richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi all
I am a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I have a small allotment,and grow broad beans. I use only natural fertilizer. But I am struggling to find how many carbs in them. I have been eating them for a while now. Internet seems to give different values.
Thankyou all

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the McCance and Widdowson nutritional values tables fresh raw broad beans have 7.2g of carbs per 100g

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 18.47.39.png

Reactions: Rubyjewelz

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
According to the McCance and Widdowson nutritional values tables fresh raw broad beans have 7.2g of carbs per 100g

View attachment 42646
I did Keto for 2 years, it was my to go to , needed to bring BS down...It's great but hard work...also ihave given up meat...still in ketotis and feeling fine...finding my way around proteine the vegan meat way...x

Reactions: EggsEggsEggs

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
As a guesstimate I would say around 6g carb per 100g

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Thankyou all for your replies. They give me good guidelines. Some on web were quite high(perhaps they were coated ones).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all for your replies. They give me good guidelines. Some on web were quite high(perhaps they were coated ones).
You can buy dried broad bean snacks in many places.. other half likes them. As they are dried they will be far higher in carbs per gram than fresh.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's also worth being aware that the UK and the USA calculate carb values slightly differently - UK treats carbs and fibre separately, but in the USA fibre is included with (other) carbs and can be subtracted from total carbs giving "net carbs". So UK total carbs = USA net carbs, which is why if you check on the web you will see different values and so need to be aware of which version you are looking at.

ETA I like broad beans, but as a T2 I really only need to consider what my meter tells me that my post broad bean meal glucose levels are...