Not sure what to do.

#Annie#

Hi, I live in Spain and is a type 2 diabetic have been since the age of 27 now 57 I'm on metformin 1000 twice a day and on Lantus to go to bed, since moving to Spain unable to tolerate it makes me very sick sometimes twice a day, on the normal metformin, they don't do the slow release here in Spain which I was on in England and had no problems with the doctor changed it to a lower dosage of Dianben 850 but it's still making me very sick not to sure what to do now any help would be grateful.
Has anyone else had this problem would love to hear your out come on this Thank you

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. There are people on the forum who don't take metformin because of the side effects.

Are you on medication for other issues?

Have you tried controlling T2 with diet? Many of us control it with low or zero carb.

What are you eating in a typical day?

Do you test with a meter at all?

#Annie#

Many thanks for answering my question,
I'm on blood pressure tablets, and I have a underactive thyroid, plus B12 injections and a water tablet. As for diet I try not to eat Carbs, i'm not a big eater. There is many a night that I have a hypo.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
they don't do the slow release here in Spain
Are you sure? It may be called XR (Extended Release) instead of SR (Slow Release) but I think it's available in Spain under the name Glucophage XR. I'm not sure if my information is up to date though.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us what you eat in a typical day please?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I live in Spain and is a type 2 diabetic have been since the age of 27 now 57 I'm on metformin 1000 twice a day and on Lantus to go to bed, since moving to Spain unable to tolerate it makes me very sick sometimes twice a day, on the normal metformin, they don't do the slow release here in Spain which I was on in England and had no problems with the doctor changed it to a lower dosage of Dianben 850 but it's still making me very sick not to sure what to do now any help would be grateful.
Has anyone else had this problem would love to hear your out come on this Thank you

Hi, my mum was on Metaformin and suffered for 15 years of stomach pains etc.
When she joined the health system in Spain she registered with her local doctor. She told him about her problems with Metaformin and he changed her straight away to a tablet called Trajenta (I think that’s how it’s spelt).
She has never looked back, no side effects, nothing.
I hope this helps.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 isn’t actually hypo, though it may feel it if you are used to being a fair bit higher. You say you hypo at night but only test morning and evening, do you test in addition to these times when you feel hypo? If not please do so and report back to your dr.

If you are also on lantus was the dose set before or after you started low carb? If it was before it may now be too much for you and in need of adjusting. Or possibly the timing of the dose changing to avoid the lowest readings being in the middle of the night. Again talk to your dr.