Adjusting carb ratio

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this last couple of weeks started eating better and have noticed every evening I hypo. I have my dinner at 6pm and will go low around 730/8ish then if I snack around 9pm I'll go low again around 11pm.

I'm not sure if I need to adjust my carb ratio or my basal rate? It does seem to happen regardless of whether I snack or not which would make me think it's a basal issue.

I also think I'm confused as to the rates...my dsn told me the higher the number the less the amount of insulin. But that really doesnt make sense to me so I could have misinterpreted what she said.

If I am going to adjust my current 5PM-12mn carb ratio which is set at 7.5 am I correct in thinking I need to increase rather than decrease this? I was going to try 7.8?

Or should it be my basal rate I change? My 7PM-12mn is currently 0.850 so to reduce the insulin I would change it to 0.875?

I understand no one can advise me precisely but my dsn is very hard to get hold of so I'd like to try myself. A bit of guidance if I'm on the right path or correction if I'm totally wrong would be very much appreciated!

Tia

Last edited:
Reactions: Deia

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
If you want less bolus insulin then you would need to increase your carb ration. If you want less basal then you would need to decrease your basal settings. The basal settings is for the insulin given whereas a carb ratio is what insulin is required per gram of carm consumed. Hope that makes sense :)

Reactions: sjm1308

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
To add have you tried skipping your evening meal to make sure your basal settings are correct? Just a thought

Reactions: sjm1308

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want less bolus insulin then you would need to increase your carb ration. If you want less basal then you would need to decrease your basal settings. The basal settings is for the insulin given whereas a carb ratio is what insulin is required per gram of carm consumed. Hope that makes sense :)
Ah thank you! That makes sense I don't know what I was thinking lol

Sadjers

I have this last couple of weeks started eating better and have noticed every evening I hypo. I have my dinner at 6pm and will go low around 730/8ish then if I snack around 9pm I'll go low again around 11pm.

I'm not sure if I need to adjust my carb ratio or my basal rate? It does seem to happen regardless of whether I snack or not which would make me think it's a basal issue.

I also think I'm confused as to the rates...my dsn told me the higher the number the less the amount of insulin. But that really doesnt make sense to me so I could have misinterpreted what she said.

If I am going to adjust my current 5PM-12mn carb ratio which is set at 7.5 am I correct in thinking I need to increase rather than decrease this? I was going to try 7.8?

Or should it be my basal rate I change? My 7PM-12mn is currently 0.850 so to reduce the insulin I would change it to 0.875?

I understand no one can advise me precisely but my dsn is very hard to get hold of so I'd like to try myself. A bit of guidance if I'm on the right path or correction if I'm totally wrong would be very much appreciated!

Tia
I often had a similar problem. I now frequently split the evening basal into two. 50% before meal and 50% an hour after, sometimes 2hrs after. The DAFNE course taught me this and it's to do with the fat content of the meal.
Note that fat, ratios and timings are optional and it takes time to learn how best to adjust. Google DAFNE. Good luck.