Starting a gluten-free diet!!

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had terrible stomach pains for nearly 2 weeks, I thought it was ibs and stress. But I ate some noodles today and it gave me such a bad stomach pain and I do eat a lot of foods that have gluten in them. I don't know why I didn't think of it before today, as I realised as well it was with all foods I ate (most with gluten) and not just certain foods that follow stomach pains associated with ibs.

What I want to know is,

Will this affect my diabetes (type 1)?
And, does gluten intolerance go away or are you stuck with it?

I'm going to do this for a week and see what happens if the stomach pains go I'll see a doctor, and if they stay I'll still go to the doctor.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would see the GP anyway as one week gluten free may not tell you if you have an intolerance to it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would see the GP anyway as one week gluten free may not tell you if you have an intolerance to it.
Be aware that if you need to be tested for coeliacs disease then you need to ingest gluten for a couple of weeks before the test, as it specifically looks for antibodies to gluten in your blood. Though coeliacs is much less likely than general gluten intolerance, it is something that they like to test T1s for occasionally as apparently it's more common for us than for the general population.

I can't see why going gluten free would affect your diabetes specifically.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had terrible stomach pains for nearly 2 weeks, I thought it was ibs and stress. But I ate some noodles today and it gave me such a bad stomach pain and I do eat a lot of foods that have gluten in them. I don't know why I didn't think of it before today, as I realised as well it was with all foods I ate (most with gluten) and not just certain foods that follow stomach pains associated with ibs.

What I want to know is,

Will this affect my diabetes (type 1)?
And, does gluten intolerance go away or are you stuck with it?

I'm going to do this for a week and see what happens if the stomach pains go I'll see a doctor, and if they stay I'll still go to the doctor.

Alex - You should see your GP, if you think you have issues with gluten. As a T1 you are more likely to have other auto-immune issues, once you have one already (your T1). Coeliac disease is an auto-immune condition caused by a reaction to gluten.

The tests for Coeliac are firstly a simple blood test (for antibodies). Depending on that result other tests could be done. If, however, you are to have a test, it is usual not to start on a gluten-free diet beforehand, because the aims of a GF diet is to reduce the inflammation experienced because of the gluten. Going GF, then doing the blood test would be a bit like testing for a headache after we've taken an aspirin.

Secondly, to give a GF a fair trial, many need to stick with it for several weeks, before noticing much improvement, because it can take that long for chronic inflammation to subside. For me, it certainly took several weeks.

Alex, it's not easy going gluten free. Soooooo many foods, and drinks, contain gluten - even things you would be astonished about. Most cola drinks just as an example? Worcestershire and soy sauce, and so on.

In your shoes, I'd get an appointment made with my GP to ask to be tested, and crack on with that, and then decide if you go GF. To be perfectly candid, I wouldn't go GF on a whim. That said, one comment my Endo made was that he believes anyone with an AI condition should consider going GF, and it is such a common cause on inflammation, which we're better off without.

I wish you luck Alex.

If you end up having to go GF, it's not the end of the world, but it's a lot to get your head around, and if you need to get you Mum (or whoever cooks at home) on board, it'd be good for them to understand it's not a fashion statement. I know, initially, my OH just couldn't get his head around it.

Sandy Cooper

Starting a gluten-free diet!
Hi there friends, My name is Sandy and I'm new here on the forum. Really amazing support and amazing guidance from the members here. Got really interested in gluten free diet. Would someone please suggest me what foods to start with?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there friends, My name is Sandy and I'm new here on the forum. Really amazing support and amazing guidance from the members here. Got really interested in gluten free diet. Would someone please suggest me what foods to start with?
Hi Sandy
Well gluten free is more avoiding foods with gluten so foods to ignore would be anything made with wheat.
Fresh home cooked food from raw ingredients is always best. Meat, fish , eggs. dairy, above ground veg, salads are usually most beneficical. No cakes , bread, spuds, rice, pasta or other stodge

Sandy Cooper

Hi Sandy
Well gluten free is more avoiding foods with gluten so foods to ignore would be anything made with wheat.
Fresh home cooked food from raw ingredients is always best. Meat, fish , eggs. dairy, above ground veg, salads are usually most beneficical. No cakes , bread, spuds, rice, pasta or other stodge

Okay, I'll start with these first and then see what helps me best. Thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sandy, my suggestion to you would be, if you have no medical reason to adopt a gluten-free diet you shelve that idea for now. A gluten-free diet can be hard work - even when medically required.

If you are concerned to control diabetes, then gluten-free could be an unnecessary level of complexity. In my view, it's best to keep things simple, where possible.