1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Atkins Crispbread question re: gluten

Discussion in 'Gluten-free Forum' started by EggsEggsEggs, Aug 1, 2020.

1. EggsEggsEggs

EggsEggsEggs Type 2 · Active Member

My husband has had NCGS since 2012 and doesn't eat any wheat or gluten at all so I haven't either. Recently, I bought Atkins crispbreads from Lowcarbmegastore which gave wheat as an ingredient. In date, undamaged. Day 1 had one with lunch, tasted great. Day 2. after eating one, had upset stomach and rear end probs in a major way. The rest went on the bird table.

My question is, and hoping forum members will know, could I be sensitive to gluten, having not eaten it at all in around eight years ? Is my gut microbiome just unable to deal with it now ? Or have I always been sensitive to gluten, too and just not realised it ?
    Many thanks x

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Eggs,Eggs,Eggs - The members can't possibly know, and indeed have less chance of knowing than you.

All of that said, I have been gluten free for going on 3 years now, on the advice on an Endo. My tests were expectedly negative, but then, having discussed it at leangth with the Endo, I did not carb up for the test, so to have exhibited significant antibodies would have been very concerning indeed. At the time I agreed t just crack on and go GF.

I thought it would be a dawdle, but of course, that gluten creeps in to the most unexpected of places and foodstuffs.

Having gone GF, I clearly am very sensitive indeed to gluten now, and if I ingest gluten, it takes up to 3 weeks to be rid of the symptoms. Albeit that latter part of that is tapering.

The choice is yours whether you decide to try gluten again, at a time when you could cope with the consequences, whether you ask to be tested, or just move on.

If you decide you would prefer to be tested, I suggest, as well as the relevant antibody tests, you have your vitamins B12 and D, ferritin and folate tested, as well as a bone profile.

Good luck with it, whichever route you elect to take.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook