Anyone been shopping yet?

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone been brave/foolish (delete as appropriate!) to venture out shopping yet? How was it? I didn’t go today but saw the news just now and the queues look horrendous! Happy to stick with click and collect for now!!
My husband of retirement age and over weight, my daughter working so despite me having type one i have been doing the shopping it took six weeks before we could even get an online shop and once every couple of weeks they inform us they have a space available so needs must all though I am lucky to have a aldi ten mins walk from house soI have not been to any big supermarkets and as for the local town centre not a chance

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband of retirement age and over weight, my daughter working so despite me having type one i have been doing the shopping
I am still food shopping despite having several risk factors. I find that if I hit the supermarkets in town by about 8.30am they are almost empty. I suspect town centre supermarkets without free parking are much quieter than the out of town ones.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been out shopping since March. I have walked the dog but not come into contact
with anyone. Have to be careful with my health. I am going out this Thursday
for the first time with my hubby shopping, I can’t wait, but I am scared too.
I have my mask ready and my gloves ready.

AB167

I have been shopping to a retail park and I wore my mask when entering shops but not whilst walking around. Most people were being thoughtful apart from when we were in a shop where there is not a great deal of space in isles. A man was pushing an elderly lady in a wheelchair, no masks on either of them, not giving a hoot about social distancing. When he saw me and my husband, who were both wearing a mask, step back from him he blatantly moved backwards towards us. We then left the shop after this. You would have thought he would have had the elderly lady wear a face mask as she looked over 70 and must have been in the vulnerable category. Some people have no consideration for others.

That's bad for the elderly not wearing 1

I'm type 2 I have mild copd and mild asthma I'm dreading going to a supermarket I do all of mine online
I have bought a selection of face masks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Walked to the park yesterday not many people about was sat on a bench relaxing had dropped the mask for a while as was totally on my own when a lady walking her dog approached I replaced my mask when she was at a distance when she passed by me she thanked me, she herself was not wearing a mask this is not the first time I have been thanked for wearing a mask by persons who are not, a little ironic thinks I.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve been to two pharmacies and a garden centre since lockdown began and wore a mask and eye covering each time.
We’re spending more online now that we can book delivery slots than we used to spend when I shopped selectively at various outlets, or when our neighbour did our shopping. But I’ve not filled up the car since just before lockdown.
It was great when delivery slots were finally available as we could give our neighbour a break, and great when our daughter, who’s been teaching key worker children, believed she was no longer such a transmission hazard and also shopped for us. Unlike our GP neighbour she had no protection from PPE.
I do miss being able to see what’s available and to choose by sight and touch rather than look at images and read ingredient and nutrition information.
We’re both 70+ and I’ve had T1 for fifty years; we don’t know if we’d survive COVID or not, but without our asking, our GP neighbour offered to shop for us as soon as lockdown was declared - she’d seen stats and other information we didn’t have access to.

Max68

Had a really uncomfortable experience this morning when picking my car up from having some major works done. Had to pay in a small office and had to put my pin number in the keypad which due to wanting to get out as quickly as possible because they guy coughed I didn't realise I needed to press "enter" first and nearly paid £800,000 for car repairs!! :wideyed: Thankfully wasn't in there for long!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to Argos for the first time in ages.. ordered and paid online.
The new process, arrows on the floor, helpful staff to point out the route to take and speed of service were great.. much better than the old way.
And best of all not a mask in sight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you a no mask person? If told to wear one while out and about, would you?

Out and about no.. not if "outside out".

I also try to avoid public transport at all costs.

If I am forced to wear one to go into the butcher or supermarket then I guess I will have to.. although it seems that many supermarkets are saying that they will not enforce.

Looking at the infection rates of supermarket workers it seems that transmission there is hardly any higher than in the general population so the masking move would appear to be unscientific whatever our fearsome leader may say.

As I tend to have a list and get through pretty quickly then I don't fear exposure and being a grumpy old git my interactions with other customers are minimal so even if I were infected and asymptomatic then chances of me giving it away are infinitesimal. In Waitrose the checkout staff are all behind screens anyway.

Also of course living in sunny West Sussex where of the 860,000 population there have only been about 2,700 infections I'd have to go some to actually find anybody who has it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I live in a small area with a population of about 8,000 within that area I knew at least 5 people who died with covid 19 .

I think that wearing a mask can be compared with wearing a helmet and protective clothing while riding a motor bike useless till that one time they may save your life.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in a small area with a population of about 8,000 within that area I knew at least 5 people who died with covid 19 .

I think that wearing a mask can be compared with wearing a helmet and protective clothing while riding a motor bike useless till that one time they may save your life.
I believe masks are still considered more effective to protect others from the wearer rather than to protect the wearer from others.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see why that would make you nervous. To balance that, I don't know, or know of, anyone who has been infected let alone died. My area, Windsor and Maidenhead, has a population of 150,000 and there has been 1 additional case confirmed in the last reported week. However, as I am retired and isolating is only a slight inconvenience, I am continuing with it just to be on the safe side for the time being.

Max68

Had to go to my mums old house today to shift things around for viewing and required help so went with my bother in law and sister so fingers crossed they haven't got the lurgy! Can anyone suggest a good mask though for glasses and hearing aid wearers as this NHS style mask was a nightmare steaming up my glasses up big time and my hearing aid kept falling out? Was like something out of a Laurel and Hardy movie!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the hairdressers today. I was told to wait outside for her to meet me, which she did. I was wearing a mask. She gave me a disposable bin bag to put my handbag and jacket in, took my temperature, told me to use the sanitiser on my hands, sat me down and put a disposable apron on me. There were 4 of us in the reasonably sized salon. Me and her, and another hairdresser with customer. The other 2 were at the opposite end of the salon. She washed my hair then moved me to her own work area, and immediately sprayed the chair and sink where she had done the hair washing. She was wearing a waterproof apron of some sort and a plastic mask. After she had finished she sprayed my chair and surrounding area, and swept up the hair from the floor. Both front and side doors were open with a chain across both to stop people wandering in. All very well organised.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to go to my mums old house today to shift things around for viewing and required help so went with my bother in law and sister so fingers crossed they haven't got the lurgy! Can anyone suggest a good mask though for glasses and hearing aid wearers as this NHS style mask was a nightmare steaming up my glasses up big time and my hearing aid kept falling out? Was like something out of a Laurel and Hardy movie!!

I have the same problem with my glasses steaming up. I find it best to wear my specs a bit further down my nose and over the top of the mask, but then I can't see the floor when I look down as the mask is in the way, which makes it difficult going up and down steps.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem with my glasses steaming up. I find it best to wear my specs a bit further down my nose and over the top of the mask, but then I can't see the floor when I look down as the mask is in the way, which makes it difficult going up and down steps.

The way to deal with that fogging issue is to ensure your glasses are on the outside of the mask, and crimp the shaping strip well onto your nose.

If that isn't enough, the you can fold a piece of tissue and put it along the top line of the mask. When you put the mask on the tissue will be between face and mask, the of course, crimp to metal strip to the form of your nose.

I'm not a hearing aid wearer, but provided you apply the mask carefully, I can't quite see what the issue is. Perhaps just ensure when you put on the mask that you put that ear loop on first?

Alternatively, you could use a mask with ties, rather than elastic. In that case, the tied loops would be around the base of your skull/very to of your neck, and near the widest part of your head towards the crown. Elastic loops could also be fashioned to work in the same way, if you are making your own masks.

Tannith

BANNED
The ONS says daily cases have risen from an estimated 2,800 to 4,200 since last week.

However there is not enough data to suggest a higher proportion of positive tests in any particular region.
  • The ONS's estimates of daily cases are higher than those reported by the Department of Health and Social Care because they include people without symptoms who would not otherwise have applied for a test.
Confirmed cases reported by the government for the same period were between 339 and 721 daily over the same period (20- 26 July).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53609354