Libre Sensors coming off in the heat

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have had two Libre Sensors come off in the past week.
When I examined the last one it was clear that the adhesive was hardly even "tacky", let alone a strong glue.

I would like to invite comments on four subjects:

1. Is it possible that the recent heat and humidity are having an adverse effect?
Clearly, like most people, I am "perspiring" more than normal.

2. Can anyone recommend any way to reduce the possibility of another failure?
Some sort of SkinTac BEFORE I apply the sensor or the best way to cover the sensor to stop it shifting

3. Has anyone else experienced this problem recently?

4. Could this also be linked to the change of Adhesive in July 2019?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve only worn two, I live on a tropical island on the equator where it’s really hot and humid, 24/7/365. No issues, in fact they were hard to get off. I did cover mine with tegaderm, probably unnecessarily.

I shaved my arm and clean with alcohol beforehand.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had no issue. 9 days in, still good. Have been working out doors recently landscaping customer's hell hole sun traps?

To date in two years? I haven't lost one.

What I do do before fitting a sensor is exfoliate the area during a shower, & always fit under arm. (No hair.) After further cleaning with the supplied wipe? And allowing to dry.

Mine has been tested on it's endurance lately with my activities. Fair bit of arm movement.
All I use is the sensor's adhesive & an after market arm band holding a Miaomiao Bluetooth transmitter over the top.

Reactions: pand

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I have to shave, as a very Hairy guy. But not lost sensors before. I too have a MiaoMiao with a holder.

I think I may have to stick something over the top to hold the next one on.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I’ve only worn two, I live on a tropical island on the equator where it’s really hot and humid, 24/7/365. No issues, in fact they were hard to get off. I did cover mine with tegaderm, probably unnecessarily.

I shaved my arm and clean with alcohol beforehand.
Well, that blows the 1st theory out of the water then Dan. Singapore? I spent 10 years in Borneo (pre diabetes).

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Well, that blows the 1st theory out of the water then Dan. Singapore? I spent 10 years in Borneo (pre diabetes).

Yep Singapore. Though everyone is a bit different, sweat PH, skin types etc. so it could still be the heat alongside other factors.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to shave, as a very Hairy guy. But not lost sensors before. I too have a MiaoMiao with a holder.

I think I may have to stick something over the top to hold the next one on.
Sounds like a plan, can use plaster with holes in for sensors for a bit of extra sticking power. I had one come loose but I had knackered it, the it kept giving me readings that where out, got fed up and took it off. Mine are always superglued to me, leaving bruises and circle marks. I use the alcohol wipe it comes with and let dry. I did get an email from Abbott lately saying about it being hot and sticking, so maybe they’ve had lots of people with the same issues! It was a tips on how to put it on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started using this stuff
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019M038XO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
over the top.
I was being grown up at the time of the purchase and bought the flesh coloured one.
My inner child says that is boooorrrrriiiiinnnnnnggggg, and the next purchase has to be either camo or brightly coloured. Or both.

I find it is excellent, easy to replace, when its corners start to peel, and since I use it over the Libre and a bubble (previously miaomiao) I can easily avoid pulling the Libre off when I do so.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do Abbott replace them if they come off in the heat?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do Abbott replace them if they come off in the heat?
They sure do

Skin tac is probably one of the best things to use. For some reason you can only get the wipes in the UK (please correct me if I am wrong) the bottles seem to be USA only

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have only had problems with 2 consecutive libre sensors, both of which came off after a few days. Mostly they stick really well. I wear a Miaomiao on top with a plastic 3D printed holder over it. However, I have been having issues with Roche cannulas coming loose even using skintac. Happens every year when very hot, rest of the year they're fine.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I recommend joining the Abbott Libre facebook group. There was a discussion on this topic recently - you are not alone in losing sensors in the heat that there has been in the Uk recently. As for the stickiness, apparently, different glue is used in hotter climates.
SkinTac and Tagaderm were both suggested.

Hi "In Response"... which Libre Facebook Group do you recommend?

Abbott Freestyle Libre users
OR
UK users | Freestyle Libre

They are both private groups
Thanks

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi,

Thank you all for all of your feedback.
Here is my current status:

Question above was: "Do Abbott replace them if they come off in the heat?"
I contacted Abbott Customer Service on their Careline number, which is 0800 1701177
I spoke to an advisor & i will be receiving a replacement sensor through the post in 3 to 5 working days.

Questions i was asked:
  • Name, email address, Postcode, 1st line of address.
  • Have i been using the Libre Sensor System very long
    over 3 years
  • Do i get my sensors on the NHS?
    I am not quite sure of the relevance of this, but "hey ho".
  • Serial number of the sensor?
  • How long had it been on?
  • What was i doing when it came off?
    Watching TV, scanning the sensor with my phone
  • Was i sweating at the time?
    • I am a man, so i did not have an issue with this question, but i feel it would be a bit impolite for a lady
      (Sorry if anyone feels this is sexist)
    • I also pointed out that the majority of the UK is sweating at this point in time - lol
This seemed to be all that the customer service agent wanted to know. I got the distinct impression that he has had to deal with a number of these calls today.

I emailed my Diabetes team and they made the following recommendations:
  • Be sure to clean the area to be used
  • Be sure that it is dry
  • Always use the wipe provided
  • ensure that you do not shower within 2 hours of applying the sensor
  • Purchase and use SKIN TAC wipes
  • use a roll on antiperspirant in the site before applying the SKIN TAC
  • Cover the sensor with vet wrap, self adhesive bandage or micropore tape for increased security.
    Oddly, the Abbott Customer Care person said NOT to cover the sensor, because there is a hole on the top of the sensor which must be kept uncovered to allow the skin to breath.
    I did not know this, perhaps it warrants more discussion.
  • Consider a few days without a sensor & go back to finger sticks for a few days
I felt that this last idea might actually be worth it. Especially if the current heat wave is going to abate in the near future.

I ordered and have received two SKIN TAC WIPES, as a trial before buying a larger quantity.

Bearing in mind the advice of the Customer Care Agent, i am not sure about buying any form of tape, but thanks for the ideas.

I already use a MiaoMiao with a holder, but i think that at the moment, the elasticated holder may be causing part of the issue and have decided not to use it for a while.

Thanks everyone

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I contacted Abbott Customer Service on their Careline number, which is 0800 1701177
I spoke to an advisor & i will be receiving a replacement sensor through the post in 3 to 5 working days.

Questions i was asked:
    over 3 years
    • I am a man, so i did not have an issue with this question, but i feel it would be a bit impolite for a lady
    • I also pointed out that the majority of the UK is sweating at this point in time - lol
This seemed to be all that the customer service agent wanted to know. I got the distinct impression that he has had to deal with a number of these calls today.

• Be sure that it is dry
  • Cover the sensor with vet wrap, self adhesive bandage or micropore tape for increased security.
    Oddly, the Abbott Customer Care person said NOT to cover the sensor, because there is a hole on the top of the sensor which must be kept uncovered to allow the skin to breath.
  • Consider a few days without a sensor & go back to finger sticks for a few days
I felt that this last idea might actually be worth it. Especially if the current heat wave is going to abate in the near future.

I ordered and have received two SKIN TAC WIPES, as a trial before buying a larger quantity.

Bearing in mind the advice of the Customer Care Agent, i am not sure about buying any form of tape, but thanks for the ideas.

I already use a MiaoMiao with a holder, but i think that at the moment, the elasticated holder may be causing part of the issue and have decided not to use it for a while.

Thanks everyone

my suggestion is to snip a small hole in whatever you choose to cover it with. Personally, I always choose breathable tape, so don’t consider lack of ventilation a reason not to use a cover. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Questions i was asked:
    over 3 years

• Be sure that it is dry

Thanks everyone

Hi,

Are you using the MM strap that came in the kit, or an after market laser cut model sourced elsewhere.?
I found the MM strap came loose & slipped a lot.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi,

Are you using the MM strap that came in the kit, or an after market laser cut model sourced elsewhere.?
I found the MM strap came loose & slipped a lot.

I am using an after market model that was 3D printed.
However, i am going to try using the Kinesiology Tape as recommended by Brunneria to go over the top of the MM and the Libre. I have purchased the BRIGHT YELLOW tape to match my Car!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am using an after market model that was 3D printed.
However, i am going to try using the Kinesiology Tape as recommended by Brunneria to go over the top of the MM and the Libre. I have purchased the BRIGHT YELLOW tape to match my Car!
Same here.
:) I was going for black on the laser cut, like my van. :D
but went for a nuteral grey? Up until the lockdown killed the scene it was pretty invisible under the stage lighting?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
mine kept coming off from banging into things
like doorways and such
i tried duct tape it worked good but hurt alot after a few days
i had it wrapped around my arm like a headband
so i bought some sports tape
meant for people who do alot of sports
its working good too
but it does hurt too
the really fleshy part of my arm
the part people may call a wing on heavy people
thats where it hurts
so next time i have to try something just to cover the sensor
but i cant afford the things online they sell for the
sensors
is there something else i can use?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mine kept coming off from banging into things
like doorways and such
i tried duct tape it worked good but hurt alot after a few days
i had it wrapped around my arm like a headband
so i bought some sports tape
meant for people who do alot of sports
its working good too
but it does hurt too
the really fleshy part of my arm
the part people may call a wing on heavy people
thats where it hurts
so next time i have to try something just to cover the sensor
but i cant afford the things online they sell for the
sensors
is there something else i can use?

hi,

you can place the next sensor further round to behind your arm. That helped me a lot.

I also use ‘sports tape’ also known as kinesiology tape. I get it from Amazon for around £2 a roll.