When to eat?

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am newly diagnosed T1 as of March 6 this year. I am struggling with extreme stress when I get to about 6 mmol even though I know this is the goal. I feel like I will drop any second and be unable to recover. I know this is mental, but I feel more comfortable at around 6.7. I am trying to feel ok when I’m below that and am looking for strategies so I don’t eat something to bump myself up to a slightly higher reading. Any ideas? Thank you!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I am struggling with extreme stress when I get to about 6 mmol even though I know this is the goal. I feel like I will drop any second and be unable to recover. I know this is mental, but I feel more comfortable at around 6.7. ...
It isn't mental. Your stress response was probably up-regulated when blood glucose was high before diagnosis. This is why you feel stressed when blood glucose is 6.0. It will take a while for the stress response to return to normal. 6.7 is a reasonable number. I would make it the target at this stage.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It isn't mental. Your stress response was probably up-regulated when blood glucose was high before diagnosis. This is why you feel stressed when blood glucose is 6.0. It will take a while for the stress response to return to normal. 6.7 is a reasonable number. I would make it the target at this stage.

Thank you. I am hopeful that I will soon come to a point where I do not feel fear when I’m where I’m supposed to be.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed T1 as of March 6 this year. I am struggling with extreme stress when I get to about 6 mmol even though I know this is the goal. I feel like I will drop any second and be unable to recover. I know this is mental, but I feel more comfortable at around 6.7. I am trying to feel ok when I’m below that and am looking for strategies so I don’t eat something to bump myself up to a slightly higher reading. Any ideas? Thank you!

Hi there JMcB - I hope these feeling pass as you become more familiar with your diabetes.

I just wanted to mention your post says you're T1, but your profile says T2. I assume the T2 is a mistake.

To change that, just go to your account, the Personal Details. You can change it from there.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there JMcB - I hope these feeling pass as you become more familiar with your diabetes.

I just wanted to mention your post says you're T1, but your profile says T2. I assume the T2 is a mistake.

To change that, just go to your account, the Personal Details. You can change it from there.

Thank you! I was misdiagnosed as T2 2 years ago but actually had LADA so am essentially T1 now. I will update my info.

Reactions: Brunneria

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hmmm. Not finding that option in my account. Will keep poking around but it’s not obvious.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm. Not finding that option in my account. Will keep poking around but it’s not obvious.

If you are using the App, you need to log in on your browser, but if you are struggling, I can sort it for you.

If you want me to do it, please confirm if you want to be classified as T1, or LADA. Your profile also says your treatment is diet, plus Metformin. That's obviously not right either, so that needs to change.

If you want that changed, it's in the same place as Diabetes Type, but again, if you want me to change it, please let me know which basal and bolus insulins you use. It'll just stop a lot of confusion and limit the potential for unhelpful or even dangerous suggestions.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are using the App, you need to log in on your browser, but if you are struggling, I can sort it for you.

If you want me to do it, please confirm if you want to be classified as T1, or LADA. Your profile also says your treatment is diet, plus Metformin. That's obviously not right either, so that needs to change.

If you want that changed, it's in the same place as Diabetes Type, but again, if you want me to change it, please let me know which basal and bolus insulins you use. It'll just stop a lot of confusion and limit the potential for unhelpful or even dangerous suggestions.

I was using the app but still struggling on the website. Please do change my type to LADA, and my treatment to glargine basal and Humalog bolus. Thank you!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was using the app but still struggling on the website. Please do change my type to LADA, and my treatment to glargine basal and Humalog bolus. Thank you!!

That's done for you. Could you check it please? This is how it displayed in your profile:

upload_2020-7-29_12-54-42.png

I blanked out your date of birth, as it is irrelevant to this exchange, but if you would rather not show it, or just show your year of birth, just let me know. Some feel that's a bit too much information "our there".

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's done for you. Could you check it please? This is how it displayed in your profile:

View attachment 42983

I blanked out your date of birth, as it is irrelevant to this exchange, but if you would rather not show it, or just show your year of birth, just let me know. Some feel that's a bit too much information "our there".

Thank you for sorting that. The information is correct. And Yes, I would rather not show my birthday. Didn’t realize that was out there.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there... i was diagnosed 11 yrs ago. My comfort number is 7 ...if i get to 5 im panicking and go for the J.b. i had a bad hypo years ago and havent got over it. .. my alarm is set for 6.5 so if my actual BGL is less i catch the hypo. Annoying at 4 am when alarm says 6.5 but BGL is 8 but it has been 4.5 .. so as long as im safe thats fine for me . Btw HBA this time 53% time in target 80% so im doing something right! Carry on how you feel safe and keep safe , my consultant said dont go any lower you obv risk hypos the lower you go . Happy days. Keep those hypos at bay, keep it simple try for under 10 , dont anxt about it all
if youre over an odd time . If i can do it playing safe ... you can . Low numbers scare the hell out of me ...some people like to skirt around 5 ... everyone finds their own happy place. . Dont beat yourself up trying to keep low . It can be a scary tight rope just my op , what works for me might not work for you. Just thought id share .

Reactions: JMoli

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I was diagnosed T1 the month before you and totally understand the hypo fear. I rarely can just sit at a number between 5 and 6.5 - it just drops to hypo. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m in the honeymoon period - you might be too? If it gets to less than 5.5 I take two jelly babies now, I find one doesn’t do anything but we are all different so might not work well for anyone else. It often just nudges me up a wee bit and in the safer six zone! I’d love to just sit at 5.5 (between food spikes) but it’s not happening

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there... i was diagnosed 11 yrs ago. My comfort number is 7 ...if i get to 5 im panicking and go for the J.b. i had a bad hypo years ago and havent got over it. .. my alarm is set for 6.5 so if my actual BGL is less i catch the hypo. Annoying at 4 am when alarm says 6.5 but BGL is 8 but it has been 4.5 .. so as long as im safe thats fine for me . Btw HBA this time 53% time in target 80% so im doing something right! Carry on how you feel safe and keep safe , my consultant said dont go any lower you obv risk hypos the lower you go . Happy days. Keep those hypos at bay, keep it simple try for under 10 , dont anxt about it all
if youre over an odd time . If i can do it playing safe ... you can . Low numbers scare the hell out of me ...some people like to skirt around 5 ... everyone finds their own happy place. . Dont beat yourself up trying to keep low . It can be a scary tight rope just my op , what works for me might not work for you. Just thought id share .

Hi, I feel soooo much happier when I’m at 7! Think I’ll change my alarms to 6.5 too overnight - that’s such a good idea. I’ve no idea why but I can’t sit at any number in the fives without plummeting to a hypo, I don’t know how it’s possible!

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided to up my target as well. I can’t handle the stress of hypos. Feels like I’m always on the verge of dying. I was so happy with myself yesterday morning that I finally achieved steady 5’s over night Friday only to fight hypos all day yesterday. Could not sleep last night watching my monitor fall and finally ate a crisp with peanut butter to force it up. Can’t stop crying this morning as I feel I can’t do anything without potentially going hypo. This is horrible.

Last edited:

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no, sending a big hug. Maybe speak with a nurse tomorrow to assess if your basal is too high? I lowered mine yesterday after two hypos in the night and a low reading upon waking. Worst sleep ever. I have to adjust my basal up and down by a unit a few time’s in the month and it usually sorts things out although my hypo fear is till rampant

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basal is everything ! Also timing of bolus is crucial but dont forget ... you manage your own diabetes after that ... if its a JB at 5.0 or 6.0 ...or curry at 10pm keep to whatever is your happy number. ! Keep safe guys NO HYPOS

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I was diagnosed T1 the month before you and totally understand the hypo fear. I rarely can just sit at a number between 5 and 6.5 - it just drops to hypo. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m in the honeymoon period - you might be too? If it gets to less than 5.5 I take two jelly babies now, I find one doesn’t do anything but we are all different so might not work well for anyone else. It often just nudges me up a wee bit and in the safer six zone! I’d love to just sit at 5.5 (between food spikes) but it’s not happening
Ive just got an echo pen so i can deliver half units on my tresiba and novo. Im sensitive to treseba ..17u not enough i stay around 9 ...18u to much i cant fast for longer than 5 hours. Maybe 17 1/2 will sort me out good fun ( not )