BS at 180 after 1 hr after eating

Shaj07

Hi I just ate a little over 1 hour ago(starting time) , I had Brown stew with slaw and a bit of rice( I know :( )

anyway even WHILE eating I started feeling a lil lightheaded. This became full on dizziness, very hard to breathe, got really hot all the sudden, felt like all my energy was depleted. This has been happening to me more and more after eating usually associated with a headache that will go away after hours. Mind you again these symptoms are only associated with eating.

I tested my BS around 1 hr and it was 180 should I be worried? I actually went to my dr friday yo tell them about the symptoms I was having and I’m supposed to do a 2hr glucose test. The last one I did was maybe 7 years ago and that when I found out I had reactive hypoglycemia. Haven’t been tested since. A1c in January was 5.1( they don’t test this regularly I had to request it because again my symptoms were horrible)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My (limited) understanding from reading these boards is that T2 and RH can occur together, tagging @Brunneria who understands this stuff.

But in any case, the treatment for RH and T2 is the same: reduce the carbohydrate in your diet so as to avoid blood sugar highs, insulin spikes and resulting low blood sugars.

Have you tested your blood sugar while you have symptoms of low energy and light headedness?

If you haven't had an official diagnosis for RH it is worth trying to get one, as there are other (treatable) conditions which can cause blood sugar lows.

Good luck. As a T1 I really hate hypos but I can at least avoid/treat hypos by reducing insulin and/or eating sugar. I have intense sympathy for those who get hypos which cannot just be treated with sugar.

Reactions: Shaj07

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Shaj07

Depending on how many carbs you were eating, a reading of 180 could happen, but in terms of RH it is where your blood glucose goes after that that determines whether you are going hypo or not. So if you are having symptoms at 180, then it doesn't look like an RH hypo.

I suggest you keep testing, and do it more frequently. Before eating, when your symptoms start, and then every half hour until you see exactly what happens.
For example, you may spike at one hour, then your readings might slide down into a hypo a few hours later.

That way you could track exactly what is happening and see if your light headed feeling is tied to your blood glucose being above a certain number. Then you can discuss this with your doc.

I'm glad you are seeing your doc. IF your symptoms are starting while you are still eating, then they may not be connected to blood glucose at all (depends on how fast you eat, and how fast acting the carbs are). There are other things it could be, from blood pressure to food intolerances.

Reactions: EllieM and Shaj07

Shaj07

I wanted to test but I used the last testing strip ( I was told by a nurse years ago that testing was unnecessary so I’m not a regular tester. However I have been trying to test more often the last couple of days. I had a fasting of 99 one day and the next day fasting of 102. The carbs I had yesterday was white rice(which I didn’t even eat all of) and red potatoes. Both of which I believe are fast acting carbs. I have never had an issue with blood pressure except 1 low reading within the year. Everything else was normal range. I feel so miserable the last couple of days that at times it feels better to not eat because I know how I’ll feel after. And this is with most meals. Even low carb. Now of course I can’t skip meals because the RH will jump in and kick my ass from the other side lol. This is exhausting!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I skip meals all the time.
My RH never kicks in unless I eat too many carbs.
I find missing meals very easy - providing I don’t eat too many carbs.

how are you controlling your RH?
Do you follow medical advice to eat carbs every few hours, or do you cut carbs?

Reactions: EllieM

Shaj07

I skip meals all the time.
My RH never kicks in unless I eat too many carbs.
I find missing meals very easy - providing I don’t eat too many carbs.

how are you controlling your RH?
Do you follow medical advice to eat carbs every few hours, or do you cut carbs?

They told me to add more protein and make sure carbs are in the national (USA) intake guidance

Shaj07

And also told me the generic way every 2 hours. Small meals w/ snacks. The same thing they tell everybody I’m sure

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah.
I handle my RH completely differently.
If I ate carbs all the time I would feel so ill... so I don’t. I eat virtually no carbs at all (basically a keto diet) and am RH free - unless I mess up and eat too many carbs.

Being keto is (of course) not what the docs tell us to do, because they are fixated on carbs and the absurdity of the ‘balanced diet’, despite the fact that their patients arrive with them eating that way while experiencing horrible symptoms. Carbs don’t work for me and keto does, because it is (for me) the carbs that trigger the excess insulin, which then causes the hypo).

it is very liberating to be free of RH, and all I needed to do was remove the carbs and eat a good, filling, nutritious keto diet, as often as I am hungry.

Have a read through the other RH threads on here. You will find us giving the same advice over and over and over again - cut the carbs and feel better.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. :)
Start with a good filling keto breakfast of bacon and egg, no bread or other carbs. Then see how you feel all morning. :)