scared to take insuli

hello ive recently come off novomix 30 and now on the carb counting plan which uses novo rapid with meals and carbs need to be counted to your inslin and then the isulin to carbs ratio , the i have to take levemir at night a long slow acting insulin it come to the point as sonn as my sugars start falling im havin anxiouty attacks fear of hypos and going unconscious, i live alone with my babygirl sh tzu ***** who's a diamond of a dog Nd love to bits. I'm constantly worried so I'd thought id join was of these forums hoping to speak to people in same situation with this horrible disease , please any takers for comments would be a help . thanks peeps
20200405_162548.jpg

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Lee and welcome to the forums.

We all had to start somewhere and the fear of hypos is a very real thing for some people.

But sorry if I am not understanding the situation, are you saying that you didn't have the fear on Novomix and it's only since you started multiple daily injections?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
That's one cute puppy. You've already been on Novomix - so you've already made the transition to insulin. You'll find it easier on your MDI routine as it will be a closer match to what you eat, and you will find better control, which should make you worry less. The new insulins you're on are safer.

Reactions: lee powazynski

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We all feel anxious about hypos and it is a much more pressing fear than that of going hyper and having complications in the far off future. Hypos are unpleasant and tend to induce fear and panic both at the time and then in anticipation of any future experiences.
You have bravely accepted that you are diabetic and need insulin and hopefully your new regime will help build your confidence to take the right amounts of insulin but also to know that you will not always get it right yet can still take precautions to counteract an excess dose eg. always having some glucose/sweets etc. on hand and being cautious with dosing.
Getting your basal right is extremely important so it is worth noting how a day and night goes where you test every four hours so that you know that you are unlikely to go hypo at scary times such as middle of the night or when alone with your lovely daughter and cute dog.
If you are not getting good warning signals when you go low then talk to your doctor about getting a pump.

Reactions: lee powazynski
Hi Lee and welcome to the forums.

We all had to start somewhere and the fear of hypos is a very real thing for some people.

But sorry if I am not understanding the situation, are you saying that you didn't have the fear on Novomix and it's only since you started multiple daily injections?
yes novomux 30 brought me down gradually this rapid is new example I woke at 4am this at 4mmol was lucky to wake

We all feel anxious about hypos and it is a much more pressing fear than that of going hyper and having complications in the far off future. Hypos are unpleasant and tend to induce fear and panic both at the time and then in anticipation of any future experiences.
You have bravely accepted that you are diabetic and need insulin and hopefully your new regime will help build your confidence to take the right amounts of insulin but also to know that you will not always get it right yet can still take precautions to counteract an excess dose eg. always having some glucose/sweets etc. on hand and being cautious with dosing.
Getting your basal right is extremely important so it is worth noting how a day and night goes where you test every four hours so that you know that you are unlikely to go hypo at scary times such as middle of the night or when alone with your lovely daughter and cute dog.
If you are not getting good warning signals when you go low then talk to your doctor about getting a pump.
thank u thats a help

That's one cute puppy. You've already been on Novomix - so you've already made the transition to insulin. You'll find it easier on your MDI routine as it will be a closer match to what you eat, and you will find better control, which should make you worry less. The new insulins you're on are safer.
yes my nurse said it was safer novomix 30 just wasn't good with my life style and the way I eat , I don't always fancy a dinner or tea i tend to eat wen im hungry but I have started to cut a lot of carbs out my diet not all of course thanks for the comments its a real help

Ceebee2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_5187.jpg

Didn’t notice if you are type 1 or 2
I am type 2 and changed from novomix30 to Basal/Bolus regime as I found the 30% to 70% mixture did not work for me as I needed more long acting which meant I was getting too much fast acting and constantly going low before my next meal.
I found the adaptability of Base and bolus much better as once you get the base right you can match the bolus to your meals. I don’t actually carb count for my rapid but eat more or less the same for each meal and try to keep daily carbs around 100g. I might adjust up or down 1 or 2 units depending on my pre meal b/s level or if I am having a slightly higher carb intake than normal. I know this is probably not good if type 1 but works ok for me. Hbaic around 5.9 to 6.5 the last few times.
Your doggie might help in detect if you go very low. They are cleverer than you might think

Reactions: Sue61
View attachment 42521
Didn’t notice if you are type 1 or 2
I am type 2 and changed from novomix30 to Basal/Bolus regime as I found the 30% to 70% mixture did not work for me as I needed more long acting which meant I was getting too much fast acting and constantly going low before my next meal.
I found the adaptability of Base and bolus much better as once you get the base right you can match the bolus to your meals. I don’t actually carb count for my rapid but eat more or less the same for each meal and try to keep daily carbs around 100g. I might adjust up or down 1 or 2 units depending on my pre meal b/s level or if I am having a slightly higher carb intake than normal. I know this is probably not good if type 1 but works ok for me. Hbaic around 5.9 to 6.5 the last few times.
Your doggie might help in detect if you go very low. They are cleverer than you might think
type 1 ive noticed wen ive been stressed or stressing my sugar levels spike then come down wen calmed down ibmve only just been on novo rapid this last 4 days and the fact its brings my levels down quick scares me as I'm not used to it . but wat I can say is ive been under 20. for the 1st time in 4 days for a long time I used to treat my diabetes as if it wasn't there but ive come to turns with it the fact ive kept a level even tho its high but low as I was running at 25 up down gives me hope that wen i get to my target ill be able to keep it there , thank u for your feed back .