GoApe!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Finger pricks, BGs above 10/below 4...
Hello all!

Doing my first (since diagnosis in June) day-out/day-away-from-supplies on Friday...GoApe! :woot:

I realise it isn't exactly extreme sports;) but would it be advisable to reduce my Lantus (the night before) or NR intake (on the day)?...or do I just stock up on some low GI foods?....really don't like the idea of fighting lows all day!
Going to be pretty warm too - may make a difference...?

Thanks in advance!:happy:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Woohoo. I did GoApe last year. Luckily I am on a pump and did reduce my basal for the few hours I was there. I also have the Libre and miaomiao combination to alert me for lows. Have an amazing day and don't worry too much about your diabetes BUT do keep an eye on your bloods :)

Reactions: GINsulinJunkie
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your replys :)

In Response - Good point regarding it possibly causing an increase - hadn't thought of that!!...I haven't actually been before although I'm usually ok with heights so fingers-crossed!

porl69 - Yes, mercifully I also have the Libre - saves trying to do a blood test while hanging from a wire!:woot:

Reactions: In Response

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all!

Doing my first (since diagnosis in June) day-out/day-away-from-supplies on Friday...GoApe! :woot:

I realise it isn't exactly extreme sports;) but would it be advisable to reduce my Lantus (the night before) or NR intake (on the day)?...or do I just stock up on some low GI foods?....really don't like the idea of fighting lows all day!
Going to be pretty warm too - may make a difference...?

Thanks in advance!:happy:

GoApe! is great fun. On the more challenging pieces or traverses, there are usually easier routes for those who either find the heights or the physical exertion a bit much, but I just went for it, big style, for the whole things.

I went with a group of about a dozen, as someone's leaving do, from work. The girl who was leaving was terrified of heights, but because everyone else wanted to go she went for it.

We knew exactly where she was at any given time, as we could hear her screaming her way around the course. Fair play to her.

I hope you have a fab time. I'd go again in a trice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was literally at Goape 2 weeks ago with my daughter and her friend for a birthday treat, oddly enough I went low before we started climbing so had glucotabs in the back pocket and treated then stayed roughly around 7-8 mmol/l during, you can get a bag to carry stuff so keep your glucose in that, apart from having to tell a group of youths directly behind us who kept pulling the ropes whilst we were on them, I didn’t find anything to worry about, it takes around 2.5 hours but great time, always good to try things like this to feel normal so hope you have fun.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your replies DCUKMod and Juicyj :):)

Am really looking forward to it - have felt so much better since the re-introduction of insulin:D:D - definitely couldn't have managed it in the few weeks up to diagnosis!:meh: