Type 2 and statins

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This one of the reasons I worry about taking statins but my Doctor dismisses statins making blood sugars worse.
When I mentioned to my DN that there was a correlation between increased BS and statins she told me not to believe everything I read in the Daily Mail - her face was a picture when I told her it was from the drug companies own web site! I also had other side effects which was why I stopped taking them - with my GP’s consent.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't take control into account. Apparently it makes little difference. Diabetics are prone to Atherogenic Dyslipidemia. I'll try and find the reference later when I get a spare nanosecond.
Probably based on research where everyone was gradually getting sicker on meds and carbs though! Interested to see if that’s not the case

aard

This was my experience too. I went from 36 to 41. I lowered my carb intake further and have settled to around an average of 38. I'm only on 2.5mg but the reduction in cholesterol levels in my case seems worthwhile. All a juggling act. I'd rather not take them but so far the benefits outweigh the downside.

curious is the only benefits reduction in cholestrial levels?
part if my problem is reading up on the subject I yet to be convinced that high cholestrial levels are a problem or why statics.
I think ive seen a few lectures where they say the link is only statistical , and thats debateable. No actual reasoning behind why causes problems.

Also my family is I thonk genetically pre deposed towards diabetes. Every family member going back to great great grandparents and all uncles, aunts, cousins etc had diabetes. and yet most lived till their ninities. They also ate cakes etc and never suffered from diabetes complications like amputations and blindness.

Im not a fan of medication and prefer diet, exercise and listening to my body to know what shape I'm in.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my trigs are 4.1
hdl ratio 6.7
hdl 3.3
ldl .91
non hfl 5.19

22% chance of stroke, heart attack in next 10 yrs or to put it another way 80% chance of reaching 60.
Had you fasted before the blood was taken.. trigs look quite high.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've posted before regarding me and statins: I was obediently taking them for ages before i was diagnosed with T2 and in retrospect feel that they were one of the things that helped cause it. I eventually asked another GP in our practice who was for a short time my "diabetes support" and he agreed I could stop, and I almost immediately saw a drop in my glucose levels.

(Early on after diagnosis when I discovered that they could raise glucose levels, I mentioned to my DN that they could be implicated in diabetes, she told me - yes they were good for me!! o_O)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking about statins.... hear what this Cardiologist has say. Most of what he's saying is way above my understanding, but I got a big gist of it!