Metformin smell

Dugbriz81

Hi - I have an embarrassing question. I have type 2 diabetes, well controlled now. I had been using regular metformin and extended release metformin, but what I’ve noticed with both is that when I sweat, I smell awful. I’ve read some people describe a “fishy” smell primarily with regular metformin. I don’t know if I’d call it fishy, but it’s gross, and I notice it just as much with extended release. It’s actually extremely embarrassing and others have commented on how I smell. It’s to the point where I don’t think I can take metformin anymore. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thank you

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I have an embarrassing question. I have type 2 diabetes, well controlled now. I had been using regular metformin and extended release metformin, but what I’ve noticed with both is that when I sweat, I smell awful. I’ve read some people describe a “fishy” smell primarily with regular metformin. I don’t know if I’d call it fishy, but it’s gross, and I notice it just as much with extended release. It’s actually extremely embarrassing and others have commented on how I smell. It’s to the point where I don’t think I can take metformin anymore. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thank you

I don't remember whether sweat was an issue for me back when I was on metformin, but I did have other side effects I remember all too vividly. It's listed in the leaflet though and if you google, a lot of other people mention it too. Side effects are the reason I started looking for alternatives, and I ended up changing my diet, getting my blood sugars in the normal range, and ditching all diabetes medication. I've been in the non-diabetic range ever since, going on almost 4 years now. So then the question becomes, would that be an option for you? As a diabetic, we cannot process carbs. Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. So... No carbs, no high blood sugars. (it really is that insanely simple.).
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this might help turn things around. Besides, Metformin doesn't really do all that much about your blood sugars.... It suppresses appetite, might make your insulin sensitivity a bit better, but mainly, it tells your liver not to dump too much glucose, primarily in the morning. It does nothing at all about what you ingest, and that's where the biggest spikes come from. So something to look into maybe.

Anyway, welcome, and hopefully your issues'll be solved soon!
Jo