Dried Split Red Lentils

Tully

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked up a pack of red lentils in waitrose last month and was very encouraged to note that carbs were labelled as 7.4g per 100g. Not something I normally eat but this sounded great (especially in light of fibre reading of 14.4g per 100g!!), so I've been using them to make daal and soups etc. As I'm running low, I picked up another pack in another supermarket but on reading the labelling after I got home it reads 56g per 100g (no fibre reading). I appreciate that there can be disparities between similar products but this is a huge difference. Any thoughts? Ta much .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make sure you are not comparing dry with cooked weight. Lentils absorb about 3 times their volume of water when cooked.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
56g will be based on dry weight
The other value will be based on cooked weight, I think

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As always, your meter will tell you the truth. I am good with red lentils in moderation, a small mug of them dumped into a curry or casserole will thicken it up and give it a more satisfying texture. I usually make one-pot things based on a couple of tins of tomatoes which generated about 6 servings, so not actually that large a quantity of lentils in each serving.

Newlysweet

Ive discovered soybeans as a tool in my low carb regime - they’re the lowest carb pulse, about 10g/100g cooked which is half that of lentils or black eyed peas, one third that of chickpeas. I haven’t found them in supermarkets, but health food shops or online.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Newlysweet

Thanks, Mr_Pot. It’s the dried ones I use where I would otherwise use chickpeas/lentils. They stay white/beige when cooked, I wonder where the edamame green colour goes when they dry them!

Tully

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Yes on closer examination the 56g per 100g product said uncooked and waitrose product 7.4g per 100g stated "as prepared", so cooked v uncooked makes sense but still a considerable disparity as guess red lentils must be much of a muchness?? I tried in a curry and yes they do work really well! Since my diagnosis I have always incorporated a modest amount of beans in my diet and hba1c numbers (I don't meter currently) seem to suggest I'm okay, so thought red lentils might make a change. Soy beans sound really interesting....I'll be on the lookout! Ta much.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Yes on closer examination the 56g per 100g product said uncooked and waitrose product 7.4g per 100g stated "as prepared", so cooked v uncooked makes sense but still a considerable disparity as guess red lentils must be much of a muchness?? I tried in a curry and yes they do work really well! Since my diagnosis I have always incorporated a modest amount of beans in my diet and hba1c numbers (I don't meter currently) seem to suggest I'm okay, so thought red lentils might make a change. Soy beans sound really interesting....I'll be on the lookout! Ta much.
Meter would confirm exactly which bits of your diet are working for you and which bits are working against you. If you ditch the bits that don’t work, maybe you could enjoy more of the bits that do work for you.

Hb1ac is like a speeding ticket, or not, 3 months after many drives. No way of knowing which journey caused it