that hasn’t changed and have always washed my hands when I come home.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Or is that "brave/foolish/cautious"? I'm lucky in that the pharmacist I go to has a side window where I can queue in the open if necessary and if there is a queue 2m distance is well adhered to. The butcher will take orders and payment by phone and leave my order by his back door when I say I'm going to collect (he waits until he sees the car). The good old co-op is still putting my shopping together and volunteers are delivering although when that finishes I can go to the back of the co-op to pick my stuff up.

15. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Mere click and collect and other online shopping for me. Got a car service due but have arranged to drop keys through letterbox and have them left on the tyre upon collection, and will rather take the 2 mile walk to and fro rather than take the option of the hire car, although I might regret that if it rains! Don't need a new dress so steering clear of Primark!! :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Every week , since lockdown started! - Supermarket habits have changed slightly, trying to do everything in one, once a week instead of "popping" in to various different ones, chemist once a month, B&Q once (to keep my over 70 parents out)

17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve been avoiding shops for years! Would much rather pay the P&P on internet shopping. But then there are other factors in play that pre-date covid by years. Small town, limited shops, bad parking, reduced mobility and annoying other people to name a few.

I've been happy to comply with Lockdown and social distancing, and have little patience for those who aren’t.

May hit a garden centre this week though, out of curiosity, since I am on annual leave this week.
    Been going out dog walking regularly, just not shopping.

Am fascinated to see the news stories on crowding and out of town shopping centres heaving like ant hills. Especially when you see what people are buying as their first priority purchases.
    No thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  18. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Looks like the guy who brings our shopping each week has someone he helps now going to supermarket again!
    I think he expects we should do all our shopping now.
    At over 80 with multiple health issues, I am not too happy with me going to supermarket here with an R rate about 1.

I will have to take better half and stay outside, but do all the heavy lifting, which is ok.
    regards
    D.

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I have been to a couple of shops and a couple of garden centres - each time wearing a mask, hand sanitizer ready in pocket and trolleys sanitized by the staff on entering. Most shops have hand sanitizer stations but in M&S a member of staff in full face visor, mask, overall and gloves was dispensing the sanitizer while standing next to her was a supervisor with no protective equipment at all. :meh:

In this area all shops seem to have a one out / one in policy which is strictly enforced and directional arrows on the floor which took s bit of getting used to (especially in the garden centres). Not too many people apart from us were wearing masks locally but this definitely changes from town to town.

20. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook