Sugars constantly creeping up

Cas194

Hello, I'm type one Diabetic and 18 weeks pregnant. I've had great control of my sugar levels, until this weekend. I am struggling to get my sugar levels down because every adjustment it do just stops it going high fast..... I had to use 7 units over 3 hours to get my sugars down to 7.8 mmol.. They were high at about 10 (I know that's not crazy high but it's not good when your pregnant) and even when I got them down it went back up with in 20 minutes to 9 and that took another 3 units to get them down and then I had to fight with my sugars all night. Its been like this and getting worse day by day.

Usually they start creeping up at 9 and it's been okay but since the weekend they have been creeping up earlier and earlier today they started going up at 1pm and it will continue all afternoon and night.

I haven't been able to get hold of my diabetic team but my main nurse is back in the office tomorrow....i just wanted to see if anyone else has had stressful high sugars and can just make me feel less like im alone struggling you know?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's normal to need more insulin as a pregnancy progresses, but some other possibilities you might want to consider are
1) has your insulin gone off in the heat (if you are using a pen then check it is working correctly)
2) you are coming down with an illness
3) you are injecting in an overused site

Good luck and try not to panic.

Oh, and if you cannot get through to your clinic there is this?

NHS helpline for adults who use insulin: call 0345 123 2399 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm)

Reactions: Cas194 and UK T1

Melissa349

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's normal to need more insulin as a pregnancy progresses, but some other possibilities you might want to consider are
1) has your insulin gone off in the heat (if you are using a pen then check it is working correctly)
2) you are coming down with an illness
3) you are injecting in an overused site

Good luck and try not to panic.

Oh, and if you cannot get through to your clinic there is this?

NHS helpline for adults who use insulin: call 0345 123 2399 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm)

hi just wondered how would you know if insulin has gone off and if the place you inject is over used?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
hi just wondered how would you know if insulin has gone off and if the place you inject is over used?

Change the insulin cartridge in your pen and inject somewhere else...