No insulin and VERY LOW BLOOD SUGAR

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If blood glucose is going low without injected insulin, something must be causing the beta cells to make too much insulin. I would want to be checked for insulinoma.

Diabestie

And another question does insulinoma cause high blood sugar ....he was admitted to the hospital in DKA with blood sugars over 300..

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He has been diagnosed with Type 1 amonth ago .Could he be honeymooning ?
A T1 on honeymoon and not injecting insulin wouldn't be expected to go low. Apparently no basal or bolus insulin hd been injected.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And another question does insulinoma cause high blood sugar ....he was admitted to the hospital in DKA with blood sugars over 300..
Usually not. But if a dysfunctional pancreas makes too much insulin, making too little insulin as well would not be surprising.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This phenomenon is known anecdotally and it happened to me in the years before my T1 diagnosis. I would get hypos all the time, despite not being on insulin (yet)

The pancreas is somehow impaired and the body knows this. So it tries to over-compensate

As time goes on your ability to do this will decrease and you will become completely insulin dependent

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This can happen if the phase 1 insulin response deteriorates while enough phase 2 insulin to return blood glucose to normal is still being produced. Happens more when T1 onset is in adulthood. Because insulin is produced when blood glucose goes up, eating ketogenically or at least very low carb may help prevent the hypos.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Adult onset here, and it happened to me too. Lived with frequent hypos many years before diagnosis and without injected insulin. I would also think lowering carbs would improve the situation as it is a dodgy response to eating carbs