Atkins Crispbread question re: gluten

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
My husband has had NCGS since 2012 and doesn't eat any wheat or gluten at all so I haven't either. Recently, I bought Atkins crispbreads from Lowcarbmegastore which gave wheat as an ingredient. In date, undamaged. Day 1 had one with lunch, tasted great. Day 2. after eating one, had upset stomach and rear end probs in a major way. The rest went on the bird table.

My question is, and hoping forum members will know, could I be sensitive to gluten, having not eaten it at all in around eight years ? Is my gut microbiome just unable to deal with it now ? Or have I always been sensitive to gluten, too and just not realised it ?
Many thanks x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has had NCGS since 2012 and doesn't eat any wheat or gluten at all so I haven't either. Recently, I bought Atkins crispbreads from Lowcarbmegastore which gave wheat as an ingredient. In date, undamaged. Day 1 had one with lunch, tasted great. Day 2. after eating one, had upset stomach and rear end probs in a major way. The rest went on the bird table.

My question is, and hoping forum members will know, could I be sensitive to gluten, having not eaten it at all in around eight years ? Is my gut microbiome just unable to deal with it now ? Or have I always been sensitive to gluten, too and just not realised it ?
Many thanks x

Eggs,Eggs,Eggs - The members can't possibly know, and indeed have less chance of knowing than you.

All of that said, I have been gluten free for going on 3 years now, on the advice on an Endo. My tests were expectedly negative, but then, having discussed it at leangth with the Endo, I did not carb up for the test, so to have exhibited significant antibodies would have been very concerning indeed. At the time I agreed t just crack on and go GF.

I thought it would be a dawdle, but of course, that gluten creeps in to the most unexpected of places and foodstuffs.

Having gone GF, I clearly am very sensitive indeed to gluten now, and if I ingest gluten, it takes up to 3 weeks to be rid of the symptoms. Albeit that latter part of that is tapering.

The choice is yours whether you decide to try gluten again, at a time when you could cope with the consequences, whether you ask to be tested, or just move on.

If you decide you would prefer to be tested, I suggest, as well as the relevant antibody tests, you have your vitamins B12 and D, ferritin and folate tested, as well as a bone profile.

Good luck with it, whichever route you elect to take.

Reactions: EggsEggsEggs