Dr Neil Barnard

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have watched a lot of videos from dr barnard, he says, type 2 diabetes is where you eat fat and cheese, and it gets into the liver cells so the insulin can't work no more, theres other dr who say different, I'm really confused because I know low carb high fat has worked for many ppl but this dr who is very popular is saying that animal meat and cheese are the cause of diabetes.. I'm not sure what everyone thinks of dr Barnard, I personally like Dr unwin
But let me know what you think please. I'm off to bed now so I will check back in the
morning.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I watched his video on YouTube, right after a ted talk on low carb lol. I had already brought my a1c from 9.4% to 5.2% via low carb, so I kinda glossed over it.

my take is, he may have some valid points, but It’s certainly not the only way..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These are his results from the trial he ran.
Look good to you? Not even pre -diabetes levels.

Screenshot 2020-02-20 at 19.16.22.png

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wouldn't bother wasting my time listening to people like Dr.Barnard....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These are his results from the trial he ran.
Look good to you? Not even pre -diabetes levels.

View attachment 42697
Proof of the pudding is in the (non-) eating. Note that the diet plan used does not halt the progression of rising bgl levels.

I have been using a Low Carb (ish) omnivore diet for 5 years now. My weight dropped immediately. and has remained static at around 62 kg which is one that I and my GP are both happy with. My blood sugars are pretty steady in the pre-diabetic range and I no longer get HbA1c tests. I am still diabetic but can follow a diet that I am happy with even after 5 years.

Note that Barnard does not seem to give any cholesterol results in his books.This forum has many. many examples of us improving our cholesterol and blood pressure results while following Low Carb omnivore diets.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have just watched Dr Unwin video and I'm liking his approach better, - I have started today on low carb, my numbers have stayed between 14-17, I still have fatigue and I can get really exhausted very quick, I hope that will go when my numbers get better-

Good choice, for me it took some time... it’s a process,
I lost a lot of water during the first couple weeks, so keep an eye on your electrolytes if this happens to you. I added a tad of iodized salt to my water jug. I also started exercising, maybe too much lol. I can feel my metabolism has increased, as well as blood flow. You can do it!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good choice, for me it took some time... it’s a process,
I lost a lot of water during the first couple weeks, so keep an eye on your electrolytes if this happens to you. I added a tad of iodized salt to my water jug. I also started exercising, maybe too much lol. I can feel my metabolism has increased, as well as blood flow. You can do it!

I know it’s early days I will keep at it for a month and if I see no difference will see what else I can do, I have had my vitD and b12 checked all normal, so I’m going to eat low carb and hope to see my numbers go to normal levels, although I’m staying in the 12-15 range but that’s still really bad I’m no longer going HI but I’d want to hopefully see lower numbers