Facing The Dreadful Facts....

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear All
I was on here earlier this week moaning about my negative experience with Metformin.

I had my bloods done yesterday and was told the doc would phone in a week with the results.

When I saw the number flash up on my phone I knew it wasn’t good....so here’s goes

I last had my BG done in Feb it came back a staggering 84!

My GP advised I start Metformin - 500mg once a day.

I tried to reduce the figures without it, but ended up caving in and starting the tablets.

Unfortunately they are having an awful effect on my stomach and despite switching to the SR formulation, I’m going to have to stop them.

Anyway, on to the results and they’re not pretty.

ac1 down to 52 which is an improvement, trust me it gets worse from here on in.
They also ran a cholesterol check - overall 7.1!!
The breakdown, I only held it together long enough to ask
Tri - 2.7
HDL - 1.2
LDL - 4.7

They want me to start Statins, which I really don’t want to do.

When pressed as to why I didn’t want to take pills, I blurted out that I feel they have a reverse psychology on me - in that I’m left taking all this medication (I’m on BP meds too) so let’s just batter in and eat whatever I like.

She actually got it, and said that it made sense to hear it like that, but if that’s the case, what am I going to do about it as looking at the whole picture things aren’t good.

I’m obese, inactive & lazy, have high BP, high cholesterol and T2 - apart from that I’m fine...

Tell me honestly, is it possible to deal with this with diet and lifestyle changes, no further meds?

Am I setting myself up to fail.

Of course the whole Covid thing has only reinforced my very real fears.

Please go easy on me, I’ve had my bubble and “poor me” moment, now I need to woman up and deal with it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear All
I was on here earlier this week moaning about my negative experience with Metformin.

I had my bloods done yesterday and was told the doc would phone in a week with the results.

When I saw the number flash up on my phone I knew it wasn’t good....so here’s goes

I tried to reduce the figures without it, but ended up caving in and starting the tablets.

Unfortunately they are having an awful effect on my stomach and despite switching to the SR formulation, I’m going to have to stop them.

Tri - 2.7
HDL - 1.2
LDL - 4.7

When pressed as to why I didn’t want to take pills, I blurted out that I feel they have a reverse psychology on me - in that I’m left taking all this medication (I’m on BP meds too) so let’s just batter in and eat whatever I like.

She actually got it, and said that it made sense to hear it like that, but if that’s the case, what am I going to do about it as looking at the whole picture things aren’t good.

I’m obese, inactive & lazy, have high BP, high cholesterol and T2 - apart from that I’m fine...

Tell me honestly, is it possible to deal with this with diet and lifestyle changes, no further meds?

Please go easy on me, I’ve had my bubble and “poor me” moment, now I need to woman up and deal with it.

Hi there, I think the answer is a resounding YES, it IS possible to deal with all of those issues with diet & lifestyle changes and even if you don't 'cure' them you can improve them. You will find numerous examples of it on this site. It sounds easy I know but it does require that horrible word 'willpower' which is hard as we are not all robots, only human beings. There is no easy answer though so if I were you I would start with the correct diet for you and your type 2 and take it one step at a time instead of overhauling your entire life immediately and rushing out to do ten mile runs every day. x

Reactions: JMK1954

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear All

Tri - 2.7
HDL - 1.2
LDL - 4.7

Time to get serious about your diet then. Because yes, it can be done, and without the dreaded metformin. There are other medications you could try (gliclazide being one of them, though in the long term... Not the best thing for your pancreas). You decide what'll work for you. You're not setting yourself up for failure, you're just still trying to find your way, which is completely natural. It takes time to figure out what works for you, after all.

If you want to give diet another go.... I'd say, you'd have an excellent chance of getting your HbA1c even lower. Have a little faith in yourself. And one more thing... Are you truly lazy? Or are you just too tired all the time due to high-ish blood sugars? Something to ponder.

Less kicking your own *** and more hope. You can do this. In whatever way shape or form suits you.
Hugs,
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You sound like me

I was morbidly obese, sleep apnea, hypertension, acid reflux and weighing in at 23 stone.
HbA1c at 87 mmol/m

Cut out almost all carbohydrate and stopped eating breakfast.
Now weigh in at 14 st 6 normal blood pressure, no more acid reflux or sleep apnea. Last HbA1c 26.8 mmol/m

As for cholesterol levels they'll be all over the place whilst you losing weight and getting blood sugars lower so forget them for 6 months until you get your blood sugar under control. I would definitely say no to statins and watch out for BP going lower too with low carb so you might want to ask about coming off the BP meds too after a while.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have suggested, yes it is possible. It's not easy and does take some concentrated effort.
The "inactive and lazy" could be an issue.
I found walking, not much at the start, with a routine and changing my diet.. a lot, helped the weight and from then on it sort of formed a loop.... walking became easier, eating routine, BG's and general well being picked up.
I found the forum a good place to check in, just to say stuff and didn't worry if it generate any responses, it was more me telling myself and seeing it written down, if that makes sense. A number of folk did report back and the feedback was always supportive.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also perhaps be kind to yourself too, which is not the same as 'failing'! :)
As others have said yes it is all possible with diet (hopefully, everyone is different). It's easy and also not so easy. Two days low carb no problem. Pick your favourite no carb foods and eat. After that it gets more challenging because then it's about changing, habits, beliefs, understanding ....
It is possible (and sustainable) to eat low carb and not feel hungry and lose weight. I know because I've done it (am doing it) and so are others. But it's a steep learning curve and you have to be prepared to try and fail and simply hate some new experiments :) get discouraged, frustrated and lost.
But on the positive, you will lose weight and it will stay lost (oh joy joy). If you are even luckier (like me) you will feel better all round, goodbye acid reflux and aches in legs and continuous exhaustion.
Also HbA1c down to 52 from 84 - result!

Reactions: HSSS and Perminder1

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear All

Tri - 2.7
HDL - 1.2
LDL - 4.7

Welcome @ MissPooh You have made the 1st steps to try to get this under control - well done! and from what I can see you are going in the right direction - I was similar to you 3 years ago, I had a HbA1c of 86 on diagnosis. Three months later I had it down to around 45, six months later down to 39, next 37 and have been in remission for the last couple of years. Basically lowering my carbs dramatically - I did it on my own - but Jo's nutritional thingy is excellent for anyone starting now - basically if you follow that I would imagine the blood sugars,weight and cholesterol would fall down in the right direction (it did in my experience). I think I was heavier than you at my heaviest which was over 14 stones. However, when diagnosed I was just under 12 stone and I think within the year I lost just under 3 stone. At the moment, I am just over 9 stone - I hope this gives you hope that it is possibly do-able - I am proof of that and others also on this site have achieved this. It is not easy at times but you have to change to progress and I also fit in a brisk daily walk which helps also (nothing too strenuous) but good for someone who used to park their car at the door entrance to shops rather than walk! Keeping asking the questions that's how we all learn and everyone here is very helpful and friendly. I wish you well on your new journey!

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so very much.
It’s been a “boot into touch” kinda day.
Don’t get me wrong the doctor was lovely, but she made it very clear what would happen if things don’t change and while I’m no spring chicken (I’ll be 56 this month) I like to think I have a good few years yet.
So I’m going to have to order some new supplies test strips and such, I might even treat myself to a new monitor and get with the programme :)

Reactions: RGJ1970

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t get me wrong the doctor was lovely, but she made it very clear what would happen if things don’t change and while I’m no spring chicken (I’ll be 56 this month) I like to think I have a good few years yet.
So I’m going to have to order some new supplies test strips and such, I might even treat myself to a new monitor and get with the programme :)
If you get a meter check out the price of strips.
I use the Tee2 from spirit healthcare which I have found to be both fairly accurate and cost effective.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I'm only a couple of years younger than you and yes it is absolutely possible to make a difference with just diet and exercise and of the two- diet is the thing.

I have gone very low carb and my blood sugars are now under control. I do some exercise but to be honest going low carb and not counting calories this has been the only time I have lost weight without rigorous exercise. I've lost over 30 kgs in less than 12 months. If I tried harder I think I could have lost more but I'm looking on this as my new way of ;life not a diet so I haven't counted calories at all- just carbs. I couldn't do any exercise for the first 2 or 3 months but still lost weight. I now do exercise but I'm not talking strenuous- hope to build up to that after ,losing g a few more kgs.

In relation to you cholesterol levels- mine have gone up buy I figured that I'm still losing weight and using fat for fuel so I'm just living with them at the moment. I am a carbolic so mentally this has been challenging for me so I'm not really focused on the cholesterol issues just yet- the time is coming but I still have lots of weight to lose and if I'm using fat then I expect it to be in my blood- no medical qualifications at all just what appears to make sense to my brain.

I'm not saying I have not found very low carb challenging but I can do- have been doing it for almost a year and am healthier for it.

Good luck.

Reactions: RGJ1970 and hankjam

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Settle yourself down with an hour and a cup of tea and listen to this podcast
http://lowcarbmd.com/episode-65-dr-rob-cywes
which explains a lot of why this not your fault, why statins arent necessary and cholesterol is important to life
It will also introduce the idea that this is way of eating for life, not a diet that will finish and allow a return to eating the wrong things.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you telephone Spirit Healthcare on 0800 881 5423 (and ask like I did recently) they will throw in the meter for free - the test strips are around £7.75 for 50 - very competitive and testing is a must - it's the only way you will know what food/s raise your blood sugar too much or not. Good luck!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say congratulations on that excellent reduction in your HbA1c. :)

I would also ask if you fasted for your blood test, and if so, for how long? If we don't fast before a blood test that includes cholesterol, the results can be affected, particularly the trigs and LDL, which in turn affect the total. Eating beforehand, especially anything fatty, will have affected your result. Just a thought.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say congratulations on that excellent reduction in your HbA1c. :)

I would also ask if you fasted for your blood test, and if so, for how long? If we don't fast before a blood test that includes cholesterol, the results can be affected, particularly the trigs and LDL, which in turn affect the total. Eating beforehand, especially anything fatty, will have affected your result. Just a thought.

No I didn’t fast before having my blood taken and that did cross my mind when I came home after the test had been done.
I had berries, natural Greek yoghurt and a teaspoon of soured cream for brekkie, so looking at it like that I guess that may well explain a notch or two on the fat results.

Reactions: RGJ1970

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I didn’t fast before having my blood taken and that did cross my mind when I came home after the test had been done.
I had berries, natural Greek yoghurt and a teaspoon of soured cream for brekkie, so looking at it like that I guess that may well explain a notch or two on the fat results.

Yes, more than likely it will. All that fat will have been sorted by your trigs who would have been swimming away madly in your blood stream.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I would agree my cholesterol test came back huge . Went from 6.1 to 8.6
In 6 months . But I reckon it was the bacon , eggs, and double cream coffee that morning that did it . Just didn’t think coz the doc says you don’t have to fast . But I’ll bet you should . Next one will be a 12 hr fast

Reactions: LaoDan

Droyston

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Hi MissPooh, it's a very personal issue. What works for some may not for others. I had a type 2 diagnosed and 250 BG. I also suffered from High Blood pressure and was overweight.

In my case, I quit alcohol completely, cut back drastically on carbs, eliminating sugar, started eating a lot of veggies and fish, and took up quick walking for 1 hour a day (great to have a dog).

My BG is now between 75 and 130, with no drug.

When I leave for my daily walk, my BG is at 130, when I come back it drops to under 100. The effect of exercise lasts the whole day, even when you eat your BG does not peak.

I feel much much better. My body is working, I am full of energy even though I eat little carbs.

In my experience, Metformin strips your blood of most vitamins especially B12. If you are on Metformin, I would highly recommend taking a daily 2500 mg dose.

I used to have an unhealthy lifestyle. By changing it I managed to get rid of a diabetes drug, Metformin, and a blood pressure pill. Both were known for inducing low B12 levels.

You asked if it works, Madam it certainly did for me, if you are tempted, it's a hard path but you get rewarded as you move down it.

Kind Regards

David

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MissPooh, it's a very personal issue. What works for some may not for others. I had a type 2 diagnosed and 250 BG. I also suffered from High Blood pressure and was overweight.

In my case, I quit alcohol completely, cut back drastically on carbs, eliminating sugar, started eating a lot of veggies and fish, and took up quick walking for 1 hour a day (great to have a dog).

My BG is now between 75 and 130, with no drug.

When I leave for my daily walk, my BG is at 130, when I come back it drops to under 100. The effect of exercise lasts the whole day, even when you eat your BG does not peak.

I feel much much better. My body is working, I am full of energy even though I eat little carbs.

In my experience, Metformin strips your blood of most vitamins especially B12. If you are on Metformin, I would highly recommend taking a daily 2500 mg dose.

I used to have an unhealthy lifestyle. By changing it I managed to get rid of a diabetes drug, Metformin, and a blood pressure pill. Both were known for inducing low B12 levels.

You asked if it works, Madam it certainly did for me, if you are tempted, it's a hard path but you get rewarded as you move down it.

Kind Regards

David

Hello there David.

Whilst I agree that long term use of metformin can lead to reduced levels of Vitamin B12, this doesn't happen to everyone, and I certainly am not aware that "....Metformin strips your blood of most vitamins ....". That for me is a statement too far.

@MissPooh - I don't know what sort of blood panels your GP runs, but personally, I like to have the nutrients - vitamins and minerals done at least once a year, just to ensure things are pretty much on track.

I have to say, I was aghast, when my thyroid was heading off the medical cliff, my Vit D levels went off a cliff, B12 went low. Obviously, I have taken steps to address these factors and continue to monitor periodically.

If your bloods don't cover Vit D, ferritin, folate, B12 and C-Reactive Protein, in your shoes, I'd ask for them to be done, as a benchmark for future reference.

Last edited: