Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
Hi All,
Having a few issues with Metformin tablets,i was diagnosed T1 in June started them then along with my novo and lantus pens.Inoticed my feet were swelling legs getting stiff couldnt hardly bend so i called the doctor but with covid ongoing its a pain however when i told them the sysmptons etc they agreed for me to go up.
I had an examination got put on water tablets had the Metformin put up to an extra tablet so im now on 1500mg which has resulted in really bad stomach cramps diorrhea and feeling pretty rotten.
Im not one for reading the side effects on tablets as i wouldnt take them at the best of times,so i read the Metformin seems everything i been feeling is there but instead of the doctor looking at them has put them up ?
it doesnt make sense to me so ive stopped taking them for the time being as i seriously cant deal with anymore.
i will be ringing the nurse tomorrow as i feel my doc hasnt helped my situation
it was tuesday i went the docs back wednesday for more bloods me calling thursday saying now i got cramps n diarrhea to be told be monday now but we done a prescription for metformin gastro resistant....do they work ive read many peoples comments and it dont look good
thanks

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Have you been told why the doctor prescribed metformin alongside insulin?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm loathe to make any comments on medication (and we're not allowed to) but I am always at a loss to understand why you're put on one medication (sometimes dubiously), it then causes a side effect and hey ho, here's another medicine added to counteract that side effect. No wonder people end up on 20 different meds. Having said that, as posted above you really should ask the Doctor why SPECIFICALLY they have prescribed ANY meds for you. The insulin is obvious of course but anything else and I would be asking why. x

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thanks for your comments im going to have to go back an ask alot of when i was fist diagnosed is all a blank i will take my partner anotther pair of ears maybe best

Reactions: JenniferM55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Carptastic - I'm not defending your Doc, or suggesting you are wrong, but many drug patient information leaflets make grim reading.

In terms of how Metformin works; it sort of oils the wheels of how our bodies deal with insulin - whether our own or injected. It just helps it work a bit more efficiently.

Metformin is a drug used by many, many T2, but also, it seems increasingly more T1s. Unfortunately, if my memory serves me correctly, about 10% of people taking it have tummy upsets in the early days. In most cases it passes, or the slow release, which your Doc seems to be suggesting, can be tried. It is usually very well tolerated. Some do find it best to increase their dosing levels slowly, in order to help their tolerance to the medication build up.

For those carrying any extra weight, it can help them trim up a little, but not everyone loses weight whilst taking it.

It makes sense that you have a conversation with your team, to address your concerns. How did you come to be diagnosed? Did you become very unwell? Do you see anyone at a hospital clinic?

Sorry for all the questions, but it just helps people ensure they offer you suitable thoughts.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Having a few issues with Metformin tablets,i was diagnosed T1 in June started them then along with my novo and lantus pens. ...
I would ask the doctor why metformin has been prescribed. It is not usually used by T1s. Metformin can help, even for T1s, with reducing insulin required and weight loss. But many people can't tolerate it. I would tell the doctor that I wanted to stop the metformin for a while at least and see if the discomfort goes away.

Vplum

I am also a Type 1 on metformin. It was prescribed to me to help my liver function and because at certain times of the day I seem to be becoming more resistant to insulin. I was taking it with my evening meal and over the course of 4 weeks I had to increase my tablets so I was taking 4. I had to stay on 3 tablets for a couple of weeks because of the "stomach cramps". When I went up to 4 tablets, I physically couldn't leave the house for fear of not being able to get to a toilet. I spoke to teh DSN and she changed the time I take my metformin and halved the dosage and no problems since. I just have the standard release ones, but speak to the DSN to understand what your options are.

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late reply,the metmorfin tablets were stopped straight away within a few days symptons stopped :) ive had alot of issues with my mental health etc acceptance being one of them and stress.
I was accepted for the freestyle libre a week ago and im now getting used to that slowly.